CB and Dice for AI

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Delfino Delivers, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Sorry, but it'd be nice to make a trade like that for a player who isn't OLDER than the one we just gave up. If Joe is going to throw in the towel to make a push for whoever during free agency, I wish he would just admit it.

2. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

AI is a rental, like sheed in 04', if he gets it done your re sign him.

What's better 3 years of old Chauncey and pressed up against the cap, or $ flexibility and probably the 1 good/great year AI has left.

Billups and Dyess are my 2 fav pistons (not named Amir) and even I am for this trade.

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

It's not like the window is open that much wider for Chauncey and Rasheed, so either way, we're looking at the last big push for this group of guys.

If Antonio comes back this was basically AI for Chauncey straight up.

If it's the playoffs and you need two points, who would you rather have the ball in their hands? Billups or Iverson?

AI brings late game superstar clout to this team that they haven't had since Zeke. The refs had zero respect for Billups driving to the basket in comparison to Iverson.

4. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I don't understand why everyone is upset with this trade. This trade is amazing and if it goes down it has a great chance of being "the trade" that kept the pistons competitive for another 5, 6 or even 7 years. THIS IS A STEAL! Denver is stupid for making this trade. I can't believe they are actually doing this.

Why?

Simple, becuase AI is a 20 million dollar player he will essentially become a rent a player in hope for a one year championship. Even if we don't win it doesn't matter. 20 million is coming off the books (plus with Sheeds contract it is about 34ish if I'm correct). That is enough money to sign two superstar/borderline superstar players.

You guys really think we would have won this year as constructed? No, not a chance. And after this year it would continue to get worse as Billups gets older and still eats up 10 million a year in cap space. This trade is the kind of trade that keeps you competitive for another run. Mark my words if this trade goes down it will be "the trade" that will keep the pistons on the championship hunt not only for this year but for the future.

5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Lets just BREATHE and get straight to the points:

1. If Wilt chamberlain, Wayne Gretzky, Kareem AbdulJabbar, Shaquille ONeal, and Babe RUTH can be traded: Trading Cbillups dont mean crap to me. Thanks for 2004 and dont let the door hit ya...blh blh split ya!

2. I promise you this right NOW!!!!
    DWAYNE WADE WILL BE A DETROIT PISTON. The winds of change has already swung in Miami..A TERRIBLE BASKETBALL TOWN...and sets up a STUCKEY/WADE backcourt that wont be challenged in the East.

3. Dice and Billups looked so damn slow in the first two games and at least this will be an interesting look for this year. Billups had 5 fast break opps vs Wizards and couldnt get past the free throw line. And sadly, I think he's lost his heart to win. I think AI 'still' wants it, even if thats JUST the ECFINALS.

4. WHO's NEXT? I see NO WAY that Rip and Iverson can play in the same court unless Rip will start doing more one on one moves, not his strength. Do we trade PRINCE after a Gold Medal Season? More value ? Yes...But I dont know. He got 33pointed by Danny granger and hasnt 'progressed' in the last three years.

5. Secretly, SHEED will LOVE this. This means less shots for him (which in this case Sheeds loves) in the clutch and AI will penetrate, dive for loose balls and deflect attention from Sheed's ferocity.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE CAP!!Cap room in the NBA is liking finding out the 'real' love of your life just broke up with their mate!!! There will be at least 25-30 mill available for the year of the big boys.....And Joe D's rep is strong. A FREEKIN AWARD is named after him AND HE AINT EVEN DEAD!!!!!

BREATHE PEOPLE..........and just watch....

luv,
    the Old One

6. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I agree. With Joe Dumars name we will land a good free agent(s). Joe Dumars is a genius and he does it again.

7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

My guess is that Wade would prefer to play in Chicago, since he's from there, and Derrick Rose will probably be really damn good. Though I guess it'll depend at least in part on how much Rose can show signs of reaching his potential.

8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    So, looks like the trade was finalized, at least on ESPN.com.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Curse of the Bambino? That trade didn't work out so well for the Sox.

But I feel the same way. I love Billups' game, but we're not getting fleeced here. Getting Dyess back tips it in our favor.

10. starwar2138

starwar2138 First Round Draft Pick

GOODBYE, GOODBYE AND DONT CRY WE R A BETTER TEAM NOW WITH AI CB DONT LETS DOOR NOB HIT YOU WHERE THE GOOD LORD SLIP YOU

11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Dont care if we get Dyess back or not(see Culpepper) unless we use Dice ala Elden Campbell, Hunter, Ratliff and give him about 10 inactives
    until March. I want to see Jmax(new signee) and Amir get the minutes, run the floor and be a TWO HEADED monster that has passed Dyess by.

12. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

We won't have Dyess for 30 days guys.

13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

The Pistons always wanted AI, I remembver after the Pistons took out the 76ers a few years ago, AI said he would love to play with those guys, meaning the Pistons of course.

I am split on this trade after thinking about it for a while. A backcourt of AA and AI could give some teams fits, both offensively and definsively, throw in some Stuckey and Rip and that`s a four guard rotation that is scary.

However, it`s our frontcourt that needs improvement right now IMO. So, does this trade really make the Pistons better, NOW? Or is this simply a move to improve the team in the future as some have suggested.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Doesn't matter. We'll be > .500 when he comes back.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We are not only getting Dice back, but we are cutting his salary burden for next year too. Even if we sign him for 2 years, it will be much lower than what is currently on the books.

He was a starter last year and is still better than Amir in most ways. Dyess proved to be a very tough player on the boards last year. He's an ideal veteran big man.

16. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Did anyone write it down?

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just wrote down, "this".

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know if you can sign for the vets minimum for more than a year. I have nothing to base that on other than I don't recall it being done.

Any chance Dyess signs with BOS to replace PJ Brown?

I'm excited now. The chances of them turning things around as a group were pretty slim as people have pointed out.

19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Does anyone else think that Joe looked at CB as the main (or one of the) main culprit of the flip-the-switch culture?

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I kind of like the trade until I heard we were getting Dyess back. But at least we will have time to get something else established up front before Dyess gets back here over a month from now. Then he will actually have to earn minutes for a change.

Going into the season, it was telling that Dyess was thinking that he would get the Hunter treatment from last season - play very little to start the season and then start being a part of things near and in the playoffs. It surprised him that Curry and Dumars were expecting him to play a big part in this years rotation. Well, obviously, Dyess has turned out to be right in the first place.

Although I like Billups tons, AI just might fit our starting unit better. Think about what just happened!!! - Three of the other 4 guys in the starting unit, Rip, Tay, and Amir, can run very well down the floor. You don't really expect your center to be part of fast breaks as much, but even Sheed can get down the floor for a fast break ok. And then you had Billups, consistently anchoring the starting unit. I mean in a bad way. On a fast break, he was often the parachute on the dragster that brought everything to a halt.

In sum, what did we get - a faster starting unit which should score a lot more fast break points. A guy, in Iverson, who will get to the basket a lot with his quickness. And substract one slow defender from the team in Dyess.

Yeah, you do lose a lot too. Billups did a lot of things well. But in all, this could be a good trade for us.

PS-not getting superstar calls is something we now will hear other fans from other teams moaning about.

One more thought - AI is not that good a defender. But since Dyess won't be not backing him up, it won't be so bad. Of course, we got to rethink this Herrmann thing. Herrmann is not going to work either as someone to move over and stop the guy that bulled his way past AI.