Bull want to keep Ben Gordon

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by CarlosGallan, May 21, 2009.

1. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Bull want to keep Ben Gordon

New Chicago GM Gar Forman was asked about the future of unrestricted free agent Ben Gordon.
    "We like Ben," Forman said. "He's our kind of guy. He's got great makeup and character, a great work ethic. Our goal is to re-sign Ben Gordon. In the conversations we've had, I think Ben wants to stay here in Chicago."

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Bulls Want To Keep Gordon

2. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Good news, we don't need him.

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'd prefer Salmons but the Bulls have him locked up cheap for 2 more years.

4. Bender

Bender First Round Draft Pick

Good for them! I don't think the bulls want him going anywhere, and will do anything in their power to keep him in red.

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

This really throws a monkey wrench into Joe's master plan of fielding an entire team of combo guards.

...back to the drawing board.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Tay & Jmax for Tim Thomas (expiring), Ty Thomas & Deng.. this gets Gordon inked in Chicago.
    It gives us a mobile defending PF (that won't get pushed around like Amir)... his offense has become better than expected (better than Jmax or Chandler)... he's added a mid range shot... still hasn't reached the ceiling yet.
    IMO Deng > Tay
    Thomas can start at PF and be an effective backup center (making Kwame expendable)... we need to gain back our challenging mean streak.
    This leaves 10 mil to acquire a center... plus 6.4M off the books in 2010/11.... it's only step one

7. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Firstly that's all GM talk. Every word. Basically telling suitors to not bother, so they don't have anyone come in and inflate Gordon's value this summer.

Although I have been the most vocal supporter of signing BGiddy to an offer sheet (his ability to score when it counts outweighs his limitations, and besides he's young enough to improve in every area except height), I really dig the Mercury's suggestion. Tyrus continues to show flashes of brilliance, and has become expendable with the rise of Noah. He could really shine with more PT.
    I also believe Tyrus has reasonably large hands.:stirthepot:

Deng is an awful lot younger and less of a cold body than the one Tay has become. Still leaves us without a closer though.

I don't think its a deal that Chi-town would snub their nose at. The question is, do they want to sign Gordon and save on money bad enough, and is that the best deal they could get?

Looking at it from another perspective, ultimately, if no one signs him to an offer sheet, the Bulls will have absolutely no incentive to do that deal.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Deng is signed for way too long. Through 2014. He'll be making over $14M per year toward the end of it. That is Lebron James money.

While the salary cap shrinks, his salary goes up every year.

And on top of all that, he's not playing to his contract and presents an injury risk.

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wonder if new contracts will be written with salaries not expressed in dollars but as a share of the cap.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Would require an entirely new way of thinking, which frankly I do not think most people are capable of adapting to.

11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

The thinkers are out there. Too much insecurity, all around, at days end.

Degrees of solutions advancing both lines of the middle, while obtaining some time for stability, are fractured with ideological zero/sum options. I was surprised that Stern (and was rather smart about it) started the CBA early in the time frame. This is good. No elections need be held. Agents will try to balance getting higher pay vs. time frames. They can't get both. They will have to tone down their thirsty ears and think survivability for their clients.

Starting in July will be some interesting maneuvers by all concerned.

12. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

OK. Let's NOT trade for Deng then.

I still say Gortat in the middle, and Gordon on the perimeter, would be a good start to remaking the team.

13. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Not....

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

% of salary cap would be interesting indeed. The players union would then want to scrutinize the financials a bit more, so maybe the owners wouldn't really want that in the end. I'm not sure how much is open kamono already, so maybe it wouldn't be any different. But owners don't like sharing financials with their employees if they can help it. And no player would agree to a deal like that if there wasn't total transparency.

15. CarlosGallan

Gortart is an upgrade in the center position,to stop LJ or D Howard on the zone with a cheaper salary,perfect to rebuild and broke orlando roster next seasson.
    I think Marc Gasol or Oden will be better,but these are imposible targets.
    Kamman healthy vs Gortart weak ofensive..i prefer young low risk polish.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Are you sure Marc Gasol isn't a stiff?

17. CarlosGallan

marc is a future undertaker haha,he is in rookie seasson,but is tallest,biggest,has good shot and next seasson will improve his strength and % in nba range.
    In menphis two players had one important % of total shots,Marc need a team where players play together not in memphis...That´s reasson rubio don´t want go menphis. Mayo and Gay need two balls and don´t have colective actitude. Marc in other team will play better,is not Howard or Oneil,in spain 3 years ago we think marc gasol was a fat boy,a bad brother of gasol with zero quality. In mundial final with pau injuried his brother lead spain against argentina. Since this game people coach give him minutes and confidence.
    Normally people of usa has not seeing grizzlies games but is a future very good center,see his stadistics in his rookie year,when he is the third ofensive option of the team.
    Gortart is a cheap option for the future,this years detroit has no competence to sign him,is an opportunity to a 4 year contract cheap salary.:stirthepot:

18. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

michael pietrus would be a cheap and consistent upgrade at the 3.

19. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Agreed! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good post Carlos. Gasol has upside, and he can probably be had for a value deal, because Memphis has no interest in building a winner. They are happy if they don't lose money.

Pietrus has real issues staying healthy.