Bull's introduce Wallace

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

2. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

read mitch albom's column in the freep today.. i couldn't have said it better myself..and remember the league is changing so read that article too.

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Skiles was a great FT shooter. I wonder if he'll do for Ben what no other coach could do.

4. linwood

linwood All-Star

I wish Ben was still here. But, since he isn't... I think the Chicago-Detroit games are going to be awesome. I've got the popcorn ready.

5. max

max All-Star

Yes that old rivaly is definetly back now at full force now.

For a guy who claimed to identify so well with the Piston fans, I doubt Ben knows just what going to Chicago really means.

6. booggerg

booggerg First Round Draft Pick

What the freak!?! I thought Ben said he won't wear the #3 in chicago?

[​IMG]

7. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Boogerg, I could have done without that picture. I've been avoiding ESPN all day to not have to see Ben smiling about being a Bull. :frusty:

8. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I agree. That picture is so depressing I can't stand to look at it.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

I just don't buy it. People have pointed out Ben's deficiencies over and over again with stats, charts and figures. We've typed endlessly about "intangibles" and leadership.

I watched Ben play in Detroit for the last 6 years. Nearly every game. The dude brings something that lifts teams up. His 4th quarter heroics are legend in the Linwood house.

The Pistons can survive without Ben. But make no mistake... the "going to work" Pistons are gone. The "going to work" Bulls have begun.

Dammit!:mad:

Should be some good games.

11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

That picture is what a lot of us have been saying. Very bad news. Let the Piston PR machine and the journalists put a good light on it. I have seen that here when Shaq left. Oh, we still have Kobe some people said. Real Laker fans were thinking "lottery team."

With the Pistons, we our still a good team. But we were not just good, we were dominant. We put fear in people.

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

According to Eddie Johnson:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"...although Antonio McDyess is not Ben Wallace, he is a capable defender and a much better scorer."

I'll give him the much better scorer part, but to say that Dice is a capable defender just isn't right.

I watched the games this season. Dice picked up fouls just for looking at guys. And, he really seems to buy the fake every time. Ben has impeccable defensive timing.

I hope the guy is right and I am wrong. But I just ain't feeling it yet. I think the Pistons are undergoing a serious identity change, and I for one don't like it.

Not yet anyway.

[/FONT]

13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know we've talked about that height thing, but anyone notice that Ben isn't much taller than Skiles? Being smaller than Shaq is one thing, but being not much bigger than Skiles and Paxson is another.

Frame of reference is very important.

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Am I the only person who thinks that Ben will look bad ass in the red and black of the Bulls?

Stylistically, this was a solid move for Ben.

15. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

That pic is eerie. Just doesn't seem right. Kinda like when I saw Joe Montana in a Chiefs jersey for the first time. There is obviously a disturbance in the force. Did Ben just cross over to the darkside?

I dunno if I'll ever look at that guy and not think Detroit Pistons. It's really hard not to root for that dude, but he is the enemy now so I will regrettably have to acknowledge him as the leader of a rivaled team that is determined to take our spot this year. :mmph:

Alonzo Mourning has already mentioned that he sees the Heat's real competition as being Chicago and New Jersey. He thinks that Ben does all the Pistons's dirtywork and that we will undeniably take a step back with his departure.

The disrepect has already begun. If the Pistons needed motivation, they sure to hell have it now!

16. MotownPride

yes. :P

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm telling you guys right now that the Bulls won't be that great. Ben is living off us. Sure he did good without Sheed and Tay in the froncourt, but that was when his game didn't start getting worse.

Ben to me had 2 of the best froncourt partners could ask for. If the Pistons lost last year in the ECF I predict the Bulls losing in the first or second round.

I somewhat hope the Bulls beat us in the regular season. I have a feeling we're going to cream them though. I would much rather have the Bulls bandwagon be more heavy. I think it would make us all feel better if the Pistons creamed the Bulls.

18. MotownPride

No way Ben doesn't perform well in Chicago. You can't teach heart. With all the questions of his worth you will find the most motivated Ben Wallace you've seen in years. Criticize Ben all you want, but one think you can never accuse him of is not showing effort. Besides, I would tend to say that the play of Ben Wallace acutally made Tay and Sheed look better defensively as well. It's a two way street. Check out some video from Ben last year. Look at all the aggressive rebounds he chases down, the incredible blocks, the challenging of every shot that comes into the paint, the entry pass deflections, the offensive boards, the offensive charges...all that adds up. As Pistons fans we've been spoiled to think that these hustle plays are the norm in the NBA. They are not.

Make no mistake about it, Chicago will be better. This year we will see Chicago doing all the things that we did to be successful in the past. Ben's effort can be contagious when you have a coaching staff that buys into a defensive philosphy. Ben becomes that team's leader, something he loss in Detroit with Flip's hiring. Ben is simply a better fit in Chicago and if we don't get our act together we will make the same mistake we did last year, underestimating the competition. We need to assume Chicago is going to be awesome and go at them with wreckless abandon. Chicago is hungry and they believe in their system. From where I stand, that already gives them a distinct advantage over us before we even lace up.

19. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Great post Motown. The Bulls are bringing in Ben for his DPOY game and for his effect on his teammates. He is absolutely up to the task. You will see a very intense Bulls team next year.

A whole lot of Pistons DNA just skipped town.

20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Mourning is stating what everyone outside of Detroit believes: the Pistons have lost their elite status. People won't fear us anymore. Yes, we will be a good team but not that distinguishable from other "good" teams.

The Bulls are not going to be as good as they think. Ben needs help. I thought the Bulls were overated last year. But it is not the Bulls that I care about. Our Pistons have taken a hit. Miami gets a free ride this year and that is not good news.

Linwood, right, suddenly everyone is so good and will make up for Ben. The NBA only rarely works that way.