Breaking up the Pistons - Sprocket Points Evaluation

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Rip is a solid finisher under pressure, the Orlando series proved that.
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think a lot of Pistons fans are like spoiled kids who are tired of their perfectly good toys and want new ones.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Maybe they like testing the refs. But if the guy is up in the air, make him pay.
    It can work against them, but AND One gets these guys stoked.
  4. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

At this point in the offseason, I have come to a conclusion.

Joe is not gonna make any moves this offseason.

Yep, we will have the same starting unit. Chauncey, Rip, Tay, Sheed and Dyess.

With an upgraded bench of Stuckey, Afflalo, Amir, JMax, Hunter, Sharpe, and a couple of veterans signed. Probably Pietrus or Jones but I don't think Joe would even delve into the free agency market.

A new coach is the difference. Or is it?

Stories will come out about how Joe didn't get good value in return for one or two of our starters, about how the Pistons are sticking with their players again, and will probably face the same fate they have had over the past 6 seasons.

So, we whine and clamor for change.

These Pistons can win. In reality, they can still win. If they really want it. We've heard all this before, but the reality is what it is. That we are still a pretty good team. Joe will really be careful in breaking up the chemistry in the team and in the organization. They have prided themselves in building a team of character guys and they just don't want that broken down in a New York minute (reference meant).

Familiarity breeds contempt.

I am finally of the opinion that, we don't need trades as desperate as we think we do, but change is a must. Whether it comes in the starting five, the bench, the coaching, the hunger. Something must change, and I'd like nothing else than finding it on the way to the championship.

:nerd2:
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Well the coach is gone. There is now way in hell that it's not the players' fault, but I think Flip may have been the main reason. I have a feeling "The Big Trade" won't happen yet. Maybe by midseason, but not right now.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think all 5 will stay too, but I think that Curry will have the guts to actually change which of those 5 start. I think Dice is coming off the bench is next year, especially if the Pistons get a legit 7 footer. I also think either Tayshaun or Rasheed may come off the bench. Chauncey and Rip are basically locks to stay starters, but I think the forwards may change. Tayshaun may come off the bench because of his versatility and also his lack of offensive production off the bench. Sheed may come off the bench as well because he himself might want to do that.
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. And I would be fine with that.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Stories will come out about how Joe didn't get good value in return for one or two of our starters, about how the Pistons are sticking with their players again, and will probably face the same fate they have had over the past 6 seasons. [quote Brilz]
    -
    JD don't fool us. He can't change his spots.
  9. max

max All-Star

Discussion reminds me a bit of the early part of the decade when Stack and later Cliff were traded. Lot of good arguments to keep both around and see if Prince and Okur could make the difference. Instead Dumars opted to try and make the team better.

I am all for change as long as it makes us better in the long term. May have to take a step back next year but if it pays off with another title then it would be worth it.

Perhaps I am a bit sceptical, I don't think LB himself could properly motivate some of our guys anymore. Even so, the rest of the East is getting better. As Dumars himself once said, if you are not getting better then you are getting worse. Pretty soon those ECF defeats are going to turn into 2nd round and 1st round losses.

Its a tough thing though and if a deal is not there then you certainly do not want to trade just to trade. This is where GM's earn their paychecks. To find deals out there that none of us thought about or even considered but upon happening leaves you wondering how he pulled it off.
  10. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Very good read.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Acquire a better player –
    Probably not possible. Paul, Kidd, Nash, Williams, Calderon, Ellis, and Miller are probably untouchable. Davis might be possible given recent rumors, but why would Golden State take on slow footed Billups? Iverson seems to be available, but probably costs too much to make a trade work. No one else is better.[Qoute DBA]

-
    Is was available and the cost wasn't too high, considering the timing. And your bet would've won.
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

the price came down... was bill and prince....
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Gosh.

Next I will predict the results of yesterday's election. Stay tuned.
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I thought DBA's bet was on "take a step back" as opposed to trade for an Allen Iverson?
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I read it as, lose CB and we take a step back. But the bet was, "lose CB" as opposed to the rest of the core. Only DBA knows.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And he's not talking.

My POV was that Stuckey wasn't ready to start and couldn't replace CB all by himself. And while there were other, better point guards out there, that most of them could not be pried away from their current teams. Unless you could land one of those, the team gets worse if you trade CB for a non PG and Stuckey starts.

I thought based on the press at the time that Iverson could be had, but I couldn't make the numbers work mostly because I assumed the Pistons would never trade Dyess. And trading CB and Tay or CB and Rip was too much for AI.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Right but the press back then was for Melo also.
    I'll go out on a limb an say this team doesn't take a step back from the ECF. The inclusion of Amir makes us pretty deep.