Break Up the Starters

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Jun 9, 2006.

?

Who don't we need?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2006.
  1. Chauncey

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Rip

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Tay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sheed

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Ben

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Pierce is much, much better at both ends of the floor than either Rip or Tayshaun. He would definitely be a starter.

And Cato? Exactly why would the Pistons keep that lazy, fat piece of salary dump? Especially if they get Butler, who is twice the player Houston or Orlando ever got out of his contract.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'd have to agree. You can't have a max player in Pierce coming off the bench. I'd rather see him play SF with Rip, with Tay coming off the bench to lead the second unit. Tay has a hard time getting enough touches with the starting guards.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Or Bring Rip off the Bench as our NEW MICROWAVE. In the Piston era's we've had great 3 guard roatations (Zeke,Joe,Vinny), and a great 3 frontcourt rotation (Sheed,Ben,Dyess) now a great 3 WING ROTATION!!!! (Pierce, Rip, Tay):eyebrows: . If Dyess were to step up into the starting spot and give us 16&8, we could be the first team to have 6 ALL-STARS!!!!!!! Then our big headedness could go down in the history of Overconfident Arrogance............c'mon guys ya' gotta see the VISION in this one:P
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I agree. I'd want Rip off the bench if we were to get Pierce. Rip can shoot whenever and Tay needs more rythm. I don't think we have a chance at getting Paul Pierce though.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Got me thinking about Kaman... the kid grew up a Piston fan...
    maybe just play it out and after next year he lands in our lap in a S&T.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

All of a sudden now no one would move Tay?
    Himat thanks for having my back on CB, what do they want 19, 7, ?
    25, 4, ? 10 and 10 !
    Max you're forgiven.
  7. max

max All-Star

I would move any player if it improved the team. Has to be a deal that makes sense and not just something to shake up the team. I think Ben would be best utilized going back to PF but what kind of center can we get for Sheed or Dyess? Rip has been out most reliable guy in the big games but if Miami gets swept and Wade refuses to sign and states an admiration for the Pistons then who wouldn't see Rip for Wade as an upgrade? Not going to happen but thats an example of a trade that improves the team.

With our starters I don't think you can demote anyone of them to the bench at this point. Be too crushing and would cause some problems. Have to move them if we want to upgrade anything.

I Just don't see any realistic scenerios that would improve the team. We still have a great core and with some help from the bench and better management to get the team to peak in the playoffs instead of in Feb we will take the trophy.
  8. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Prince is relatively unmoveable due to his contract situation, not due to his performance or lack thereof.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

With everyone but CB under fresh contracts this season. Maybe there won't be the minutes issue and guys will come off the bench.
    Mark Agguire came off the bench for Worm.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:fingerscr. If we get these bench guys some minutes we could have the best bench in the league. Right now Dallas has the best bench in the league and next season if we play the players I think we will the benches would be

Lindsey/Acker vs Devin Harris/Griffin
    Delfino vs Stackhouse
    Amir vs Marquis Daniels
    Maxiell vs Vanhorn
    Dice vs Diop.

Don't tell me that those benches can't be closely matched.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think we lose the Stack and VanHorn matchups.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think we'd lose the Pg gaurd matchup, but maxiell would win out on Vanhorn.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The more I think about it the more I think this current squad can beat Miami as is....
    Shaq & Zo are getting closer to retirement.
    The Heat may not be able to use the MLE... they're looking at a max deal for Wade.
    I'm not sure how the Pistons could have played much worse... Sheed's ankle didn't help the situation.
    We could be one decent bench player from leaving little doubt... they did beat the Heat 3 of 4 during the season.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Oh yeah, The Pistons will be playing the Heat in an exhibition game in Puerto Rico this fall... you can guess who the home crowd will be rooting for :^)
  15. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Just reading this type of thread is scary and almost hurts, but that's one thing I dig about this forum.... REAL Pistons fans and the ability to keep it real on the harshest of subjects like this. I'm not even ready to respond on this one just yet folks but I do feel quality SG's are easier to find that good high quality pg's like C-note. With that said as far as the ego goes, that is one reason I really, REALLY didn't ever want Chauncey to be so seriously considered as an MVP candidate... I think it took away from our flow a bit and even how good his fellow teammates are as well. Not to mention it indeed swelled his head a bit and put the bullseye on his back for opponents to aim at. As a former HS player myself it was nothing better to light a fire under me than knowing I'm about to face off with some highly touted player who I know isn't much better than myself if better at all.... You are just automatically amped to give this so called street & smith/mcdonald's/mr basketball/mvp candidate the freckin business in the worst way!
  16. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Well said Merc old buddy!!! This indeed is an interesting thread just to kick it hypothetically about, but in Pistons reality all talk of actually breaking up that starting 5 are BEYOND pre mature. By the way the ruling handed down on Stack SUCKS!!!!! Call me old school or whatever but that was nothing more than a grown azz man playoff foul.
  17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I still stand by my thought that if "Flip ball" continues, Ben is useless on this team. I'm praying that a coming to Jesus meeting with Joe fixes things. This however does nothing for us in the playoffs where adjustments can be the kicker and a close series. I'm not so sure that can be taught. Hopefully assembling a staff of three head coaches behind the sidelines helps. (Porter, O'Brien, Flip)

As far as the starting 5 goes, I am in agreement that it would be difficult to get fair value for any of our players.

Tay - Best player on the team right now who has not peaked. This would be a stupid risk to take. His contract is a steal!

Ben - Most likely candidate to be moved but to lose him would be to completely forfeit the defensive identity of this team. That is a mistake. No one matches this guys "big man" defensive intensity except for perhaps KG. And we know that's not going to happen.

Rip - In my opinion, the best defender on the team last year. A couple tweaks to the offense and he's right back on track. Not alot of players like him in the league. His contract is a steal as well!

Mr. Big Head - Took a BIG step back this year, but that does not mean he is not capeable of rebounding from a poor second half of the season. What is typically forgotten is the size advantage C-Note has against most of the league. One of the reasons why Joe was interested in Chauncey in the first place was his ability to guard physical point guards effectively. Rather than looking to trade Chauncey, we should see this as an oppourtnity to get him to sign a manageable contract. Sign a legit point forward or point guard as a backup and we have the push necessary to keep Chauncey in check during the game.

Sheed - Please don't underestimate the impact he can have on this team. When Sheed and Ben play at a high level defensively there is simply no frontcourt better defensively in the entire league. Add in the griminess that Sheed can bring along with his on-court communication and you have intangibles that are not easily replaced.

To summarize, our current style of play which is not defensively minded exposes alot of weaknesses in our roster. We've virtually eliminated our ability to get high percentage easy baskets. The easiest way to prevent us from solely being a perimeter shooting team is to get baskets in transistion.

Reestablish our defensive identity. Push the starters with a hungry bench.

Just don't return to lazy Flip ball! It will lead us to nothing but early playoff disappointments.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Motown, i think if we get a back up for CB he'll morph back into BigShot rather than BigHead. The guy just didn't have it when he needed it. As for Sheed everyone here witnessed how average we are without him. The team was starting to slide and after Sheed tweaked his ankle the Pistons just couldn't climb back up.
  19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

After careful thought I really hope all the starters come back next year. Their egos, and fatigue destroyed them last year. Having siad that those two issues should be addresed by a deeper bench (and a coach that trusts them) and accepting the fact, the rest of the league ain`t scared of you!!!

Forget about HCA, our team is built for the playoffs; isn`t that what we kept hearing last year? The only team that took advantage of playing at home was the Miami Heat, and they lost the first two on the road. The Pistons can win on the road in the regular season or the Playoffs.

After being scared half to death by the Cav`s and being manhandled by the Heat, our veteran starting five should come out focused and committed to win, and win it all.

After all, if you are scared halt to death twice, then what? You break up the starters then, because they are dead!!

So, with a new focus, and perhaps, Speedy and Harrington coming off the bench, with a hungry J-Max, Amir, Delfino, Cato, and Lindsey, we will be fine......
  20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Gotcha there Dlev. I think this team either has a glorious title run next year or hell breaks loose.