Bring Back Webber?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jul 13, 2007.

?

Bring Webber Back?

1. Yes

54.0%
  2. No

30.2%
  3. Undecided

15.9%
  1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I like Webber's game but the fact is that every since he choked in college he has continued that pattern into the NBA. He played fine last year until it came down to money time and then he totally disappeared. He has never proven that he can get it done when it counts.

I was a big supporter of him when the Pistons got him thinking that within the Pistons system where he had to be only one piece and not the main man that he would perform well in crunch time; i.e., the playoffs. He proved me entirely wrong.

The Pistons can do a lot better than bringing him back.

:hoops:
  2. Oracle

Oracle First Round Draft Pick

It's not Webber's fault that Flip wasn't man enough to tell Chauncey that we needed a Webber initiated offense as well as a guard initiated offense.

Webber was MORE than effective when used properly, and USELESS when used badly.

However, he needs to shore up the reserves while making the youngsters more effective.

I bet Amir, JMax and the rookies will love getting those sweet passes from Webber.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with that Oracle...the sweet passes dried up after Chauncey complained that he felt uncomfortable with the ball out of his hands so much. Webber would be better on the floor when Chauncey is off. I can't help but think a head coach should pick up on things like that.
  4. buddahfan

I think the forum crowd for the most part is overly fixated on Flip and projects every fault with every Piston player onto Flip.

5. buddahfan

For people that don't know C-Webb also choked more than one year in the playoffs when he was with the Kings. So he clearly has a history of choking under pressure.

6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I voted yes in the poll. The guy can pass. He has to be used correctly to be effective, which bothers me with Flip at the helm. Web strikes me as a guy that would be interested in learning Flip's intricate offensive playbook, if it actually exists. Also, Web wasn't with the team for a full season. I'd like to see the guy here for 82 games and more.
  7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

There is no way that Webber can make a difference over the course of the season. It is imperative that the pistons start an active and forceful rotation with their bench...youth and all. As we now stand, this is still a talented and deep bench with championship experience all the way to the end (with Davis as another possible anchor).

In order for Webber to stay fresh (conditioning) he will need to have some decent playing time and he hurts the ball club playing less that 20-25 minutes. He averaged for the 2006-07 season, close to 30 minutes, while providing 11 ppg. Considering his physical condition and age, this is quite adequate...but, at what price? The league will play faster with much better athletes. Is it not time for the pistons to begin this transition?

Now in fairness to Webber, he might provide something that this club lacks. It is leadership. I just don't know about this other dimension. Setting aside the traditional media hype about CB, does the coach or JD have any insight into this question? It should be more than obvious to most of us, that facing a dominate personality in Eastern playoffs (ie., Wade, LBJ) the pistons shrink into their shell. If we can't trade for it, can we open up an approach for someone to step forward?

To answer my own question, my open road leads to everyone's "too small" and "inappropriate forward".... JMax. He is hungry, in shape, and fearless; the one person who has that unexplainable quality when stepping into the game, has everyone leading forward.
  8. max

max All-Star

Reading through these you guys certainly make good cases both for and against.

I still do like him for the extra depth. Not worried about his skills or being too slow. We don't play that fast anyway. Taking the other side my main detractor would be that Flip would overplay him and not play Amir/Maxiel enough.

Kind of odd that we have not heard anything about him returning or officially leaving. Probably tells us that he will not be back. We will see what happends.
  9. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Maybe. Maybe not.

Just because CB has his contract doesn`t mean his struggles are behind him. He could become complacent and find ways to get motivated. What ways that would be I have no idea.

I certainly hope that will not happen.

To answer the question of the poll.......

Sure bring CB back, his playing time would be significantly reduced though, and I don`t think he would like that.
  10. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Nope. He's unable to compete on the defensive end. We don't need opposing forwards and centers driving the lane along with their guards. Somewhere out there is a low buck, dirty work doing kinda guy just made for us.
    Let the youngstars play.
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The Low put the name Steve Francis out their. If a guy like him comes here than the Pistons don't need Webber. If the Pistons pick up no one at all than he should stay.
  12. ggazoo69

Which of these youngsters starts at the 5?
  13. lemonpen

In the "What Would You Do If GM" thread I want to re-sign Dale Davis, and trade Nazr 4 B. Haywood. Either can be the starting C. AJ/JM/RS/AA man our second unit, along with Davis/Haywood.
  14. ggazoo69

Davis is a little long in the tooth. And I don't know why anyone would want Nazr. Something tells me Nazr will start and Davis will back him up. Joe will have to make a trade before the deadline to rectify the situation if Nazr/Davis is underperforming (as I expect) and Webber is gone. Either way, we're weak at the 5.
  15. lemonpen

Agreed Davis is up there, but we don't need a "Wallac-iean" type effort on a nightly basis. Solid rebounding and team D will go a long way toward solidifying the 1st unit.

Due to unreconcilable differences amoung the ranks, Washington is pressed to divorce a big. I'm hoping Joe can pickup a little something up from their garage sale. Sheep were ment to be shorn.

Weakness at 5 has been the case for 24 months in one way or another, and still didn't rank at the top of our post season woes. If Joe is pressed into making a trade deadline move I'm guessing more things will have gone wrong than performance at the 5 spot.

An improved bench and a commitment to maximizing effort should help erase / mask other blemishes.

Disclaimer: None of this means doggy-poop if Flip keeps being flip.
  16. buddahfan

Sheet will start at the 5 and AJ will start at the 4.

17. lemonpen

Isn't starting a tall order for AJ. You sure we wouldn't wanna ease him into major minutes, responsibility and not to mention level of comp. Maybe allow him to work up to a starting role by the two-thirds mark of the season.
  18. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I thought that Flip Sr deserved cuz he was the helm.

When talk about CW's history of choke at playoff, we gotta talk about Flip Sr too.
  19. detroitsfynest

detroitsfynest First Round Draft Pick

Isnt Mcdyess still a Piston? i hardly ever here him mentioned anymore
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

people are way to fast to do anything on this board... I would love to see AJ take the starting job mid season by the play on the court but let one of the veterns start the season with the starting job.