Bulls fire Scott Skiles

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dumars4Ever, Dec 24, 2007.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Yea i meant the contract situations affecting play more than coaching. It sounds like they are angry with management not the coach.
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Ben will go insane LOL
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I think they mainly want Thomas and Noah to play more, and fewer minutes for Big Ben.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought about that too Budda, thinking that bringing home the native son might put a fire under the da bulls......I can't recall what history that Zeke and Paxton have though.

The next question is if for some awful reason Flip doesn't get to the finals again, is Skiles on Joe's future radar??
  5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'd have to think about watching many piston games if he was our next coach... i'd always cheer and hope they win. but he's a rotten coach for our team... he's a coach in the terms of Doug Collins and cola, great for young bad teams but when there ready to take the next step its time to show them the door.
  7. max

max All-Star

They should hire Rick Carlisle. He can do wonders with a mish mosh of talent.

I loved Isiah as a player but what sober and sane GM/Owner would possible want to hire Isiah for anything front office related?
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Sure, RC might be a great coach for the Bulls for the win column but he is rough on the secretarial staff.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Since Chicago pretty much has a set roster, its not a bad idea. Carlisle is good at getting a lot out of the players he chooses to play. His main deficit is he needs to be baby sat as far as who he plays.
  10. max

max All-Star

We did have him right at the start of his head coaching career so have to keep that in mind. I am sure he has learned a few things since then.

I hope they don't hire him because he would be a good fit for them. Maybe good enough to still get them into the playoffs.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would never want Carlisle back as a Pistons coach, but the job that he did with the 2002 Detroit team was the best I have ever seen from a Pistons coach.

To take that 2002 roster (Stackhouse, Robinson, Chucky, Corliss, etc.) and get 50 wins out of it was remarkable. To actually win a playoff series (first in 11 years) was a huge step out of the teal era and into the direction of the current championship era.

Like I said, I don't want him back, but Carlisle certainly got the most out of those two Pistons teams that he coached.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think a Bulls team coached by RC would give the rest of the league as much trouble as the Skiles coached Bulls give the Pistons.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Skiles won't make excuses, point fingers at Bulls players on ChicagoSports.com

It looks like Ben Wallace got a say in what went down. I wonder how he feels about RC now.
  14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This might seem the obvious choice. A lot would depend on how Paxton reacted with his talks from player interviews before the firing.

I wouldn't go with an established coach that has a lot of baggage right now, because it would take too long for trust level development.

If the bulls are to get back on track, then it would have to be with a younger type who would get immediate player buy-in. Someone who has played a high level and been exposed to all types of team-coached circumstances.

Also high on my list is someone who can balance enthusiasm, trust, encouragement and analytical judgments as seen from organizational levels.

Paxon should pick Stu Jackson.
  15. max

max All-Star

Still, whatever coach they get its not going to turn them into instant contenders. They are solid at every position but nothing stands out. Heinrich is solid but not great and that little 6' shooting guard they have is not making it.

They need an agressive GM who is not afraid to take some risks. Especially since they are effectivly off the FA market this summer.

Good news to me if they stay the same. .500 something team that will get knocked off in the 1st or 2nd round.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I dunno. Seems like they are stuck between a rock and hard place. They are a team who is supposed to contend for a title. We all know that there aren't many coaches available for teams trying to turn the corner. In terms of demand, there are many teams trying to take the next step towards contendership, but absolutely zero coaches available with a proven resume, except for....................LB4LB, and as hard as LB is on guards, Heinrich & BenG, would be a mental mess by March. He'd have Duhon, Griffin, Deng, Ben and Joe Smith starting, Tyrus Thomas, Hawes, Noah, Gordan, and Heinrich would be DNP-CD's every game.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Doug Collins:pound:
  18. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Talked about this when the news broke on Sirius NBA radio with Dee Brown. One name that came up is Terry Porter.
    One of the main problems is Wallace's contract is so huge they can't afford the money for Gordon and Deng both. They would be paid less than him. Smart move (of course) to let Ben walk so we could sign CB to his money.
  19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Exactly.

It is Big Ben's Big Contract that we did not offer, that along with trading Nazr and C-Bill's new team first contract, that are going to keep us financially competitive and on the court at the top of league.

The Bulls had to choose.

Remove Skiles in the hopes that Big Ben will be a lot happier and pick up his game enough to get the Bulls into the playoffs this year.

or

Stay status quo and get a lottery pick.

Unfortunately, for them the removing Skiles did not help their financial position.

Dr. D. Phd in Commerce. He knows how to handle the $$$$$$$.

:hoops:
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

Sounds like the Pistons.