Bucks get Magloire for Mason

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MotownPride, Oct 26, 2005.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Looks like we have a trade a week before the season starts.

Jamaal Magloire has been moved to the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for Desmond Mason who appeared to be the odd man out of the rotation. Does this trade along with the other moves Milwaukee has made this offseason insure them a place in the playoffs? Anyone care to weigh in on the fantasy basketball reprecussions of this trade?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2204385

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Stupid move. They already got a center in Andrew Bogut, and Mason works out great for there fast-break game perfectly. Who's there sf now?

3. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Good move

I think this is a terrific move for Milwaukee. With Simmons on board, Mason didn't make much sense. He's a good player, but redundant on that team. And any time you can trade a good 6'8" player for an equally good (or better) 6'11" player, you've done well. The Bucks were really soft inside.

This will take some of the pressure off Bogut to perform immediately. I could also see them using some rotations with both guys in there.

Still think their run for the playoffs, though, will depend on T.J. Ford. He really makes everything go.

4. linwood

linwood All-Star

Bogut and Magloire could make for a very good front court. Magloire is one of the toughest "enforcer" type guys in the NBA, and it should take alot of pressure of Bogut and allow him to play more of a finesse game.

I think this could make the Bucks much tougher, provided JM stays healthy.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Magloire is not better than Mason.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes he is and I really, really like Desmond Mason.

I think this has to do with Gadzuric pulling up lame in the preseason. I wonder what his prognosis is?

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Carrer stats:

Magloire: 25 mpg, 9.5 ppg on 48.2 % fgs and 71.5 ft%, 7.4 rpg, 1.1 bpg, and .8 assists per game.

Mason: 30.7 mpg, 12.9 ppg on 45.3 %fgs and 78.6 ft %, 4.5 rpg, .3 bpg, and 1.8 assists per game.

I say the trade is pretty even now.

8. MotownPride

that's debatebable.

A former all-star center has tremendous value in this league. Especially, in an Eastern Conference where the balance of power at the center postition is beginning to shift. The three best teams in the East (Indiana, Miami, and Detroit) have pretty descent frontlines. Besides, although Mason has been improving as a player, all he really has is a dunk championship under his belt.

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I never knew Magloire was an all-star. What year?

10. MotownPride

Just two years ago when the Hornets were still in the East.

11. roscoe36

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Very good move for the Bucks. You can't have too much height and Magloire was an up-and-coming center before injury derailed him last year. A lot of teams really wanted him a couple years ago but the asking price was too high.

He's got the freaky wingspan for defending the low post, which is something you have to think about if you're likely to face Detroit, Indy or Miami in the first round. He frees up Michael Redd on offense if he starts and probably helps Gadzuric too.

The Central is becoming a power division again ... shades of the early 70s.

13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

basketballreference.com

That basketball-reference.com link was good Micro. Good information. The Most similar Season at Age listing compares him to (among others) Jon Koncak, Gheorghe Muresan, Benoit Benjamin....

15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Basketball-reference.com is required reading. It's just too much fun cross-referencing guys you never heard of versus guys you have.

16. roscoe36

I always take the cross referencing with a grain of salt. It's done on raw numbers for the season, not averages. Since Magloire had an injury year, his comparisons will be weak.

Digressing just a bit, basketball-reference.com is really great for

1) when someone brings up a player you have no background on. You get a nice overview on their career.

2) The Stats lab is amazing once you figure out how to use it. Lots of neat queries you can run on different stat categories.

3) The player on player comparison feature is super sweet. Another great tool, and the use of 40 minute stats is so much more realistic than 48 minute comparisons. The factor used to calculate those numbers is closer to reality yielding a better baseline IMO to draw conclusions from.

Shoot. Just thought I would mention that if you are posting on other boards and don't want to warp some of the links from basketball-reference.com, use TinyUrl. You don't need it for PF.com because the posting interface intelligently crops the displayed url and hides the full link.

17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

That site has a lot of great lessons in it. The other day I was looking up Rick Barry in the 1965 draft, when he was drafted 4th overall by the Warriors -- three spots AFTER the Warriors took some guy named Fred Hetzel #1 while passing up Bill Bradley. Terrible pick, right? But I looked ol' Fred up, and he was actually pretty good. Played six years, double-digit career scorer, averaged 19 one season and actually played 84 games one season when he was traded. But now he's forgotten, and there are a million such guys. Stuff like that fascinates me.

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is a significant move in the Central.
    Milwaukee stockpiling bigs puts them in the upper echelon.
    It all depends on how healthy Maglorie is... when he's right he's a top 5 center.
    He owns a unblockable hook... and he can move folks out of the paint.

Fortunately for us he's not a premier defender.... but I would gladly take him on our squad.

The Bucks are for real now... they'll probably have to move Gadzuric... or the logjam will be unbearable.

Very very interesting move for the Bucks... I'm impressed with what they've done in a short time.

19. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Don't like the trade for the Hornets. They could've traded for Jalen Rose and got a REALLY good first round draft pick from the Raptors maybe for Magloire. He's expressed his interest in playing for the home team too.

Jalen Rose's contract is expiring too. Could've gave the Hornets cap space heading until next year with Ben becoming a free agent. Now they rely on Chris "Worst Slam Dunk Performance Ever" Anderson.

20. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

the trade

Why did seatle get rid of Mason if he is so good ? Ok they got Ray but still .
    I think the Bucks made a very good move here. Bogut can ease into the role of star center rather than have it forced on him. I think LanierFan said it first in this thread you can never have to much height. I dont beleive Jamaal really earned that allstar appearance rather he got it by default but an allstar is an allstar I guess. Bucks get a thumbs up for the move as for the hornets they get a :confused: cuz that Anderson kid blows