C.J. McCollum

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 18, 2013.

1. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Another good story on McCollum and some nice quotes from his coaches. His character should put him on Joe's radar at least.
    I wonder if he hadn't broken his foot he would be in the top 5 prospects and out of reach. The 5th metatarsal isn't anything to worry about. Smallest bone of the 5. Like breaking your pinkie. Bones heal stronger than before. I'm not worried about that.

High spot in draft next chapter in McCollum's storybook climb | NBA.com

In Lehigh's system, McCollum got to handle the ball and facilitate, expertly running the pick-and-roll and always mindful of whether a teammate had a better shot than him.

"I don't see the term 'combo guard' as a negative," Reed said (LeHigh coach). "He has the vision and he has the feel. He can create for other people. His handle is strong... he can covert for himself and others as the shot clock is winding down."

2. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

NO MORE COMBO GUARDS
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Panda,
    He's just a shooting guard that can dribble and pass. :wedgie:
    The Panda likes this.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe loves combo guards perhaps because he was one.
  5. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

I still like him. A lot.
  6. The Panda

He is a slightly better college version of Brandon Knight. If we go the scoring PG route, he could be a winner.
  7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Nothing wrong with a combo. However, one must understand and adapt the asking role:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."
    Through the Looking Glass.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  8. pass99

Go ask Alice.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

A combo guard is great.... BUT they have to be good at either the PG or SG, not iffy at both like Stuckey has been.
  10. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As far as I can tell, he has great handles but also has a great shot. Nothing wrong with that. Evan Turner has been recently discussed as a FA, but this kid sounds like a better version and much cheaper. To just say no to all future PG/SG because of past mistakes in this position is as short-sighted as saying no more Euro's because of Darko.

Plenty of examples in this video of things I've never seen Stuckey or Knight do.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey is a combo of everything:

Handles: SG
    Shooting: PF
    Finishing ability: SG
    Leadership: bench C
    Passing: SG
    Mindset: SF
    Defense: PG
    Smoooth and coynejeremy like this.
  12. Slippy

The dude has outstanding character by all accounts. Joe will have a tough time passing on him. I can see Oladipo ahead of him. We flushed millions down the drain on Ben Gordon. This kid has the potential to spread the floor and knock down shots. It kind of depends on the coach though.
  13. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

That's the difference between a combo guard and a tweener. Joe was a great combo guard. He was a Hall of Fame SG, who could play the point. He was a good PG. Stuckey is a classic tweener. He can't shoot well enough for the 2, and doesn't have the vision for the 1. He's not a man who can play multiple positions. He's a man without a position. That doesn't mean Stuckey couldn't have a role on a good team. That role just wouldn't be at a traditional position.

McCollum looks like a pure SG, who might be able to learn the point. I'll take that.
    The Panda and Slippy like this.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

EXACTLY! A SG who can play the Point is cool; a PG who can move over to the 2 is cool.....but a guy who's not a 1 or 2 because they're really not good at either position (see Rodney Stuckey AND Brandon Knight) is just bad news.
  15. The Panda

The idea of combo guards is to have a positionless frontcourt. It is really helpful for switches on defense and for running a short playlist without the other team picking up on what you are doing too quickly.

McCollum seems a bit small to be a true shooting guard. I'd like us to chase Kyle Korver.
  16. Slippy

Seems like a bright kid.
  17. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I'll take him.
  18. pass99

What? Have you seen this guy's jump shot? What might bring him down for JD is that he has a coherent thought process and actually can articulate it.
    Whoops, I have now thought of another Piston player that had those same qualities: Tay. Then, again, he had a rather large career under JD. But, of course, JD had much lower expectations back then and less of a current history "dark corner" projects, grown sloppy...with agreeing, with all those who agreed with him.
  19. pass99

No, they have to be good at both. CB learned that the occasion will always present itself. Having learned the battle scars of both flirtations, he found the right time and team to express it. Scars, are never tattoos, because they are not obvious selections of the frivolous.
  20. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

I think I have come around to your way of thinking blue. Assuming the higher targets are off the board CJ seems like the the much better prospect than Muhammad and some of the others in that range.
    blueadams and linwood like this.