Bulls fire Scott Skiles

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dumars4Ever, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

ESPN - Bulls fire coach Skiles; no replacement named yet - NBA

Bulls fans will probably be happy about this.
  2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Is there a coach Ben doesn't hate?
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Flipper is pretty amazing

Cola did not survive Big Ben
    Pound for Pound did survive Big Ben
    Skiles did not survive Big Ben

Flipper survived Big Ben and evidently patched things up with Uncle Sheed.

I just hope we win the title this year mostly because it would make Pistons fans very happy, but also because I got a feeling that we are stuck with Flipper at least until his current contract runs out regardless of whether we win a title with him as coach or not.

Would KG had left (been traded) MN earlier if Flipper had left earlier? He was out pretty quickly after Flipper left and we all know that KG thinks a lot of Flipper. It is going to be quite a while before the T-Wolves get back to the playoffs.

:hoops:
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm sitting here giggling a bit thinking about Larry Brown's head blowing off trying to coach Ben Gordon.
  5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Looks like the other Van Gundy will be coming back.............
  6. max

max All-Star

Little surprising since this year is starting off the same as the others. For whatever reason most Bulls fans feel differently about this 9-16 start and Paxson must be under a lot more heat. Firing the coach is a popular 1st line of defense for a GM.

Pistons meanwhile are off to the leagues 2nd best record so far. The leagues not just the East.
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

HEADBANDS FOR EVERYONE!!!

:party2::party::dancingparty:
  8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Actually they recovered far better last year from their slow start than they did this year. Their low point last season was losing the first 6 games of their circus road trip to fall to 3-9, but they immediately won 12 of their next 13 and never fell below 3 games over .500 the rest of the way, eventually finishing 49-33. Their record after 25 games was 15-10. But now that they're 7 below .500 after 25 games, it's pretty clear that they've taken a step back.
  9. buddahfan

Just to stir the pot a little.

Except against us Big Ben's performance this year for the most part has been off quite a bit. Of course he has been injured, but he hasn't missed that many games.

I was just thinking.

Big Ben has got an awfully large contract, which it appears at this point the Bulls are probably stuck with. There is no way, in my opinion, given Ben's huge salary that they could trade him, unless they agreed to eat a big chunk of his salary but would that do them any good?

One of the salary cap experts on this forum could probably explain if the Bulls traded Big Ben but ate some of his contract how that would affect their cap.

In any case, he will not be too easy to trade because his performance has been way off this year against everyone but us.

Right now the Bulls are really hurting financially because of the deal that they gave Big Ben. So maybe Paxon thought it would be better and cheaper to get rid of Skiles, depending on how much of his contract that they have to eat and hope that Big Ben's performance improves enough to warrant most if not all of his salary.

My guess is that Big Ben's performance is going to improve starting now.

Did I just say that he has been dogging it in order to force Paxon's hand to fire Skiles?

10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Ben has obviously been struggling a lot in recent weeks, but I think he has way too much professional pride to dog it for any conceivable reason, no matter how bad his relationship might be with whomever the coach is.
  11. buddahfan

You are most likely correct.

Most likely he was not dogging it, but the bad relationship with Skiles along with the poor performance of the Bulls this year along with Big Ben's injuries could have negatively affected his mental approach to the games and therefore his performance.

Also, we continue to win, and he could be bummed out about taking the Bulls deal and not staying with us for less money, even though he publicly denies it.

12. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Yeah, I personally think it is bull. Chicago is has been a slow starting team and Skiles has them peeking in the playoffs. The only thing different this year is that the management messed up the psyche of the team the first 10 games by allowing all those Kobe rumors to fly. The guys were bombarded by trade rumors. Plus you add a few new good players to the mix, it takes a little time to get in a groove. Chicago was starting to get it turned around. They were 500 over the last 10 games. They had the worst part of the season and were only two games out of the last playoff spot. I'd trade Flipper for Skiles right now. They can throw Ben in the trade too.
  13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Actually some commentary has said that the Gasol-to-Chicago rumors last year were basically stronger than the Kobe rumors this season--obviously not as much on the national media radar, but more realistic because the chances of the Bulls actually trading Kobe were never very good. The failure to reach contract extensions with Deng and Gordon might have more to do with their production dropping than the Kobe rumors. Though I'm not sure what the deal is with Hinrich, who's been particularly bad.

Bulls fans at the blog I've been checking a bit (blogabull.com) seem to have a similar complaint vis-a-vis Skiles not playing their young big men that we have with Flip Sr. and Amir, only it's more pronounced with the Bulls fans because it's about more than one young player for them. And in general, there seems to be a lot of anger with how he managed their rotations, but even worse than our criticisms of Flip Sr. because (unlike our situation here) Skiles kept messing around with their starting lineups.
  14. buddahfan

Why did they fire Skiles if the team started the same as last year and yet they still almost made it to the ECF last season.

Skiles didn't control personnel changes.

The trade rumors?

Paxon is going to fire Skiles because of trade rumors that he helped create a lot more than Skiles.

So why did Paxon really fire Skiles?

Maybe Paxon just woke up on the other side of the bed.

Would you trade Kufous for Love? LOL

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Check out Arena's latest blog. It gives a pretty good account of the Deng/Gordon thing. Gordon actually sat down to talk to Arena's about it, maybe knowing he would put it out there.

They fire Skiles around Christmas. That's cold.

As long as the Bulls fon't hire LB, i'm good.
  16. buddahfan

Skiles came on board in 2003-04.

The players that they say he failed to develop are probably from the group that were traded like Chandler, Crawford, Curry etc.

But Hinrich's first year was also 2003-04, Gordon's, Duhon's, Nocioni's and Deng's first year were all 2004-05, Those five guys all developed under Skiles were the Bulls five leading scores last year and got them within 2 wins of the ECF. So I really don't understand how people can say that he didn't develop young guys.

Chandler had been with the Bulls for two years before Skiles arrived so what did Cartwright a former center and Chandlers initial coach with the Bulls do during those two years to develop Chandler? No way you can lay that on Skiles, though he did have Chandler for three years before they sent him to NOK. The fact is also that during Chandler's last two years in Chicago he averaged about 14 rebounds per 40 minutes so it wasn't like he was doing a Darko.

As far as Curry and Crawford go. Look what they are doing now with the Knicks. Did Skiles ruin their careers? I doubt it, because he certainly doesn't have appeared to have ruined the careers of Chandler, Gordon Hinrich, Deng, Duhon and Nocioni.

As far as using a lot of different lineups. They had injuries and were playing poorly so he was trying to improve their performance.

17. buddahfan

Doesn't that have to do with the contract extensions offered by Paxon that they turned down.

This sounds like a Paxon thing, not Skiles.

If you do a search for "Skiles" on the Arenas blog you come up empty.

So according to the Captain Quirk blog the problem with Deng/Gordon and the Bulls had to do with Paxon and not Skiles.

Gordon, Deng Respond to Gilbert - Wizards Insider

NBA.com Blog Squad: Gilbert Arenas Fan Voice

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Obviously Paxton believed the ESPN and SI hype about the Bulls winning the east and with the horrific start he was forced to make a move...Send in Ron Jeremy's brother or even the Zar to take over. LB like Hubie and Daddy Rich, may be a tad to old to coach in todays environment....
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Can we fire Flip so that the Bulls can have him?
  20. buddahfan

Did Paxon fire Skiles because he knows that Zeke is getting the ax in N.Y.? and is planning on bringing Zeke back home?

I don't know how the Bulls fans would take to having a Bad Boy as a coach, even one from Chicago.