Broken Backup

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Zoso, Sep 4, 2005.

?

What, if anything, should the Lions do about their Quarterback situation?

1. Stand pat. Just ride it out until Garcia gets back.

46.7%
  2. Sign someone quickly. Carrying just two QB's is risky business.

20.0%
  3. Sign a veteran backup to continue pushing Joey. We don't want him feeling like he's off the hotseat.

20.0%
  4. Nothing. What's the point? There's no hope for this team.

13.3%
  1. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

With Jeff Garcia breaking his fibula, leaving the team with just two healthy Quarterbacks on the roster, what should the Lions do?

1. No need to panic. Just ride it out until Garcia gets back.

2. We definitely need to sign someone. Carrying just two QB's is risky business.

3. Sign another veteran backup to continue pushing Joey. We don't want him feeling like he's off the hot seat.

4. It doesn't matter. It wouldn't help anyway. Remember, it is the Lions we're talking about here.
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Zoso - QB

Good question. I think they should ask Jeff Komlo to come out of retirement. :) I think if Joey gets hurt, then get another guy real fast. Until then, ride it out. I doubt many will agree with that. But I think it's unfair to bring a guy in for six weeks and then dump him. I think Orlovsky belongs on the team based on his preseason play, and I would hate to see a vet push Orlovsky outta the mix.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I agree totally Gazoo. I'd just watch Orlovsky closely. I don't know what a has-been veteran who needs to learn the system will do for Detroit, anyhow. I think Orlovsky will be a keeper, although I know we can't base too much on what he does against other third stringers.

On the other hand, Joey will be going down soon too if the offensive line can't get it in gear. So from that perspective, maybe they do need some insurance.
  4. ggazoo69

Darth

I'd pretty much bet a few c-notes that they'll get someone 'til Garcia comes back. Garcia coming back isn't a real breath of fresh air for me. I don't think the guy has looked that good. I went to the Browns game and Garcia didn't look like he was in control to me. He threw a TD pass, but if you watch the replay, it looks like there was a lot of margin for error in that pass, and the receiver (I think it was C. Rogers) made a good play on it.

My basic problem with the Lie-downs is this West Coast offense. Madden said during the Monday Night Football debacle that it's ridiculous not to throw downfield more often when you have big and fast receivers. Mooch should adjust the offense to the personnel.
  5. Darth Tater

What about that guy they cut (Tommy Chang?) from Hawaii? Maybe he at least knows the system well enough to be an emergency backup to the backup. Or is that too far fetched? I'm not too high on Garcia either. I keep hearing he is not the answer.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The answer is that they need to scrap GotMooch ball and start throwing the damn thing down the field. We've got 4 great wideouts and a TE who is really an H-Back.

Throw in Bryson as a pass catching back, and there is no reason this dome team should not be taking to the air.

We don't even know if Joey is any good because he's playing a dink and dunk offense and has looked terrible with limited personnel.

This year, he's got some weapons, and we are still going to throw a ton of 4 yard passes (on 3rd and 5).

YAY. NOT.
  7. Darth Tater

Yeah, they keep saying they are hiding what they are really going to do. I hope that's true, because what we are seeing is garbage and a total waste of talented receivers.

Besides, I took Kevin Jones with the 9th overall pick in my fantasy draft and I'm thinking I can repeat as champ if the Detroit receivers keep the defenses distracted like I thought they would before this terrible preseason.

LOL, look at us. When we talk about the Lions, I have to laugh at almost any concerns we have about the Pistons. Like night and day.
  8. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Gazoo

I agree. I think they should just ride it out as well. There's really no one out there worth taking a look at anyway, as far as I'm concerned. But, just like DarthTater mentioned, if our O line doesn't start doing their jobs, Joey's going to find himself sitting next to Jeff in the infirmary. Then we're really screwed.

I'm just worried that Harrington's going to stop playing with a sense of urgency, now that there's no one breathing down his neck.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Very true. It would be great to have some downfield action. It would be great to see LB's dragged down the field on a majority of plays cuz it would obviously help the running game. Too bad the opposing D knows they can take our O-line...blitz or no blitz. Joey hasn't responded well to the blitz over the past 3 years. He can never seem to find the dumpoff...his biggest failing thus far.
  10. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

This team has all the talent that they need, they just need to have an attitude and win. They need to push the crappy seasons away:frusty: , and start over. I expect them to win 9 or 10 games based on the talent that millen has gathered over the last 5 years.
    They have a solid lineman in Rogers, fast linebackers, and a good hard-hitting strong safety. Those LB's need to make plays at the line of scrimmage.
    Kevin Jones will have a breakout year with all the attention going to the 4 wideouts.
    I expect Charles Rogers to have a great year, but once again it is all up to Joey.

We will see.
  11. ggazoo69

Lions D

Hotsauce, you failed to mention how lousy the secondary is, except for Bly. The rest of those guys back there scare me. :scared:
  12. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

Yeah you're right. Man Bly gets some INT's, but gets beat twice as much. I thought that Bryant would be solid but...he hasnt shown it. Holt will be better, just needs more starting experience.

That play against cleveland when Bly gave up the touchdown....:faint2:
  13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Qb

I think you stick with Joey, sink or swim for the full season. Especially now that Garcia is gone. If he doesn't get it done this year, we have to cut our losses and move on.

If Joey gets hurt Dan should get his chance. The QBs currently available wouldn't make us any better. At least Orlovsky would get some experience out of it. Of course, then they would need to add a veteran QB to backup Orlovsky. Either that or we got with our emergency QB, which is Kevin Johnson the WR. :doh: I wonder what Andre Ware is doing right about now.

I'd love to see the Lions add Chang to the practice squad.
  14. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

lions

Imo jeff going down will only help develop orlovsky i can live with that he looked ok with the 3rd string guys so id give him a chance. but if the oline dont get fixed we might need to sign 2 or 3 qbs cuz wow they look like roadkill . another thing is the weak play calling better change real quick we have weapons so if we dont start using them then we might have as well kept schroder hakim vines and anderson. I say right off the bat hit c rog with a bomb and dont look back
  15. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I think Tim Couch could be had real cheap. Last I heard he was available. He'd make a great third stringer if he could be had for the minimum. Who knows. Maybe he could even blossom under a new coaching staff. He's still considered somewhat of a novice. It's a little scary only having two quarterbacks when we have swiss cheese for an offensive line. I still say we need to get one or two more quality lineman to give Joey some more time.
  16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think the Lions are beyond help. They cut Tommy Chang like 2 days after he was signed. Like was he even in town yet to take one snap in practice? The Lions will not win as long as Mooch is coach and he insists on raming this West Coast Offense down the players throats. It is obvious that we don't have the offensive line nor the type of WR's or a Running back that is fit for his system. Why not tweak the system to adapt to our skill set? That's what a smart coach would do. You got big guy's with speed that can out leap most DB's send them deep. If Joey can't throw deeper that 30 yards down field find someone who can.
  17. Darth Tater

On Terry Foster's blogspot he was saying that inside the dressing room players are talking about "not having confidence in Joey AND they are shaky on the game plan Mooch gives them".

Not good.