Bring back Larry

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Nov 11, 2006.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Bballjay is right as it pertains to our draft pick. It was handled poorly from beginning to end. We fumbled selecting Darko in the first place (sorry I still think there are at least 8 people in that draft better than the Serbian), we fumbled the development of Darko when we decided to bring in Mr. Motivation problem and didn't commit to playing him when there was opportunity, and we fumbled trading him too early and for nowhere close to the value expected from a #2 pick and a serviceable point guard. Darko was an overrated pick (He is more like a low first rounder, based on what I've seen) and our ability to develop him was extremely overrated as well.

Ben running out of energy? Unlikely. Everyone already knows how I feel about bballjay's double standard toward "quitting". Ben's made a career based on hard work, while bballjay's made a career defending Darko's lack of it. I won't let Ben's one bad moment of judgement define his career as a Piston. That would truely be ridiculous.

To blame Ben for the Miami loss is equally as ridiculous. Our offense was predictable and our TEAM defense was horrendous. It wasn't just Ben. Ben just wasn't able to bail the entire team out this time around. Today I watched Gilbert Arenas and Jamison combine for 20% shooting in Washington. Funny, the coach didn't take them out the game. I liking that to Ben. If you are down in an elimination game and you need to get stops to force another game, you allow your defensive star the opportunity to come up big for the team despite his past issues in the series. Ben wasn't given that luxury simply because Flip thought the way to beating Miami was a more efficient offense. He was wrong and bbaljay is wrong for eating Flip's bologna. Flip gave up on his DPOY when Ben and his team needed him the most.
  2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

it looks like he made a good judgement getting chicago to pay all that money to him. i would expect more from a dpoy.

dude flip wasn't wrong. he went with ben until the last game when desperation came in and he said forget ben's ego and he put the best lineup on the court. that was the lineup that outscored miami. flip went wrong not taking ben off the court sooner. ben hadn't got a stop since the first round of the playoffs.

ben wasn't the cause in the last game but he was the cause of the whole series. ben started our season on a downward spiral in that orlando game and i'll never forgive him for it. he questions the coach who was a nice guy and it made it open season from the rest of the team.
  3. MotownPride

Looks like he did find some offense...at the negotiating table. More power to him. I'd take the money too.

There's nothing wrong with questioning a coach. It should be encouraged. Flip just needed to man up and show some backbone. Ben would have respected that. Again, you make Ben the major reason for our collapse because it is convenient for your Ben is the Anti-Christ arguement. Similar and more convincing arguements can be said for every member of the team. Why haven't you made this into a Chauncey bash session? Hell, he sucked in the playoffs. He claimed to be leader, but was apparently unable to handle the quietest person in the lockerroom's verbal attacks toward Flip. Its impossible to take your Ben killed the team scenario seriously when the players have continuously voiced how nonverbal Ben was in the lockerroom and how there was no true team leader. Ben's leadership was only acknowledged as it pertained to on the court effort. He led by example. The responsibility for last year's playoff failure is shared from Mr. D all the way to Lindsey Hunter. An open minded individual would easily see that.
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

22 Million. 22 Million dollars that Stern agreed that LB did not deserve because he tanked a season with the Knicks. How could any true Piston fan want a guy that tanks not just games, but entire seasons to get his way?

I don't care how good of a coach LB is, there is zero guarantee that he will coach to win as opposed to coaching to get players traded and GMs fired.
  5. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

As much as I despise Flip, I blame our Miami loss on one thing. We couldn't hit an open jumper to save our lives. Therefore we died.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Bball...pray tell...WHO trades a #2 draft pick?...especially in THAT draft class? There were at least a half dozen best availables that Joe blew off. Evidence that Joe had realized his draft mistake came when he went after Sheed.

Major trade value? LOL! If I remember correctly, Atlanta wanted a bigger piece of Detroit's pie to go along with the Cool Whip.
    Yeah...everybody in the NBA was beating down Joe's door to get to Darko :nerd2:

Ran out of energy? Are you serious? I was personally glad Ben sat down...it brought emphasis to what a disrepected numbnut Flip is...and I don't recall any Piston chastizing him for it afterward...they knew the score.

Cancer!!!? You are absolutely mind-blowing.:tinfoil3:
  7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

His points would make great sense if he was talking about any other player than Ben Wallace and any other team than the Pistons.

This "contender" was built in part by the hard work, hustle, determination, and sheer will power of one Ben Wallace. Blaming our downfall on him is akin to saying Bill Laimbeer was at fault for the Bad Boys not 3-peating.

It's nothing short of heresy ( or is that Hennessey) and I, sir, will give it no further credence.

This team lost because it ran it's two best assets out of town on a rail and brought in a 2nd tier coach and instituted a gameplan that A) NEVER WORKS and B) this team is not equipped to efficiently execute. Fix those problems and maybe the opprotunity to contend will rear its ugly head again. Until then, blame away and enjoy early playoff exits because they will continue to happen.
  8. Pwn Toney

This is your and everyone else that loves outscoring people's biggest problem. You can't fathom that it's easy for the best defender on a team to look bad when he's the ONLY DAMN PERSON ON THE FLOOR TRYING TO PLAY DEFENSE.

With 4 teammates plastered around the 3 pt line how the hell is he going to stop 3 players by himself? How many times did Chancey and Rip hand out free passes into the lane. How many times was Ben the ONLY PISTON in the paint trying to rebound against 3 opponents. This team threw it's defense out the window and there was ONE, I repeat ONE guy down there by himself screaming that we need to focus on D.

You didn't see Ben out there chucking up random 3's all night. You didn't see Ben getting beat like a drum off the dribble by every guard in the league. Ben busted his ass defensively and was left to fend for himself in the paint by the coach AND his teammates INCLUDING TAYSHAUN.

Darko SUCKED in Detroit, period. He deserved every splinter he got with his uninspired play, half-assed efforts, and visible pouting. Until Darko wins one ANYTHING of the Year award I will not entertain any more discussions about how Ben Wallace ruined everything for the Pistons. We wouldn't have a reason to think this team should be better than they are right now without him and I refuse to pretend otherwise.
  9. max

max All-Star

How did this turn into a Darko thread?

Buck posts a legitimate opinion about LB and Darko takes over.

Tell you what. Once Darko strings together 5 or 6 15 point games in a row or averages that over a 20 game stretch then we can talk.

Question. Would we have still beat Miami in 05 if Wade did not get hurt in game #5? I am not sure we would have. I will take it but in all fairness Flip's Pistons did not have that luxery.
  10. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``If this thread was a contest, bballJay would be the winner. Saying that he has left the planet is downright silly. He has made more good points in this thread than anyone else. (By the way, this comes from someone that usually disagrees with bballJay.)''

Your saying that doesn't make it so. Got reasons?

As for Darko, that's not gonna be a problem much longer. What will happen to bball jay though, when the Magic renounce Darko in their attempt to sign VC? Does he disappear or will his posts get even longer than they already are?
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's kinda why we are saying it. :wacko:
  12. Pwn Toney

LB coming back >> Hell YES >> Hell No >> Flip is worse >> Flip's fine RE: "The Malcontent" >> The Malcontent should have been benched/run out of town >> Darko would have been a better long term choice >> Darko Sucked >> How did this turn into a Darko thread? >> Done...
  13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Right, max, that series was awfully close. Pistons were still behind going into the last 2 minutes of Game 7 before making a big run to win it. And while I'm not going to argue that going inside is overrated or that all-jumpers-all-the-time is the way to go, let's also remember that the Pistons didn't win that Game 7 by going inside against the Heat. Miami won the points-in-the-paint battle in that game in a blowout, 52-30.
  14. bball jay

lb + darko + pistons will forever be intertwined. when did ben have 5 or 6 15 point games in a season?? darko has a similar impact on defense as ben except darko can check bigger players where ben could check smaller players than darko. the difference is darko bring much much more to the table offensively than ben.

yes. if the malcontent was willing to let elden be on the court. i think lb's efforts to make ben happy by keeping him on the court forever hurt us. elden defends shaq much much better than ben. ben only is able to check shaq in the second half after he tires out.

in fairness to flip there was also a rule change that hindered our defensive ability on the outside. ben was also coaching with a malcontent instead of a contributor. ben was in a contract year and flip couldn't do the best move to counter miami's gameplan which was to sit ben down. if riley can sit shaq down why is flip mean coach for sitting ben down. shaq didn't feel betrayed cause he wanted to win. there is a difference in ego.
  15. roscoe36

16. MotownPride

This has already been pointed out to bballjay.

He has no interest in actually seeing how much Ben contributed to the franchise as that would blow a HUGE hole in his arguement. Its much more entertaining for him to act like Ben only scores 2 points a game, a hand full of rebounds and spends the rest of the time on the court moaning about not being given enough shots. The DPOYs mean nothing to him. The coaches and players who consistently sing Ben's praises apparently have all got it wrong too.
  17. bball jay

i'm sure he played 35 minutes per game also. he didn't do that off the bench playing 20 min. i don't think ben did that until he was well into his career. the difference is darko is just scratching the surface. ben has stretched his talent as far as it will go.
  18. roscoe36

You asked
    and I answered. Everyone knows how many minutes Ben plays. You knew when you asked. Please don't try to worm out of it. You are better than that. :D
  19. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

By all means bring Larry back. :cheerleader:One would be demented not to do so. :dizzy2: Not only does The Pound :icon_evil: makes a team better, why just this year he made every team in the NBA better--with the possibility of one. :sssh:
  20. MotownPride

I object!