Build a Case - Best Damn Sports Organization in Town

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MotownPride, Oct 6, 2006.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

With the success that the Tigers,Shock,Pistons and Wings have enjoyed this year I thought it would be interesting to discuss what the best sports organization in town is today. There is an arguement that could be made for all 4 teams, so what I am looking for is for someone to build a strong, convincing case as to why one sports team is superior to the others. The rationale can include management, players, faciliities, history, economic efficiency, fan-friendliness, community involvement, league dominance....the sky is the limit. :)

Special props to anyone who can build a case for the Lions. lol. Feel free to do a ranking of sports teams (include more if you feel ambitious...college?) to accompany your arguement.

My quick ranking:

1)Tigers - young talent, manageable payroll, excellent coaching, beautiful stadium, strong lineage of success, in the heart of the city, owner who is dedicated to winning, huge momentum after finishing one shy of leagues worst record ever a couple years ago!
    2)Shock - Hard to deny 2 championships in the last 3 years, successful owner, great mix of talent and a hard nosed coach that invites feelings of championship nostagia
    3)Red Wings - Great coaching, great owner, strong lineage of success, shown ability to adjust to rule changes and still be one of the dominant forces in hockey
    4)Pistons - Easy number one choice a year ago. Poor offseason, inability to develop/keep youth, team identity crisis and controversial head coach are signs of an organization that has a lot of questions to answer this season as it pertains to management and player personnel.
    5)Lions - Fords suck. Millen sucks. Head Coach is on thin ice, but you gotta love Martz and the new offense. There are defintely signs of improvement, but in a town where every other team has proven to be one of their respective sports' elite...this is the natural position for the most depressing team in the city of Detroit. Oh yeah, nice stadium. :)
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would also consider how many customers each organization has.

For instance, the Shock may be great, but how many people care?

The Lions have 8 home games per year and provide live entertainment to about .5 Mill people per year.

However, the Tigers have about 84 home games and cycle almost 3 Mill people through.

So, if the Tigers are good, more Detroiters get enjoyment out of it.

Does this make any sense?
  3. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Just to be crochety about the Lions, screw the new stadium. Gimme the dome's noise, tailgating ability and superior sightlines anyday. I hate how FF looks like a cross between a football field and a loft apartment. It's also cramped and spaced out. I may be in the minority, but I don't care about the amenities. I don't want a sports facility dressed up as a mall.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well said. The Pistons are the ones, with the building of the Palace, that created the mini-mall concession trend.
  5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Pistons-----irregardless of the what they did in the playoffs last season, actually they set the standards for other teams to follow such as:
    #1 They were the first Pro Basketball team to own their own private airplane Roundball one. This is a fact, it was a big article in Sports Illustrated the year before the Bad Boys won the championship about this.

#2 They are the only basketball team that fans tailgate. It happens in football a lot but not basketball.

#3 They were the first team to build a state of the art Basketball facility ala the Palace

#4 The 3 Championships speak for themselves

#5 Joe Dumars being one of the few who played his entire career with one team and went on to win a championship as a player and GM.

Tigers

#1 If they go on to win the Worl Series, this has to be the best turn around in all of sports.

Shock

#1 Two championships in the past 3 years

#2 Bill Laimbeer the coach who has one championships for pistons and now shock

Red Wings - Don't follow them a whole lot.

Lions -- What can I say, they are my home team and every year they disappoint me.
  6. roscoe36

Historical View

1) Wings. An old and recent history of winning. Several of the games' greatest players have worn the Winged Wheel.

2) Tigers. Loads of tradition. 4 for 9 in the World Series. Kaline, Cobb, Anderson, Leyland (?)

3) Pistons. Last 25 years have been great with ups, downs and ups again. But previous to 1980, this was a franchise noted for it's futility and lack of success.

4) Shock. Too new to be included IMO, a subdivision of the Pistons as they are in the same ownership group and stadium.

5) Lions. What can you say? They've spent 50 years undoing their legacy.
  7. max

max All-Star

This is a hard question. Its easy to give the Tigers props right now for beating the Yankees which was a huge accompishment but their titles have been running in about 20 year increments.

RedWings. Easy 1st choice. Go to a wings game and you will be impressed with the parade of accompishments hanging on the rafters which puts the Palace banners to shame. During the height of "Hockey Town" in the mid-late 90's I believe they kept on retiring things at the Palace just so the fans from the Joe would have something to look at.

But in the same time frame as the NBA ( since the mid-50's ) the Wings have only won 3 cups. Made the playoffs 19 out of the past 22 years but only have 2 cups in that period. So if you like a competitive team and something to watch in the reg season they would be a good choice.

Note - Wings cap is 39mil.

Lions? Have not even been in the Superbowl since they have had it.

Shock? They would have won this had fan interest not been considered but we are dealing with such a huge difference that I would have to discount them.

Overall I would have to go with the Wings. Very dissapointing in the playoffs but management was always willing to spend whatever they could to help out the team and they usually were able to retain the talent. Personally I never really could get into Hockey. Don't ask me why just never really followed it.
  8. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

It is just a matter of time for the Lions before they'er made into winners .
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

That`s a joke.........right???
  11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I'd go with the Wings first simply because they've been very consistent over the years. Then the Tigers. I also go with the Illitch franchises because they wear the Detroit moniker and they actually play IN Detroit. It will always bother me that the Pistons play in Auburn Hills. It is a Detroit team and that's where they should play. To me, that is an element of success. The decision to play 40 miles away bugs me, and I'll never like Davidson because of it. The Lions are a distant last and the Shock are part of the Pistons so I group those two together.

1. Wings
    2. Tigers
    3. Pistons/Shock
    4. Lie-downs
  12. Prophecy Revealed

Nope!!! And that should tell you how loyal I am to all Detroit teams. Now...... [sign]WELCOME TO DETROIT CITY[/sign]
  13. roscoe36

When they had to make repairs to the 'Dome, and would come back to the city, the Pistons simply couldn't draw.

Maybe things are different now, but an up and coming Pistons team was unable to put people in the downtown seats (in large enough numbers) during the early-mid 80s.

As a business move, building the Palace was unparalleled. Palace Sports and Entertainment has practically built Auburn Hills, and put it on the national map by going to the Finals in 89 and 90.
  14. max

max All-Star

I think most people that go to the games really appreciate not having to fight Detroit rush hour traffic and not having to park 1/2 mile away from the stadium.

Going to the Palace is so much easier. The fact that Davison paid for it should get him some points in this.
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yer right max. i love heading to the palace ... it's so easy, and you park right at the stadium. on the contrary, i hate going to tigers games or downtown in general simply because of the parking (which is often 2-3 times more expensive than palace parking anyway).
  16. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

1. The Wings. Outstanding GM who has built a winning organization and kept it winning over many seasons. Not afraid to change coaches and players as needed to keep the momentum going. Owner smart enough to realize his GM is the best in the league and to do what he says. Great scouting and player development.

2. The Pistons (although the Tigers are closing fast). Very good GM who makes pretty good moves. Frequent coaching changes and yet the performance level remains good. Last year a disapointment to the fans, but how many teams made it to the division finals? Only four. Big question, can he keep the level up for several more years as the Wings have done?

3. The Tigers. Great GM (finally) who knows what he is doing. Took Illich too long to find him, but at least now the team is better, the coach is better, and the scouting and organization are better. We could be looking at a long run a la the Wings.

4. Big, Big Drop to the Lions. Ford has never, ever had a top notch GM. From Russ Thomas to Millen its one disaster after another. Ford will not change his leadershihp until the ship hits bottom and lies there for years. (Reminds me of the Ford Co.). All we can do is hope Ford or Millen dies, and he actually makes a good decision. Don't hold your breath.
  17. Prophecy Revealed

I believe a team should always be in the city it is named after. It just seems like common sense to me just ask the Lions, they don't win yet still sell out, so how much more would a winning team sell. [sign]WELCOME TO DETROIT CITY[/sign]
  18. max

max All-Star

Yes but I think the Pistons are still kind of vulnerable especially in losing seasons. Our teams are hard to get to in the city. Its not like its an easy subway stop or bus ride away for most folkes.
  19. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I remember when we were playing at the Joe. Every game you could here echos, it was just a horrible place to play. I wished the Pistons played at the old Olympia Stadium on Grand River where the wings called home for many years. Now that's an historical site, we used to go to the Riveria Theater on Sundays which was up the street from the Olympia.
  20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Sure. I like when Davidson throws the Detroiters a few crumbs by having the parade down there on Woodward. Sure is nice of him. A bunch of fans celebrating a team they rarely get to see during the season, except on television.

The reason the Pistons play in Auburn Hills is because - like you said - it's a business move. Poor Detroiters can't afford to go to Pistons games, but wealthier suburban folks can.

I'd rather see the Pistons play in Detroit and suburban folks bring their money into the city. I'll be glad when somebody else owns the Pistons. Cannot stand Davidson. He's a rich, old cheap prick.