Away Brooklyn Nets Sunday, November 24, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This win gets one back for the giveaway at home against Atlanta. Again, this is not suppose to be a lottery year...

The Pistons found an injury riddled team that is more dysfunctional than they are at the moment.

Yes, Stuckey keeps playing well. Good. But Stuckey can not bail out the poor shooting and lack of offense for too long. Notice at times, the ball is passed around the perimeter and no one wants to shoot like the possession just inside the 4 minute mark in the 4th. Or, the ball goes in and pops back out and no one wants the shot. Take your pick: Pope, Jennings, Singler. Either Pope eventually shoots or Josh gets a poor look. This can't go on too long as the Piston offense is working to get guys open looks who do not have NBA ready shots. And setting up Stuckey for a three is not high percentage.

Give Jennings credit. He admitted in the press what we can see: he said he has lost confidence in his shot. Of course, poor coaching has contributed. Jennings, especially on this team, should be encouraged to launch the three when in motion. Instead, he is learning to be a point guard in the strict (passing sense), something he is not. So he has "lost his shot." Pope is starting as a shooting guard, but as a raw rookie, like so many rookies, he has no NBA ready shot. This cannot continue long as again, this is not a lottery year. As a team, you can't keep shooting blanks on offense and hold in defense. It is not football. You wonder whether a high-low post attack (Monroe and Drummond) would be more effective. And, poor free thrower or not, just getting the ball into Drummond and working off of him.

The defense? Can't tell. Brooklyn is too disfunctional. Have to see if the Piston defense can stay with teams that continually pass and are in constant motion. So far, teams that have played together in a while in their system have cut through the defense.

The Pistons have a chance to make up some ground in the next few games and get back to .500.

20 games, 30 games. That will tell where the team stands in the league. And then, the trade or trades? once they know the entire outlook of the team.

Lee356 likes this.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ok, some good writeups so far. I participated in chat for the first half. Here is what I remember:

Stuckey was pretty awesome, he missed very few shots on his way to 27, off the bench. His plus 15 was high for the game. Yes, he managed to lose Johnson when Johnson went thru picks, but that at least is making them work to get a shot.

Coach likes Stuckey coming off the bench. So Pope is still starting, a fact a lot of us like. Pope was plus 7 in this game, and most of that was late in the 3rd / beginning of the 4th where we ran the unit of Stuckey, Pope, Singler, CV, and Jorts. And Harrellson was also plus 6 in his short first half stint (just 3 minutes if I recall right) so he was plus 12 in the game. Jorts completed a play from a good handoff from Jennings (2nd quarter I think), and later drove in for the score. This unit had us up by 16 at one point. (Our starters had caught up and took a slight lead before this unit came in.)

What is Stuckey doing? Making good decisions. He gets to the hoop and makes the and one. They respect that, so he pulls up and swishes. They stop both, and Stuckey dishes for 6 assists to just one turn. Plus a lot of post up makes. Nothing from long range, though he tried a couple. 10-16 from the field, 7-8 from the line.

Jennings got a quiet 10 assists, to just a few turns. And 10-10 at the line. A nice little double double for him, clearly out playing his competition. Livingston did post up Jennings once successfully, but that was two of only 4 points scored by him.

Our starting front line out played theirs to the tune of 29 R us, to 17 R them. And 40 P us to 33 P them. Further, well into the 2nd half, the Nets had zero paint points. For the game, we beat them 56-22 in the paint. Pretty amazing. No evidence we need to break up that front line of Smith (+14), Monroe, and Drummond.

They went to beat a Drum at the five minute marks. After Drums only made 1 of 4, he was taken out of the game. And not brought back in at the two minute mark.

Singler plus 7 in this one. Nothing spectacular, but clearly, he did not hurt us on defense much. As someone said, maybe its the competition not making plays, but they simply were not going inside, so Singler's lack of size was kind of irrelevant.

No Siva until a minute of GT. Same for Mitchell.

Since no Siva, we got to see a Stuckey - Pope backcourt, nearly all in the 2nd half in that one stretch. I think Pope made his only two shots in that stretch, a longer pull up, and a made 3.

Jennings again went right once, and missed - choosing to do a floater left handed instead of the very high percentage flip off the glass with his right. He seriously needs to get in the gym and practice this. Can't recall the person's name who informed me that Jennings was simply over trained to go to his left by a past coach, with the left hand shot - he says he posts here on occasion. Maybe he will see this and take credit.

The Pistons kind of tried to give this one away around the 5 minute mark. With a lead like that, you at least want to run some clock off. They did not, quickly giving the ball back by taking and missing poor shots. A lot of heroics from Stuckey saved the game for us.

Lots of talk about our great D, but the fact is we won this one without that good a defense when you consider all the outside shots we failed to get out and challenge. The inside D was solid, sure, but they socred a triple shy of 100. We won this one by our offense, which except for the opening of the game and around the five minute mark of the 4th clicked along pretty well most of the game.

Drummond missed his 8th straight double double by just a point. Smith had a near double double while Moose joined Jennings in the double double club.

CV played a bit. Even for the game. He did not get burnt much inside, as again, the Nets were just getting nothing inside. CV hit two threes, and showed some of what CV could do if he put more effort into doing it, driving inside and using all that length to flip one in. CV contributed 2 blocks quickly upon entering in the 1st half. A triple each half.

How good was this win, considering they have a bunch of guys injured, and so far Garnett is really showing his age this season? It was an away win with a struggling team bound and determined to win a game. And a team with Pierce still hitting shots, and Joe Johnson right in his prime. A fine win, putting us in the playoffs if the season happened to end today. (I know, I blatantly stole that one, lol.)

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If the season ended today then the Pistons would have just bounced the most expensive team in NBA history from the playoffs!

The problem with Jemnings is he can't make a simple play where he just comes down and calls a simple post up that has him making an easy bounce pass. He has to be running in circles to be effective.

The Pistons can't run stall ball with him.

Stuckey has looked good. They've trimmed 3-4 dribbles from each of his moves and he doesn't have to make so many decisions.

I think Cheeks has done a good B+ type job with his rotation. Singler is the only guy he's seemed unusually wedded to (and he may have been right there) and he's given everyone else a chance.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

How many games have you waited to say that?

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought Singler played a pretty decent game today, considering we have lower expectations of him than Pope.

Anyone who was complaining about Pope not getting run earlier should be quite happy because he's getting minutes he probably doesn't deserve right now.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

If KCP were white we'd be talking up his intangibles.

He hasn't shot well, but he's done some other things. I like his off the dribble game which they lack.

I'm willing to grade him on a curve.

7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Wow the Brooklyn nets are abhorrent. Joe Johnson played pretty well but wow the rest were wallflowers. Kevin Garnett has been super average on this team. All the injuries must be hurting, but then again, the combination of Lawrence Frank and Jason Kidd (rookie coach) couldn't be helping. Imagine Garnetts reaction to Lawrence Frank joining in to practice...

Its not even about him actually hitting the shots. Its about the threat of him being open to take them. Players like JJ Reddick and Korver are told to run around and camp themselves in the corners because defenders have to follow them and can't help off them. Even if they don't end up with the ball you need to know where they are.

I like his defense. I like that he puts in a real effort on that end. He can put the ball on the floor. He isn't sloppy (of course he makes mistakes). He has good form shooting - he will be fine.

Singler isn't an NBA starter but it is what it is. He is the best guy on our roster to play the 3. Hands down.

Its good to see Pope getting burn - I agree that he probably doesn't deserve it though.

On another note, I don't ever want to see Charlie Villenueva in a motor city jersey. He is the anti-motor city. I don't care if he splashes buckets all game.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Since I constantly rip the dude, let me give him his deserved props.... Good game Brandon Jennings! A legitimate effort on defense, 10 asts and since you recognized that you're a brick layer....you limited your shot attempts. Smart. He was 2/10 tonight, his only 2 makes came in transition....which means he only took 8 shots in the half-court set, half of them were good shots. I can live with that.

KCP is the key. He's young, athletic and plays phenomenal defense but his shooting is horrid, if he and Jennings could shoot straight we'd be 8-5 instead of 5-8. He either needs to start making shots or limiting his shot attempts. KCP needs 1 or 2 spots on the floor where he's money and work to get open looks from that spot or spot.
    When you are a CAREER 39% shooter.....you NEVER HAD A SHOT TO LOSE!!!!

I HATE his game. He dances with the dall too much for my liking. There at least 3 times where he beat his man off the dibble and instead of just going to the hoop, he started doing all that herky-jerky crap from 13-feet. His whole offensive game is about shooting that goofy looking three from the wing off the dribble and trying to get a shot from the free throw line extension off the "herky-jerky"........this kids game needs so much work it's unbelievable. That said.....he has a TON of talent and he's still very young, but he simply hasn't figured out that his talent (alone) isn't good enough to rely on like Allen Iverson did.

Lee356 likes this.
  9. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

LOL, CV has 2 blocks and our 'BIG 3 Starters' has a combined of 0??? We are talking about CV here, CV??? OMG!

I don't know much about KCP but from what I read here in the forum, this guy can shoot 3s. REALLY???

Why is it most Detroit BIGs can't shoot FTs? Is it a tradition??? We have The Worm, Big Ben and now Dre. It's contagious and recently both Monroe & Smith has been missing quite a sum of these freebies.

Harrellson can play better pick & roll D than Monroe.

Nuff of the negatives. I'm HAPPY cuz WE WON, WE WON, WE WON.

Lee356 likes this.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pope is open, so he has to take the shot. His team mates believe him so at least Jennings is passing to him. If would hit more shots, you probably would see Jennings averaging 16-17 assists a game.

Speaking of assists, Pope has 9 in 10 games played. I know he's the shooting guard, but if your shot isn't falling, there always a big to pass it to who may be wide open if you are driving to the hoop... He still learning so hopefully he will think about that option one of these days...the sooner the better.

BallDon'tLie likes this.