Bring back Larry

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Yes, I have recently become a member of the Bring Back Larry Club. Yes, I know I called for his head a few weeks before it rolled but things are different now. First of all. We need a top notch coach who has won a championship, understands defense, emphasizes defense, and has the respect of the players. We currently have a coach that panics in the playoffs, misunderstands defense, deemphasizes defense, and has lost the respect of his players. Secondly, I think LB is a changed man. Yes, he cheated on us when he was our husband. He had a wandering eye. He also was at the top of the world and had everybody gushing over him. Now he is a humbled man. He took a NY team that did not even have a chance. He was a very poor fit. I think he would gladly come back to a playoff team and restore his tarnished image. I've seen enough of Flip ball. It's time to get us a real coach that understands how the game should be played. It's almost time to bring him back. If I were Dumars, I would tell Larry to take a few more weeks off. We will bring him back if he is interested in a few more weeks. I'd turn the Pistons over to the current assistants for a few weeks and then have our Larry Brown Homecoming Parade scheduled the first home game of December.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I say Hell-to-the-NO...........:MusicBigGrin:
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

For all those wanting to join the BBLC, please send one tear-soaked dollar bill to JoeD with a note asking why he and BillD hired Flip.
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ohh, I can just see Mr. D... welp why don't we see if we got a few extra mil layin' around so we can complete LB's scam job.

But I gotta say we miss his discipline on offense and defense... never enjoy seeing those wild chucks.... there needs to be a medium of creative offense and predictable sets.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Buckeyes, you weren't really serious, were you?
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

I don't know if buckeye is serious, but I sure am.

Joe hasn't made a lot of mistakes, but here's my list:

1) Drafting Darko
    2) Dumping LB
    3) Losing Ben (a direct result of #2)

JMHO
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Larry is waaay to old. I say we develop the youth! Get the kids some burn. I know just the fresh faced rookie we need. He spent a couple of years in the other league, honing his coaching skills, and has done a fantastic job. C'mon, what do you say? Let's hire Laimbeer!
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The settlement for the LB NY situation and what happened here should leave little doubt that Larry had ulterior motives... as much as I liked him, he was head case that wears on his players and management.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

I tried the Laimbeer thing and no one wants to buy in. How about LB for a year+ with BL assisting? Stern, his rules, and his balls will probably be gone by the time Laimbeer takes the reins. :)
  10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I say....Hell-to-the-NO.....Part 2!!!!!!!!
  11. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I loved Larry as a coach. I didn't love all the rumors of him looking for another job during the playoffs and I hated him when he left Detroit like he did. There is no way Joe will bring back Larry Brown. I still like the guy now, after the intial anger of him leaving, but he's a shady guy.
  12. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Being the jokester that I am, it's hard to figure me out, isn't it? :) Since my frustration level has more to do with Flip right now, I'd have to say I'm not totally serious. Anything is better than Flip right now though. Even LB. Could we do better with LB? I think so. Could we do better than LB? Probably. But the sad thing is there seems to be such few quality coaching prospects out there. Maybe I'm too picky but I can't think of one person that really excites me. I at least want a coach that is defensive first. Maybe that philosophy has been outdated by the new Stern rules but I still am and always will be defense first, regardless of sport. I do like Pop and Avery. And even the thought of Zeke coming back brings a little excitement to me. But I may just be reminiscing with Zeke. I do think he understands the game and is a very good coach. I may be attracted to him like I was attracted to Trammel. I still think the world of Trammel. Maybe someday after he learns the trade a little better.
  13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Need I really get involved in this thread???

.....ahhhhh what the hell....The only way LB comes back is if Bill D kicks the bucket and doesn't leave anyone in his immediate family or Tom Wilson in charge.

That said...I would graciously welcome Paul Silas into the Mix with Jim O'brien assisting....
  14. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

LB wil never be back here, egos wouldn't allow it. That would be less of a problem if there were other good options, but I don't see one. That's Joe's job, and he can truly cement his genius status with his next coaching hire.
  15. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

The cheating husband analogy is accurate. I see no reason to bring back a habitual offender unless we are gluttons for punishment. Good coach yes. Good coach to have on your team, like DLEV said....HELL TO THE NAWLLLLLLLLL!
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Merc, I draw a different conclusion from LB's time in NY.

He'll be vindicated this year when Starbury is incapable of getting his team to the playoffs and Zeke is fired.

Look at it this way, Larry could have fought for more money. He did not. Stern told both parties to work out a deal, and he took less than what he was totally entitled to. IMO, much less. I would never let my client walk away from the table with a deal like that.

My moles have told me that Larry had to go from Detroit over personnel issues that started before the trading deadline in 2005.

In NY, if you read the Zeke article in the NBA forum, there is a good chance Larry was the fall guy for a bad situation.

I would NEVER hire Larry Brown back because the Pistons do not have the structure to acommodate a man of his immense ego and need to be the center of attention.

But some organization will benefit (maybe even not in the NBA) from having one of the greatest minds around. Just don't sign him to a deal longer than one year. :pound:
  17. max

max All-Star

Who has not figured this out yet?

When LB mentioned his dream job while he was trying to get fired from the Pistons he really meant cashing in 6mil( buyout from Pistons) + 11 mil ( salary for 1st Knicks season ) + 18.5 Mil ( Knicks buyout )

= 35.5 mil for one year at the dream job. That is a dream job. He made the same money that he would have coaching a full 6 seasons at his original Pistons salary.
  18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i was thinking we could hire john l. smith or steve marriuci, but how about scotty bowman?
  19. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

The guys a basketball coach, not a spouse. As long as the wins come, I could care less who he talks to/about/with until he picks up the phone to tell me he won't be coming back.
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's more healthy to let this go... especially when there's ZERO chance of him coming back.... 100 wishes... wannabe's... pinings still = Zero.