Bring Sheed Back?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, May 8, 2009.

?

Bring Sheed back?

1. As a starter

4.8%
  2. Bench player

12.7%
  3. If the money is right

19.0%
  4. No

57.1%
  5. Undecided.

6.3%
  1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Are you afraid to be serious?

Why follow the benign caricature of yourself with flippant passion mixed with a shallow wink of universal coverage.

You set a great scene and the atmosphere of stage is awaiting the author's intent. Now tell me about the players.
  2. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You are such a creative thinker. He would be an upgrade over coach clueless. Sheed needs a change of scenery. Pistons need to move on.
  3. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I voted undecided, because I think it depends on who is available this summer to replace his role on the team. Some guys would be an upgrade over Sheed at this point and some guys probably not. If you paired him with an active PF or C where he could just play some nice man D, defensive board, and hit perimeter J's to stretch the floor, I think he would still be a positive.

Bottom line: he is transitioning from "main guy" to good role player with age.

Some fans cite his motivation, but this contract is his choice too. I would think that if he signed a new contract here that it would mean he is comfortable coming back and will be motivated to play whatever roll he and Joe D agree upon.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I voted no. I'd like to see Sheed take on a bench role with a contender. I think if the 8 million thing is real this won't happen...but I'd love to see him a role player. I was watching Boston/Orlando last night and thinking that if Boston had Sheed off the bench they could have won that game.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All perfectly good points. Sometimes though you just have to ignore the reality all around you and live in your head. In my world Sheed comes back, plays 25 minutes off the bench, scores ten and averages some combination of four blocks or steals a game. Come on in, I also have great view of the beach from here.

Other reasons...

- my only Pistons shirt would be outdated
    - my only Pistons bobble head would be outdated

Reject reality.

It's pretty overrated anyway.
  6. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

The surroundings are not right for Sheed to thrive here. They probably haven't been right for some time. He needs a special situation to max his potential. That is why he's been percieved as a malcontent more often than not. There is nothing we can do at this time to change that without making too many accomodations for him. If he stays, his legacy becomes more and more tarnished with each passing game.
  7. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I say no but on the other hand who's gonna step up to provide that 6 pts 6 reb a game if we make the playoffs next year? We'd also be left without someone to yell, "ball don't lie!" when the other team shoot free throws. Maybe we can convince Flip to come back and do that?
  8. Tha Locstah

I feel your pain. My only Pistons T (connected to a player, that is) has Billups 1 on the back and my only bobble head is a talking Ben Wallace.....I did get a Chauncey bobble head but got too drunk at that game and forgot it at the Palace.

:nerd2:
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was leaning towards no and I was one who said he should have been gone last summer after mailing it in during the ECF.

At this point I think it is to early to assess his value. If he is here, MC will play him more than he should so better/younger/hungrier player may be sitting on the bench.

I will need to see who Joe signs in the FA market first and then decide if Sheed to comeback to complement the players we have on the team.

So undecided for the time being....check back with me July 15
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I see him thriving in a role like that and would wish him success. I think keeping him on the Pistons cannot help the team move on.
  11. V_T

V_T Second Round Draft Pick

We have traded one of our most stable players, Billups. I don't think that the most unstable player should stay.
  12. Tha Locstah

Technically, I think the most unstable player was AI and he WILL NOT be back so we're good there. I like Sheed but I think we've past the point of getting optimal value from him. The only way I would support it would be if he were willing to take the vet's minimum for 1 year.......NOT gonna happen so good luck wherever you end up Sheed!
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

no. he mailed in the season. there's no turning him around and he's only going to be a year older next year.
  14. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Exactly. He did not seem to be happy this year, and when he is unhappy he brings the whole team down. Also, as many have noted, he is not the player he once was even when he is giving it his all.
  15. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

No, because Curry is going to overplay.

Curry WILL NOW BE FORCED to use Amir!
  16. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

I think we should resign him as a started and play him the kind of minutes Cleveland played Ben as a starter; Unless we manage to land solid starters in which case I'm with Scoe he leads a mean dance circle! pregames just wouldn't be the same with out him.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

About 5 of those questions will all be answered if Sheed resigned. The rest are on the coaching staff's determination of his role.

If Sheed wants to come back then IMO all those questions about his mind/passion are answered. I believe he was injured b/c i saw him play healthy this year and he was going all out. I don't believe he quit on the team and i also don't have unrealistic expectations for him to all of a sudden morph into Tim Duncan dominance when he hasn't been that the entire time he's here.

He's still extremely valuable and if he wants to be here, i'm all for it. I'm not really interested in seeing this team have to play without him unless absolutely neccessary. I don't think you can just throw the young guys out there with no guidance/help/safety net which i think we got a pretty good demonstration of when we got rid of CB and LH.

I see the point of the other side, and i probably would not be heartbroken if he moved on, but i'm not 100% sold that that is the right move especially with the roster yet to be determined.
  18. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

Rasheed will do whatever he chooses to do next year. He is a very smart guy. He knows he can be a starter on a bad team or a role player on a very good team and the money and minutes will adjust to the role he picks. Any team, including the Pistons, will want him if he wants to be a piece that they need. On the Pistons his role should probably be backup center at about 20 min per game, if that was what Rasheed really wanted to do he could be very good at it.
    I just don't think it means anything to ask if Dumars should bring him back when the reality is Rasheed wil decide for himself if and where he will play next year. I suspect he will retire but trying to guess what is going on in a smart guys head is risky.
    :hoops:or:fishing: ?
  19. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I'm not down with being a young team. A lot of folks have the idea that we should get rid of just about all of our veterans. I see Sheed as a backup player coach. Some of you guys are going to hate me, but I need to see Hunter back in a Pistos uniform. Why would Joe get rid of both of our Vet pg's?
  20. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I agree with you. "Young team's" don't really win titles. People get excited about them because they transition from lottery team to the second round of the play-offs. That said, we should still look to get younger, and get guys with talent who are hungry.

The thing is, these vets you mention like Lindsey and Sheed can teach younger guys stuff that they just won't learn from Curry. How many times have we heard CB and Stuck say that LH was a huge positive influence on their careers?

The only problem is getting it through MC's thick skull that these vets are your roll players, not your main guys.