Home Brooklyn Nets Wednesday Feb 6 2013

Discussion in 'February 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Middleton is iirc a natural 3. As for Knight, he's not a SG, true, but him playing there and basically getting turned into a spot up jump shooter is thanks to our genius GM and Tidbits. It's what the SG is allowed to do in Tidbits' scheme - remember that Kyle played the same way at the position, and Stuck before him, made more obvious by us now having a ball-dominant PG in Calderon whose game is reliant on having decent spot up jump shooters. Same goes for Stuck playing wing man to Will. I've never seen much positive with them on the floor at the same time, and now Stuck is being forced to play the 3 which only exacerbates the spacing problem and kills rebounding.

2. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Greg wasn't getting any calls tonight, and he was getting hacked to ribbons. He played a great game. When forced to go against a legit NBA center, in Lopez, on the low block, he struggled (which is always the case). However, he was fantastic in every other situation.

JJ is just a flat out great 15-18 minute guy. Maxiell did a really nice job on the glass and with his help.

I thought that Will, Jose, and Knight all played well enough to help the team win, although it would have been nice if Knight had hit on one of his three point attempts. Jose could have been a little more aggressive.

Chuck V. was horrendous on the defensive end. He left our undersized PGs, multiple times, to the mercies of D. Williams. That's just dumb basketball.

This team is one serious wing player, and another year of experience, away from being able to compete with anyone. They consistently get beat in crunch time because they don't have that guy who can get them points when it really matters. They got stop after stop down the stretch tonight, and couldn't get theirs on the other end.

Walter, linwood and The Panda like this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The highlight for me was to see TRG get meaningful minutes.

BallDon'tLie and copper like this.
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

With Calderon, you can see where the team needs to go more clearly and what this team might be about. CV and Stuckey just do not play in the flow--they slow down the offensive movement. And neither is a good enough scorer to compensate.

Knight will need time to develop his game, whatever his position turns out to be.

JJ has not improved his offensive game around the basket and, though he made one shot, he does not seem sure of his long range game. He is essentially the same player as when he came into the league. We should have seen improvement. The other day he still threw up his wild hook shot around the rim...who is coaching the young players?

The Pistons will only be drafting at 10 or 11 it looks like. They might still go for a natural point guard even if Calderon (who is 31 resigns) or maybe a scorer. There just is not enough skilled, experience shooters on the team. But at least with Drummond and Calderon, you can get a feel of where the team might go. A key will be how well Monroe and Drummond can play together.

J-Train likes this.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Our starting SG had an off night with 4-10 shooting... but Joe Johnson was 5-15. I'll take that trade off.

Our PG's were good with a combined 21 points (on 16 FGAs), 16 assists, and 5 tovs combined.

Was nice to see Slav in real action when it mattered and when he wasn't being fed in GT. My impression is that he seems comfortable as a traditional post player, he's got a pretty good motor, and he appears to be a good primary defender in the post (strong, decent position, doesn't leave his feet too easily). But he wasn't doing a very good job in snagging rebounds. It was an obvious call by Frank to put him in there with the injury and the rampant foul trouble and it was a good call leaving him in with 3 to finish the first half. Still was surprised to see it. Was waiting to see CV play center with Rodney at PF.

Teletovic was epic. Guys got some cajones to launch that third one, that's for sure. Upper management potential.

It was a very balanced and methodical attack by the Nets, who didn't seem to be playing with much passion all night. Once Lopez got going, our odds dropped quickly.

My nits:
    The refs were too whistle happy against us on touches. Evidence: 29 fouls on us compared to 19 for the Nets, yet the FTA's only favored them by 4 (so 2 shooting foul calls). The 8 additional non shooting fouls really damaged us and IMO they weren't warranted for the most part. Lots of phantom calls and late whistles all night.

- Even though it is hard to do with the night he had, I still would have checked in CV on the last possession needing a 3. He's tall, has a quick release, and has a great overall percentage this year. Having Calderon dump it off to Bynum in the corner with 2 seconds was a worse option than if Jose would have just tried to bicycle kick it in himself.

Oh well, with Drummond in, I would like to think that we would have taken this one down.

Laimbrane likes this.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Will Bynum shows what the Pistons need most. A guy who can get his shot off his own dribble and finish. There's a reason that he's led the Pistons to more improbable victories than anybody the last few years. When the going got tough he was the only one who could get a shot.

"Thank God the Pistons finally got a true point guard." said no one after Calderon found Will Bynum trapped in the corner for a highly contested 3 to try and tie the game.

Nets got a pretty good team. Couldn't Gerald Wallace give you 85% of what Josh Smith could for half the cost?

I think the Pistons really missed not having Tay to inbound the ball when it was a one possession game.

Karlov looked pretty good. He's got some bounce and seems aggressive.

BallDon'tLie and roscoe36 like this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I agree, but who is that player? He's not mentioned in trade rumors, I don't see him in the draft or available via free agency this summer or next summer.

8. J-Train

I absolutely love this guy. That's brass balls right there. If he doesn't make it in the NBA, then he'll be fantastic in whatever it is that he does in the next phase of his life.

I would bet that this guy always has smokin' hot women who are clearly out of his league. He doesn't care if he gets shot down. Not even a little bit.

He's taking the shot.

TaS likes this.
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Who's your serious wing player?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

10. J-Train

I think that Redick is a guy who could shoot us into some games. He's not a player that can carry you in crunch time. It's too easy to get the ball out of his hands, and if his shot is off, then he needs to be on the bench. I think that he's a 17-18 ppg guy, with (maybe) 20 ppg potential. I've liked him since his Duke days, and I rarely like Duke guys.

Sadly, it's an absolutely horrible year for free agency. Chris Paul is really the only true closer who I see out there, and I don't know why he would leave LA for Detroit, except for the weather. Dwight Howard and Al Jefferson are options, but both of those guys feel like "Assets" rather than "Guys Who Will Help The Pistons Win a Championship".

Shabazz or McLemore could be that guy, if we jump into the top three (it could happen), or somehow suck enough to drop into the top five (highly unlikely). McCollum could be that guy. The buzz is that he could be a Lillard/ Brandon Roy type guy. We don't NEED a Star. We need a closer. Chauncey was our closer for a few years there, and that team could play with anybody.

I'm feeling that we get lucky in the lottery, and grab Shabazz. But, since my "feelings" can't be considered the foundation for quality, collective, guesswork, I would say that we probably just grab a nice piece in the late lottery. You know, guys who could help us, but not necessarily get us over the top (Porter, Burke, Goodwin, Caldwell-Pope, MCW, etc.).

My guess, based on following Joe Dumars for years, is that he's looking for a SOLID, but unspectacular FA pick up. I think the cap space is for trade. Something like Greg Monroe for K. Love, around the deadline. That far under the cap, you don't have to go dollar for dollar. Even more likely, it's some deal that isn't even being reported yet. Flexibility to take advantage of opportunity.

I'm interested in watching how this team plays out over the next couple of months. It would be nice to see Dre, Greg, Kyle, Jose, and BK play together for awhile. The bench is interesting. I think that we'll have a better idea of what we actually need when the dust settles.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

I believe it said in the Det News today that this was the Pistons 12th loss of the year where they had a double digit lead.

Maybe we should hold off on the Monroe trade possibilities until we see what is up with Drummond's back.

You'd have to try to put a worse player than Bynum, Calderon, Knight at the 2. Stuckey looks like Jordan next to these guys.

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some team is going to need to salary dump a very good player and the Pistons are sitting in a perfect place to cash in.

13. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Can anyone say Paul Pierce?

If only he was like 6 years younger.

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for the explanation Alexa....got to stay off planes so I am up to date on the haps

15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

At the end of the game, they kept on exploiting the Joe Johnson/Kyle Singler matchup and we had no answer.

Defensively, this was probably the one game where the entire team showed a lot of effort. Lot of times half the team looks disinterested.

Slava is strong, but gets no respect from the refs.

JJ needs to hook up with Daye's life coach.

It was good to see Monroe take and make those jumpers from the elbow.

copper likes this.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe he just fouls too much. Monroe and Drummond seem to have been good from the very beginning at staying out of foul trouble.

17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Its tough for Moose to foul when he doesnt play defence....But Drum has done very well avoiding foul trouble especially since he is constantly going after players on defence

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

All our guys were getting ripped off last game. There were 47 fouls in 48 minutes.

Slava didn't appear to be foul prone. He looked relatively disciplined in the paint on D. I was hoping for more shot block attempts, but he just sort of did that Laimbeer straight up pose each time.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

I thought Krackov could have been called for a lot more fouls than he did.