1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

CB and Dice for AI

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Delfino Delivers, Nov 3, 2008.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Shades of 2001 when Pistons were about to get AI and then Matt Gieger vetoed it.

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

They were going to release Dice anyway.

Let him retire.

Have a nice life, slow legs.

I don't see how this is a "snag".

3. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

We waited all year for THIS?

Not the deal I expected. I can't see how this will make us a better team. Not a knock on AI but we're giving up a top 10 PG for an undersized SG. I assume AI will run the point and create a gaurd rotation of AI, RIP, Stuck and AA. Not bad but the biggest things about the trade I don't like is losing Dice. I thought he was a solid piece off our bench. I agree that Walter's "emergence" (can you call it that after just two games?) helped Joe make this move.

I'm conflicted.

:gaah:

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If Dyess can't be resigned, does anyone know if it's possible to get Trent Plaisted back from Italy? This move is risky, Big Trent and Samb gave DET a chance to have the best backcourt in the L in 2012.

5. Tha Locstah

It would've made more sense THEN. But who knows, without CB1 we may not have had that 'ship. And I know it was only one but it was soooooooo sweet! Is it sad that I feel I'm hungrier for another than the actual players? Maybe AI will bring back that sense of urgency and motivate Sheed.

6. Tha Locstah

EXCELLENT POST! The only thing is Samb will be dominating the bigs in DEN. :mmph:

7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

There must be something else brewing, if not Joe D has lost it.

8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

S.B. Just updated

9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

After listening to Ric Bucher, it sounds like they may play Stuckey at Point, A.I. at the 2 and move Rip to the 3.

Tayshaun would then come off the bench as the backup 2/3, which would eliminate our need to use that slow footed Herrmann guy.

10. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

When I purchased this years subscription to NBA League Pass to see the Pistons last night, I had no idea this would happen.

I know one thing, it will probably be more fun to watch the new "perpetual motion backcourt" of Rip and AI, than the "lull you to sleep, light switch play" of CB. I wouldn't mind seeing this go through.

11. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

This is unbelievable! I don't understand why Joe would do this. AI is a ballhog till the day he dies. He has no sense in team. I'm going to be watching pretty close to how he mixes in with the team. I have a couple questions that will not leave my mind at all. Who is going to lead our team and get the ball moving like it should be?? Will Rip want to leave because Chauncey is not around? How will AI relate to our team purpose? Will AI and M.C. get alone and will he listen to him? What does Sheed thinks about all of this? This is absolutely bulls**t!!! Hopefully this team won't become a flipping :falloff:!!!

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm good with the trade.

The core wasn't getting it done and wasn't going to do it this year...despite the coaching upgrade.

Joe respected CB's desire to end his career at home.

13. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

A lot of posters here are thinking ahead for signing big name free agents in 2010. Just remember this isn't a video game. Joe D wants youth to eventually replace older players. The core was never a one man show, and I believe Joe D is still in that philosophy.

14. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Someone write this down, "arnie kander will transform AI to his old form."

15. daveg725

daveg725 First Round Draft Pick

You cats are always talking about how you hate that CB is too passive and lackadaisical and now you are getting a player who never takes a game off and plays like he's dying tomorrow...shut up and be happy. That's what you wanted out of CB and you would've never gotten it.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Let's look at the numbers for a sec. AI still produced last year on paper and since I didn't watch many of his games, I'm not really qualified to say how much of their collective failure was his fault.

But, on paper, CB/ AI (keep in mind the minutes difference and the faster DEN tempo resulting in more possessions per min/ game).

32.3 min/ 41.8 min
    17.0 pts/ 26.4 pts
    .448fg%/ .458
    .401 3p%/ .345
    .918 ft%/ .809
    6.8 ast/ 7.1
    1.3 stl/ 2.0
    2.05 to/ 2.99
    1.7 pf/ 1.3

Overall FG% is not that different. AI's Steal to foul ratio is amazing.

But here is where we will notice the biggest difference I'm guessing.

Shot selection-
    CB: attempted 535 2-pointers, 342 3-pointers, and 437 free throws.
    AI: attempted 1,281 2-pters, 275 3-pointers, and 797 free throws.

So Chauncey's eFG is better with all of his 3 point makes, but AI's overall shooting may be better with all of his free throw chances.

Joe may have found a way to clear salary while still keeping the dream alive this season.

Just a few random comments-
    AI is used to playing major minutes. I would think we'll cut down on those with his age and our guard heavy team. Maybe he'll play better because of it with increased energy?

Maybe he really was dogging it a bit in DEN because they weren't really a contender. So, it is possible he will come out swinging.

Also, Dyess should be loving this. He's gets paid in full (or close to it) from the Den buyout and he gets the vets minimum or more from the Pistons to play out the year. If he has to sit out a month, then that just allows him to be fresher deeper into the season.

CB was a good Piston.

17. RupertPupkin

RupertPupkin Second Round Draft Pick

This could be a huge blessing in disguise for the Pistons.

REGARDLESS of what happens in the 2008-2009 season... Iverson, Wallace, and Hamilton are all unrestricted free agents.

Joe Dumars has a very very large amount of money to throw at another free agent next summer:

[​IMG]

PG: Stuckey
    SG: Bryant
    SF: Prince
    PF/C: Johnson, Maxiel, Brown, McDyess?, Other

I like it, I know you do too.

18. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

All I know is I am getting on line to find some tickets so that I can pop smoke and get on home to see AI play on the first thing smoking.

Packing my bags, putting in a leave slip, and busting a move on to the Detroit, call mom and pop and tell them I am on my way.

Okay, I have a taly going on all the naysayers who are posting with the negative opionion of AI coming to the Pistons.

Just remember who you are, and I better not catch you celebrating, skinning and grinning when we are rolling down Woodward avenue. :burgereater::rolleyes: LOL.

I just love you guys.

19. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Even if Denver does release Dice, we wouldn't be able to get him back right away. I don't think that'll be a huge issue though, it'll give the big fella some rest, he is a notoriously slow starter anyway.

If we can get him back in a month or so, he should be peaking by playoff time and well rested.

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this might be financially good for me...perhaps i should increase the price of my boston tix for 11/9 on stubhub :)