Breaking News: Mooch has been FIRED!!

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Winless Wonders, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Well it has happened. Mooch has been fired as head coach of the Lions but does it even matter? Millen is still in charge. Can he be trusted to bring in a good coach. Will he even interview canidates this time? Or will he make another dumb move like give the job to Jarron and give him a 4 year deal.

We need a hard nose coach that will whip these cry baby finger pointing players into shape. I don't see that happening as long as the Fords own this team. They always put there hands in the mix screwing up things. Owners own and coaches coach. Thats how it should be. The Coach should not have to clear who they are playing at QB with the GM or the owner . Until a coach has 100% control and asserts that control and tells the Fords to butt out I don't see a winning team every coming to Detroit.:frusty:
  2. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Breaking news: Mariucci fired

Breaking news. Per ESPN news, citing the AP; the Detroit Lions have fired head coach Steve Mariucci. More as details come in. It's on the front page of CBSSportsLine.com as well.
  3. Zoso

Winless

I see you beat me to it. And by only one minute.:laugh:

They're now reporting that the offensive lines coach as well as the tight ends coach have been fired along with Mooch.
  4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I see I beat you by a couple of minutes. :eyebrows: Have you heard who is taking over as head coach? Please don't say Jarron!!:mad:
  5. Zoso

Winless

Nothing mentioned yet, as far as a replacement for Mooch. As a matter of fact, they still have details coming in. I'll try to keep the situation updated as the info comes in.
  6. Zoso

Article on Mariucci's firing

After much deliberation, Lions fire Mariucci
    Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 38 minutes ago

Motown is moving on ... finally.

Sources have told FOXSports.com that after much speculation and deliberation, the Lions have fired head coach Steve Mariucci.
    The same sources said they believe defensive coordinator %%%% Jauron would be the team's interim head coach, but that has not yet been confirmed.
  7. Zoso

This is from NFL.com

Lions fire head coach Mariucci
    NFL.com wire reports

DETROIT (Nov. 28, 2005) -- The disappointing Detroit Lions fired coach Steve Mariucci and some of his assistants, a team official told The Associated Press.

After Detroit lost 27-7 to the Atlanta Falcons on Thanksgiving to fall to 4-7, reports swirled that the team was considering firing Mariucci. When Mariucci was not let go over the weekend, some thought his job was safe for the final five games of the regular season.

Mariucci and the assistants were fired late Monday morning, said the team official, who spoke with the AP on the condition of anonymity because the team had not yet made the official announcement.

The Lions have lost four of five games since a solid start put them atop the NFC North with the Chicago Bears. The team has collapsed on and off the field with players failing to produce and some bickering with one another and questioning the coaches' game plans.
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

(1) nope
    (2)nope
    (3)either way he'll mess up
    (4) probably

Millen needs to go too. Ford needs to sell. Call me when that happens.:frusty:
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yawn... oh ya mean they play football in Detroit?

It starts and ends with Millan... he hires the coaches and brings in the players... he should have been first out the door.

It's more healthy to ignore this sad sack bunch.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Press conference rumoured to be scheduled for 4:00.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Glory days

[​IMG]

Who thought the Big Buck would be the standard against which all future Lions coaches would be judged?
  12. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

here we go again

since the wayne-o era of 96 we have had ross,moeller, marty, mooch and now what do we stick with the wco or do we actually try to win games
  13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

This team has continued to be laughable. This is one of the saddest franchises in sports. Reason #24 I can't watch them any more.

I feel bad for my dad who continues to sit through these embarassements (sp?) on a weekly basis. I feel more for him than anyone.
  14. detteam

detteam All-Star

Amen

But in WCF's convoluted wisdom, Millen earned a 5-year extension after compiling the NFL's worst winning % during his tenure, as well as an NFL record 24 game road losing streak.

So WHO truly is responsible for this cesspool of a team?

I urge Lions fans everywhere to stop supporting this team and force Mr. Ford to sell the team because it is not profitable for him. I urge all box owners to not re-up when their leases expire. I urge retailers to stop carrying Lions products.
  15. Zoso

Press conference & Roy Williams audio links

For those that may have missed it. Here's an audio link to the Lions press conference where you can hear Matt Millen and Richard Jauron's comments today.

Also, here's an audio link to Roy Williams' comments on the Mariucci firing.

Both taken from WDFN by Mlive.com
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Just saw an interview of Tom Izzo regarding Mooch's firing. He said he's happy for Steve cuz it sucks to have a gun to your head every week.

Mooch isn't the greatest coach in the world, but he was not the Lions inherent problem.
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

18. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

19. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree completely.

When Mooch first got here, I thought that the team was finally heading in the right direction. But Mooch just isn't a strong enough personallity to handle all of these young, inexperienced, SPOILED players. If this were a veteran team things would be totally different, but this team needs a Tuna or a Ditka type personality.

I wish him all the best.

I'm glad Tollner was demoted but he should have been fired as well. Millen talked about the coaches needing to adapt to the players they have (the same thing Flip said when he first took over the Pistons). Tollner didn't change a thing. The guy was as conservative and predictable as they come.

Its funny, I was just on the Lions official web site and they had a an article called "'Goin' Deep!' Detroit Lions Offensive Skills Youth Clinic".

HAHAHAHA Talk about Irony. If the Lions actually practiced what they preached Mooch would still have a job right now and the Lions would be in 1st place in the division.
  20. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

The Fords are the main problem I used to watch but this year was the last straw.Millen is next in line but maybe he will be given enough extensions he will pull out a winning season in the year 2050.8-8 we will be happy to finish .500