Casey Printers, Lions QB?

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by roscoe36, Jan 3, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Casey Printers, the CFL 2004 Most Outstanding Player (CFL version of MVP) has completed touring 5 NFL teams. I know a bit about his CFL career, as his squad is the team I follow, the B.C. Lions. He tried out for the Lions at their Allen Park facility recently.

Here is some info.

http://www.casey-printers.com/

http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module=roster&func=display&ros_id=273

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/Statistics.asp?season=2004

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060101/SPORTS0101/601010304/1031/METRO

All I have to say is, Printers played for the same CFL Coach (Wally Buono) that coached Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia. He's been trained properly.

Discuss.
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Sorry, I'm a little verklempt.

Is he at the end of a contract? If not, do you know how cross-league deals work? Or is it not a concern worth mentioning?

LT is one of my favorites and plays for my adopted pro football team. I don't know much about Printer, but if he has his crap together as well as LT...I'm all for it. It'd be nice to get a QB who's main concern is getting a 1st down after two plays.
  3. roscoe36

He's in an option year or a restricted free agent.

In the meantime, he's able to look for employment elsewhere.

That's how I understand it. The deadline for someone to sign him is Jan 15th I believe.

Grabbing this cat could be a great move. I like his game. It's not like the Lions can afford to bring in another vet to undermine Joey. Any vet who comes here, and is decent, will be trying to win the starting job and immediately become Dre Bly's best friend.
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Dre's aways been a keen judge of QB talent ;)

Bringing in a rook would undermine Joey
  5. roscoe36

Bringing in anyone would undermine Joey at this point. Bringing in a young guy that Joey feels has the edge on salary wise, experience wise etc, bodes well for him.

If Printers jumps to the NFL, I doubt he makes more than $1 million a year, or 1/4 of what Joey will make before his roster bonus kicks in (another $4 million).

Anyway, I'm watching this anxiously, because if CP returns to the CFL I am just as happy. At least in BC he will play.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

He would play here in a heartbeat...nomojoey...no matter what
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

WOW! Forget Casey Printers, I just finished watching the Rose Bowl.

The Lions need VINCE YOUNG!!!!! I've NEVER seen a better clutch performance that that. The guy was completely unstoppable.

He's a bigger, more durable, and more accurate Michael Vick.

I hardly watch any college ball, but that game was insane.

The Lions need to pull a Mike Ditka and trade their entire year's draft picks for the #1 pick. Forget Reggie Bush, Vince Young is the man!
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think the Lions blew their chance at Vince Young (my choice also)... they needed to lose the Saints game.
    It didn't help that young blew up in the biggest stage.
    He won't go past the 3rd pick...
    Our only chance is to trade up...
    Our #1, Joey, & and overrated WR anyone?
  9. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

It doesn't matter how good Young is if we move up this organization would ruin him ala Ware.He might not come out they say he isn't sure but if he does agree that he won't go past 3.

Having the same coach aside from the other 2 do you think Printers could push whoever is the starter or take the spot in a NFL atmosphere?
    Especially here.I don't watch CFL and I ain't downplaying it I know it has diff field measurements and rules Flutie,Moon and Garcia were good how much better is he compared in your opinion?If signed can he help take us to the promised land?Or is his greatness only cuz he's in Canada?:smow:
  10. roscoe36

I think he could push a starter, I can't say for sure that he will be able to pick up the NFL game quickly if forced to start early. He needs a little time to learn personnel, watch film, but he won't need 4 years... :P

The CFL is a different game, but the one position both leagues get close on is QB.

Flutie was a living legend up here. He won everywhere he went. He was the most dominant player in the 90s (and he missed the last 4 years of that decade).

Garcia was like Printers, a little older at the time but took over for Flutie and never looked back. Garcia was considered a top 2 QB in a QB driven league.

Printers is young. And maybe Printers is YOUNG. ;) He's worth taking a small contract flyer on a 2 year deal at 800,00 a year or something of that manner.

And I say he is YOUNG, because he is part of that breed of mobile, strong armed athletic QB like McNair, Vince Young, Michael Vick etc. I'm not suggesting he is anywhere near the talent they are, but he has all of the same tools, and in 2 years up north, has shown the same type of game.

Every CFL QB has mobility. There are no pocket passers. If you hang in the pocket, you will get smashed. Some are kinda mobile (like Garcia now), and some like Damon Allen (Marcus Allen's little brother), Printers, Henry Burris (former Chicago Bear) can threaten with their legs.

If you like football, it's worth catching a CFL game on TV sometime. It is different, but highly entertaining. Less gimicky than Arena Football. 3 downs, shorter play clock, tons of motion and a wider field with deeper endzones.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hey, if this cat is all that and a bag of chips why would he settle for $1 mil. CFL MVP. How many years does he have under his belt? If he has 3 or 4 years exp. he can tell all these NFL losers to take a hike.[ I didn't go into his site, too much delay]
  12. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

According to the Freep today Printers narrowed his choices to the Lions and the Chiefs.So we shall see.
  13. roscoe36

I would be excited to see him in the NFL period. The Lions just means I will be able to follow him closely. He'll give Joey a run for his money. Provided of course we aren't still playing the wet toast offense.
  14. jammertime

Careful Micro, you're starting to sound like Mike O'Hara.
    :laugh:

I wouldn't mind seeing Printers in a Detroit Lions uniform next season. But I also think Harrington should be retained. I'd love to see a a fair QB competition for the starting job. Throw previous accomplishments and favourites out the window, let the performance on the field be the ONLY factor.

May the best player win.
  15. roscoe36

Casey is a Chief for 3 years

http://tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=150333

Great job Matt. Obviously KC sees the value of this guy, too bad Detroit could not.

I'm very disappointed in the Lions and their promise to do what it takes to be better. You can't let cheap talent like this slip through your fingers.

Back to Harrington...
  16. jammertime

Yeah, I saw that. Thanks a lot Micro for getting my hopes up!!! :laugh: This is the Lions we were talking about after all.

I didn't realize he was only 24. Why do I get the feeling the Lions missed a great opportunity here? Oh, I know why. Because the Lions ALWAYS miss a great opportunity.
  17. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

They better draft DJ Shockley in the third or fourth round. I am going on record to say this guy will be the surprise of the draft!
  18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Matt has never failed...to disappoint :P

If WCF is going to can him, he seems to be putting it off until after the Super Bowl. Yet another Ford conservative F'up.
  19. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

It may have not been the Lions choice. I mean, really, with the uncertainty of coming to the NFL from the CFL, do you think the guy would really want the added uncertainty of playing for the Lions?

I was afraid this would happen. With the total lack of anything good happening in the organization, the Lions have become a place where players just don't want to play. With all of the national media attention around the booing of the quarterbacks and the "fire Millen" stuff, we're going to have a hard time getting anyone but draft picks to come here.