Breaking News: Mooch has been FIRED!!

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Winless Wonders, Nov 28, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Millen was an idiot in the press conference. My hope is that he brings in a coach that can compensate for his buffonery.

Did anyone hear that Dre Bly went off on Harrington? Said that Harrington cost Mooch his job and should be gone.

I think Bly should shut up. Another player showing zero leadership.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Have you ever seen Millen NOT acting like an idiot? I agree with you on Bly too. I doubt it's true, but even if it is he needs to stfu.

3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hope that isn't true. This team is already badly divided. Joey just can't seem to catch a break...

4. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Alright, in my oinion.

Players need to stop talking to the press.

The coach, whoever it is, needs to control this.

The coach needs to condition the players (injuries), control the atmosphere (finger pointing), control the players (complaining), run the right drills (dropped balls, missed coverage, missed blocks), and make the right moves on personel (try using the RB's to run).

Mooch did none of this.

Mooch took over for Bill Walsh in San Fran. A team full of veterans who knew what it took to win. The longer he stayed, the more young guys they got, and the less they won. And he was fired.

It seems apparent to me that he was never the right man to turn around a team full of young guys like the Lions.

This team needs a hard nosed, not going to take any crap from the player, run drills, treat everyone equal coach.

Maybe they should find a college coach, who's used to dealing with immature people, and putting the fear of god into his players.

5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I feel this firing was wrong

Mooch should have been retained as a consultant for the new coach. He could have fed him lines to use in news conferences after Lions losses. Now the new coach will have to study film of Mooch's news conferences. What a waste of time.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Guys, it was 100% true. I listened to the Dre Bly interview. He sounded like a complete idiot. How anyone can be on that sideline and not see that Moochirooni was completely incompetent is beyond me.

http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/highlightreel/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_highlightreel/archives/2005_11.html#096498

I listened to the Corey Sledge radio show tonight and he said that guys like Mariucci take care of the vets by not pushing them too hard. The problem is that the young guys were not responding to that much freedom.

He really thinks that Millen will bring in a disciplinarian next year. He even quipped "well, we had it good for a few years"...

But he also said that he would rather win that have a comfortable coach. Winning takes care of everything...

7. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

Matt Millen is the worst front office guy in the NFL. I am not saying that Mooch should not have been fired. However, at least Mooch has won some games in his career. Matt Millen has not done anything positive. He is a joke and the Lions will continue to be a joke as long as he is there. Not only will the Lions continue to be bad, it will take longer for them to recover the longer he stays. Please do not give him another draft pick to waste!

8. Darth Tater

I didn't write my comment very well.

I didn't doubt that Dre Bly said that. I meant to say "even if it was true that Joey WAS the cause of Mooches firing, Bly had no business commenting on it because it could do only harm.

Sorry for misleading people. :sorry:

9. detteam

detteam All-Star

10. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Bly is out to lunch

Has Joey sucked? Well, in words of one syllable... yeah. But he sucks because he doesn't have an offensive line, a consistent running game, and butter fingered recievers. So Bly blames the QB? Bly wake up, here's the real deal.

Mooch was always the wrong coach for this team. I said this when he got hired, he'll only work with a veteran team that knows and understands their roles, and don't really need him for direction. In short, Mooch's coaching style lacks discipline! Unfortunately, YOUNG players NEED discipline early in their careers to get in the habit of knowing the right thing to do.

Millen is also at fault! Joey NEEDED a veteran QB to mentor him, but Millen's idea of blowing up a team that had some very good vets, and bringing in youngsters with ZERO NFL experience was the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Any corporate person should know about passing down "Lessons Learned", but Matt missed that class. So everybody is making every rookie mistake in the book, and with no real coaching, they make them over and over again.

Which leads us to the real culprit in this whole mess, Old Man Ford! This is the mess you get when you pass over real talent, and hire guys that talk a good game, but can't show you any credentials. Millen should have never been hired in the first place, even if I agree with a lot of his drafts, the results suck.

Where do we go from here? The playoffs are a wet dream, the Bears are on a roll, and a wild card coming out of our division isn't a likely probability. But a strong showing could spare jobs, and build moral. My main hope is that we change the offensive direction to match the talents of the QB that we have, and institute some rigid discipline on these recievers. We need %%%% to be a task master, and reign the troops in after the psycho's have been running the institution.

11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Classic sound bite

This is a little off-topic but I heard it on WDFN this morning and thought this was a funny story: After Nebraska beat Colorado, the Nebraska players did the usual Gatorade dump on Coach Bill Callahan. Callahan was asked later by sideline reporter, Suzy Shuster, "Bill, was this your most gratifying dump?" :laugh:

Gee, sure, Suzy, but I wish I'd had something to read. :laugh:

12. Darth Tater

lmao. Good one. :laugh:

13. Darth Tater

14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Bly needs to shut his pie hole. Mooch got Mooch fired by not making adjustments. Mooch was stubborn and wanted to live in the 49er days. Well incase he did not notice he was fired from San Fran and he has just been fired from Detroit. If I was Joey I would tell Bly atleast I did not hurt my knee celebrating a interception and as a result had to miss 4 games because of it.:doh:

15. Darth Tater

Great post. (It sums up my opinion 100%).

16. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

Millen is to blame here big time too. He was just an idiot in the press conference. I think that he is surprised that he is still here. He just doesnt think before he talks.

The next coach that comes in needs to have the intensity of a Tom Coughlin. He needs to run a tight ship and get these pansies into gear during practice. These WR have no excuse (except BMW, hes a rook). Joey will be gone unless they are screwed otherwise. I dont know which way to go in the first round of the draft, QB, or OL.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

In the Military we had technical terms...

For what was going on within the Lions Org.

SNAFU--SNA FOO
    Situation Normal All F'ed Up!!
    and FUBAR - FOO BAR

F'ed Up Beyond All Recognition!!
    and finally

Cluster F'
    due to the vortex of F' ups.:P

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Just saw Pistons Weekly on FSN where they talk about last weeks games, examine this weeks games, and had a spot on the Pistons helping the less fortunate over Thanksgiving.

The following FSN show (on right now) is the Lions Holiday Special where they are displaying Lions merchandise for sale at the Lions store at Ford Field and online.

Just goes to show the difference in values between the Pistons & Lions (read: winners & losers).

19. Darth Tater

Sad, but true. :(

20. detteam

detteam All-Star

If the Lions had a winning attitude, their merchandise would sell itself. It all starts at the top.

Amazing to me that they are aggressively advertising it, especially given the current turmoil. The Ford 'Focus' (pun intended) is obviously not football, but $$$