1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

By the Numbers?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jun 28, 2009.

1. max

max All-Star

Right now we have a projected 19 mil to spend under the shrinking soft cap.

What if we would not have traded Billups/Dyess and later Amir?

Add in his 12 mil + 4 mil for Dyess + 2 mil that would not have been saved by trading Amir. So that leaves 1 mil under the cap.

1 mil under the cap with a frontline of Dyess, Kwame, Amir, Maxiel, and whoever we would have drafted. May not have been Day because Dumars would have had to find someone who could play 20 MPG right now like that undersized Maxiel clone that Chicago drafted.

1 mil under the cap and a terrible frontcourt with no resources to rebuild it other than the MLE.

Makes you think. At least we would have had the PG spot covered for another year or 2.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Excellent points Max, ... with an older PG this doesn't look like a promising future... definately puts in perspect the need to make "the trade".
    We may be in the lotto this year... but at least there's some hope moving forward.

I still think trades will be a better use for the wiggle room vs spending it all on FAs.

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I guess if you look at it this way it really does paint a picture of what Joe has been trying to do when trading Chauncey.

4. max

max All-Star

It really was a brilliant move as far as cap space is concerned. Not only CB but Dyess was dumped and re-signed. Plus throw in Samb, round it up by the 10% rule ( salaries have to match to within 10% in a trade ) and there you go.

Ironically enough when all the dust settled we are actually left with roughly what AI's expiring contract was to spend - 19 mil.

Then again some argue that we could have won the ship last year if not for that trade.

5. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Maybe somebody who is better with numbers can explain to me why we only have 19 mil in cap space? Doesn't Rasheed come off the books too and isn't that an additional 12 or 13 million?

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Rip, Maxiell resigning and the CB trade were done in conjunction. So, without the CB trade, maybe we would not have resigned Rip, Max, or Kwame.

We would have about $20M from those 3 + Sheed's expiring + Dyess's small expiring.

We'd be looking at:

Billups/ Bynum
    Stuckey/ Afflalo
    Prince/ Daye/ Sharpe/ Summers/ Jerebko
    Boozer??/ Amir
    Okur??/ Plaisted

Would also have a lot more momentum riding into next season and it might be easier to attract players.

8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

We had already signed Kwame to a contract that included a player option, not a team option, and Dice's original contract would not have expired until next year.

I don't believe Rips extension has kicked in yet, meaning that we would have still been on the hook for his contract this summer as well, even if Joe didn't work out an extension with his agent.

Seeing as how you're dropping Max, but keeping Amir, the original money calculation max arrived to would still be what we would have available this summer to spend.

That is, not much of anything for this summer. No shot at Boozer, Okur, Hedo, Gordon, David Lee, or anybody that isn't willing to settle for our MLE.

9. max

max All-Star

I do believe Rip's original contract was through 2010. Someone had to be traded for an expiring contract to have this kind of cap space. As it stands 3 players were moved for a 19 mil expiring contract. Was there anyone else out there with that large of a contract who wanted some of our other guys? That was probably the only deal out there for that.

I can't fault him for extending Maxiel - he did have a good year in 07/08.

10. rip_city

rip_city First Round Draft Pick

you make great points Max and I agree with you...some of my friends complained about the CB trade but I kept telling them is was mainly to set up cap space to rebuild and we were still able to be competitive. Also why keep a team that cant get past the ECF??? I meen last time I checked everyone plays for a CHAMPIONSHIP not to play in the ECF.

11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Course the other way to look at it is that the Pistons could have gotten hot at the right time and maybe there is another banner flying in the Palace. The Celtics were ripe for the taking and then there is Orlando.

Sheed and Herrmann come off the books and Dumars could still have traded Amir if he had wanted opening up a nice chunk of change to bring in a front court player.

Likely? I'd guess just as likely as 2004.

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

So all you cap space proponents are saying that Billups was worth nothing more than an expiring contract? That's all they could get for him?

13. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

Well, we did get a square peg of a future HOFmer in return... Only trouble was, the team was all using round pegs and the coach simply was clueless.

14. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

But if you can't get to the ECF's you can't play for a Championship.

If you have a team that you KNOW will get you to the ECF's you have a chance at a Championship. Anything could happen when you get that far.

15. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Isn't that what we got for Amir?