Bulls fire Scott Skiles

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dumars4Ever, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

How the hell is this Ben's fault too?

....okay...it's Christmas....I'm not going to start...........breathe.......breathe....

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

If you are referring to my post that is not what I said.

I said

1. The Bulls overpaid for him because it eliminated in their financial flexibility,

2. Dr. D was smart in not offering a max contract to Big Ben

3. Big Ben and Skiles didn't get along (headband situation is just one example). Now that Skiles is gone Big Ben should be happier and therefore play better. When he plays better the Bulls play better.

In none of the above is Big Ben being accused of being at fault for anything.

Happy Holidays

:hoops:

3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Not just Ben, but any player who doesn`t give his all everytime he steps on the floor (making the kind of money that Ben does) is a disgrace to sports.

I can deal with someone being unhappy, however, you are still recieving your check on the 1st and 15th of the month so you should be playing at your best, unless you are injured.

4. buddahfan

As everyone knows I put a lot of importance the emotional aspect of the game and I believe that when a player and his coach don't get along it can negatively affect a player's emotions and hence his performance.

In my opinion fighting through physical pain, can often be less difficult than fighting through emotional pain.

5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Thank you. It isn't. Good Lord.

Of all the simplistic, escape goat ideas this one beats all.

Merry Christmas Big Ben Wallace. I'll always love you and I promise that anytime someone takes a cheap shot at you I'll put them on ignore. Amen.

6. buddahfan

No one said it was Ben's fault.

7. Dlev59

There have been many examples of players and coaches not getting along, yet still remain competitive (against the opponent) and successful.

If a player is making max money and unhappy with his coach and fails to produce on the court, IMO, it shows a lack of maturity and selfishness. It has nothing to do with emotion.

8. buddahfan

A lot of people have made a big deal of Kobe being able to rise above all the negative stuff in the media and lead the Lakers this year to one of the best records in the league.

Why

1. Because he is a star and great media copy.
    2. Because it is unusual for most people to do that, regardless of how much money they are making.

It seems to me that you are being very hard on Big Ben, and unfairly so.

9. Dlev59

What?

I am talking about any player who exhibits the attitude and behavior that you stated in your previous post.

You said Ben was being emotional and unhappy with Skiles and that led to his poor play thus far this season.

I for one don`t believe Ben`s lees than stellar perfomance at times this season is because of his relationship with Skiles. I am not being hard on Ben.

Kobe is a very good example, thanks, however, I wasn`t even thinking of Kobe.

10. buddahfan

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I thought I said that Big Ben was unhappy with the conflict that existed between them, which is not the same as being unhappy with Skiles.

In relationships almost everyone is unhappy with conflict that may exist, but that doesn't mean that they are being unhappy with the person that they are having that conflict with.

11. linwood

linwood All-Star

I hear ya.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In an article today Pax says they may not hire a coach until the summer with one of the assistants running the team until then.

Surely not...

13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

No, it wasn't solely in response to you. I didn't think you inferred that at any point. It was just the first two pages of this thread that almost drove me over the edge. That and the assumption that Ben Wallace only plays when he wants to.

But, I'm letting it go. Some people just hate guys that are poor FT shooters no matter what they do.

14. buddahfan

I hear ya.

Glad ya didn't jump. Its not worth it.

15. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Ian Eagle and Dee Brown thought that Pete Myers might take it over for awhile, but they figured a hire would come pretty quick.

One thing I asked is if the problem is Ben's game is offensive rebounding and kickout to the guards or in our case, big men who could shoot. The Bulls primarily have jumpshooters and therefore no offensive rebounds.
    I noticed that in our losses to the Bulls, Nocione was the one that got penetration and Ben got the Offensive rebounds when our defense failed.

16. buddahfan

Rumors - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

17. max

max All-Star

Lot of things stand out for the Pistons. Billups vs Heinrich, Rip vs Gordon, Sheed vs Joe Smith. Anyone take the Bulls in that?

The Bulls have not been in the same serious contender class ( beyond pre-season hype ) that the Pistons have enjoyed for the past 4 seasons since #23 played for them. I could only imagine what a 20-7 start would mean to them.

Our story is more one of wasted opportunities.

18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Skiles has ALWAYS been a loser. It was only a matter of time. He was known to be selfish as a player (thats why his 30 assist game hardly EVER gets mentioned as a great record, because unlike hockey assists , some guards try to hog the offense, like Kevin Porter) and he was selfish as a coach. As for his relationship with Ben?:
    ..........Look what he's done to my boy!(see 'The Godfather')....

goodbye, good riddance...GIVEME SOME TRAVELING MUSIC, BOYS(Take the ATrain playing in background):pound:

19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hey, Scotty Bowman wasn't liked by players. He pulled their strings all the time and played pranks on them to keep them on their toes. However, the guy has won everywhere he has coached. The player doesn't have to like the coach. The player has to respect the coach and play hard.

20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer