1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Building for the Future

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Delfino Delivers, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I have come to the conclusion that we are not attempting to win now. I know this may come as a revelation to some of you. Watching the games this year with the rotations and moves of the head coach leave no doubt that we are more concerned about next year and those that follow then now.

If we were trying to win now:
    • Austin Daye would be playing and at the small forward position; not power forward when he plays
    • TMac would have already replaced Bynum in the second unit
    • Monroe would be taking Max's minutes at center
    • CV would be the starting power forward with Wilcox backing him up

The reason I come to these conclusions are because we are assuming that Daye will put on weight and strength in the future. At 6'11" and pounds he would be more suited for power forward then small. In the Garnett mold I guess is there thinking?

TMac has not been signed long term where Bynum has. Nuff said.

Monroe is out playing Max but he also has a big contract. Max has hit the ceiling but Monroe is still growing with each minute he plays so bring him along slowly and let his confidence grow until Ben is gone.

The Max/Daye power forward combo give us nothing compared to what CV can give us now but if Daye is going to play this position in the future they are grooming him for it and not letting him be concerned about learning a position he won't play (small forward).

The other thing is letting Q take the lumps for the losing and letting Laimbeer take over for the winning.

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

nothing happens before lockout and owners changing. maybe even Illitch does not to want to buy this team before he has seen new CBA.

comparably to previously mentioned issues rookie minutes are irrelevant.

3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

With this kind of reasoning you could conclude that with the looming armageddon of 2012 Illitch decision is irrelevant.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. I definitely don't think Q is concerned about next year or not. I think he is trying to win, but he is not sure how to go about doing it because has no clue.....

Even if he were trying to set up the team for next year, he should be starting Monroe and Daye so that they could gain that experience now as opposed to feeding then 20 minutes one game and then none the next. Keep doing that and they will wind up just like Max.

I don't normally get involved in the full rotation conversations, but I would be starting Monroe, Daye, CV, Bengo and Stuck and bring those selfish vets, Tay and Rip in off the bench along with TMac, Big Ben and then use Max, Bynum and Wilcox as situational players.

5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I wasn't being sarcastic. It may not even be Q's decision. It just seems to me that it is pretty obvious that Daye could play the small forward position NOW but instead we put him at power forward; when he plays. This makes no sense.

Bynum is giving us nothing and the offense clicks with TMac at the point with that second unit. He seems to have taken Monroe under his wing and makes it a priority to get him touches in the paint.

I have never been a Max fan and maybe am biased but if Ben is going to start; Monroe should get all the other minutes. He has only gotten better and better with each game. There is no reason if we are trying to win now that Max should ever play center.

If CV starts at PF he has Ben to back him up. It also alleviates the scoring load of the rest of the starters and opens lanes for Stuck. Playing Daye and Max here is a waste of time in my opinion.

This may be a mandate from above that Q is following; I don't know. It just seems that these few moves could translate to more wins now instead of development for the future.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dude the coach is not concerned about tomorrow. You realize Daye doesn't even play anymore right? Austin as of right now is not a better basketball player than Tayshaun Prince or Tracy McGrady, he lacks court awareness and intuition, things that he can only get by.... drumroll please ......PLAYING!!!! Monroe plays every minute that Ben doesn't play (which is a mistake). What's happening right now is a joke, Monroe SUCKED early in the season, but their was some media pressure that got him some minutes, he's not lighting the world on fire but he's getting better and better, AS A RESULT OF PLAYING!!!! I'm convinced that Austin will only see spot minutes, you realize our bench players are actually better than the players starting ahead them right? This post is rambled and makes no sense, I guess the foolishness of this organization has finally gotten to me and pushed me over the edge.

7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I doubt that decision was made based on the talents of Daye or even our plans for his future. I think it has everything to do with Q not having the guts to take SF minutes away from Prince and T-Mac.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

BINGO!!!!!!! DING-DING-DING-DING-DING ....... Bob tell him what he's won!!!!! Had we drafted Kevin Durant a few years ago he'd be on somebody else's team because he would have been caught up in "a numbers game" because of Tayshaun Prince's mandatory 30+mpg.

9. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

The Pistons aren't building towards the future.

The Pistons aren't building towards the playoffs.

The Pistons are building towards long term mediocrity. The roster moves of the last 2 years or so and the rotation this year suggests just that. That would actually make sense. If that's not what they are trying to do, then uh oh.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Building for the future, this has me cracking up, Delfino Delivers just has to be giving us a healthy dose of sarcasm with this.

Here's what's funny, we had a SG in Rip and a really good young SG in Afflalo. We GAVE Afflalo away to sign a guy to a $50M+ dollar contract. Lets's compare Rip vs Arron shall we:
    PPG: 13.1 / 12.5
    RPG: 3.1 / 4.4
    APG: 2.5 / 2.7
    FG%: 40.2% / 50.4%
    3FG%: 33.3% / 43.6%
    FT%: 87% / 85%
    2010-11 Salary: $12,500,000 / Less than $2M.

I also think we all agree AA is the superior defender too. And Joe Du(nothing) Gave AA AWAY for nothing, that move alone should cost him his job at this point, we're paying $10,000,000 for .6ppg.

Building for the future :pound:

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I do not see any future with our current roster. Since we retain more draft choices than any NBA team, Joe seems to have a plan of building through the draft. Since we rarely trade for players, Joe is unable to fathom the worth of his own players. Since we are playing .333 basketball since the beginning of last season, Joe seems to be sitting on his hands, unless when eating popcorn.

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If you really want to think positive about the situation, perhaps Dumars told Kuester to give Tay and Rip lots of minutes to help their trade value.

13. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Team Captain 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The trade value scenario is very valid. However, even if Rip was playing well (which he is, he isn't playing horrible), his contract is so bad, it would make to dump. Does the looming CBA help out with his contract, with teams possibly thinking they can escape from his final year?

14. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

...is not something the Pistons are doing. Near the bottom of the conference, well below .500, just got embarrassed by the heat, and still not playing a good young player like Austin Daye. If AA/AJ had been kept on the team, they'd be in the same boat. AJ gets a steady 20 minutes a night and has been fairly productive. Not lighting the world on fire, but he's not fouling out every night either. AA has been playing about the same - heck, even Darko's doing a bit better. Why? Because they were given time on the floor. They've developed some confidence. The Pistons don't even have the excuse of fighting for a number one seed or a title anymore and still it's the same old thing.

15. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

You mean the same Tayshaun who was the sole reason we drafted Darko instead of Anthony? I definately think Tay deserves his due for what he contributed to this franchise but his time is up, he needs to go so they can give those minutes to Daye who should be at the 3 anyway. It's been some time since I've been a fan of Tay. IMO he's overrated and disappears far to frequently to be a consistant impact player. Let him be a role player for someone else to which he's better suited for.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You must not be a big fan of glue in general. I bet you use tape a lot.

17. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

glue doesn't stick to crap very well. My point is we are not in the position right now for Tay to add the value that he's capable of hence my comment about him needing to be in the position of a role player. We need more out of him than that right now and he isn't capable of providing it.

18. Brap

Brap Starter

Not playing Daye a lot is inexcusable.

Frankly, not playing Summers (ever) is pretty dumb also. That kid is talented.

Not getting Ben Gordon 10 shots a game, at least, is dumb dumbville.

Playing Bynum right now doesn't make any sense, since that guy has completely lost his game. If he isn't taking it fearlessly to the rim, he's less than useless.

The only thing I can think of that makes any sense as to why Rip, Tay and Maxiell are each getting way more minutes than they should, given we're a team that is developing for some distant future, is that those guys need to play in order to be showcased.

19. Brap

Brap Starter

Totally agreed.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Signing McGrady is the reason Daye can't get on the court at his natural position. Any time you see T-Mac playing you could be seeing Daye.

That signing shows that Joe thinks he has somehow captured lightning in a bottle with this roster. He thinks the Pistons have a top 10 team in the L.