Celtic Collapse

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The Celtics roster would have been pretty stacked if they had pulled that off. Tay would be Pierce's backup.
  2. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Right?? That's exactly what I was thinking. When I read this it reminded me of the guy who sends random trade offers in fantasy sports that's so lopsided you have to wonder what he's smoking.....
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Are people really bashing Ainge for trying to strengthen and refurbish his team for another run instead of running the same group out there for the next 5 years?
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ainge didn't do anything. It was a low level assistant who was trying to make their team better.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Which is basically what the Celts did the year before they won their title.

I think we now see that the scorched earth approach is only good for a season or two. The attraction in 2010 is that many of the free agents are just entering their prime, but it's still very risky to try to build a super team by starting with what is essentially a blank slate.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

And this really isn't any different than tanking for the #1 pick in the draft. If that fails as it did for BOS in the Durant/Oden year then you're in trouble (unless you’re BOS).

If this trade went through the Pistons would still have their cap room, correct?

There is no chance of the rolling with a team of Boozer, Gordon, Plaisted, Rondo, Allen (3pt shooting they currently lack) and whatever else?

Allen leaving would put them at or under the cap the following year? If it is under then they still have a chance to add to the team in 2010 although I presume that they need to re-up Rondo at some point.

Am I off base that this shapes up better than almost any scenario available to them that isn't a pipe dream?
  7. roscoe36

When you stick Plaisted in there, I'm suddenly seeing all sorts of good things...
  8. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

I hate saying this especially knowing I am the minority here, but I would probably just go for it. I would try and remove Stuckey from the deal or at least get a 1st round draft pick back, but if I couldn't big deal. As of right now it doesn't look like there are many takers for our good but overvalued players.

I know Tay and Rip are solid, and borderline allstar players, but lets be realistic Rip is a 2 guard that only shoots mid-range jumpers, and requires a specific type of offense where everyone sets screens for him. Also didn't Rip just signed a really long contract that most of us feel we shouldn't of signed him to. And Tay is great 3 but he is in a conference with phenomenal physical 3's that abuse him when it matters.

If we don't do a deal like this our lineup next year will look something like

Stuckey / Bynum
    Rip / Gordon / Affallo
    Tay / Sharpe / Draft Pick
    Millsap / Amir / Max
    Mullens / Plaisted

Is that really that much better than (especially when you factor in the extra cap space next year)

Rondo / Bynum
    Jesus Shuttlesworth / Affallo
    Ariza / Sharpe / Draft pick
    Amir / Max
    Mullens / Plaisted

If we did this deal there would be no way that Curry wouldn't play all of these young guys on our team that I keep hearing are studs (Amir, Max, Affalo, Bynum, and to a much lesser extent Sharpe). At least we would finally see what these guys we drafted can do
  9. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

Boston is shopping Rondo to Detroit (and the Suns and the Kings) because they know that Rondo's perceived value is way higher than his actual value. Rondo is garbage! Boston knows it. If Rondo was the great young PG that everyone seems to think he is, then why would Boston ever get rid of him? You trade away wing players. You never trade away PGs or Cs. They are too hard to find.
  10. SonicD 43

Yes Rondo is overrated, but he only makes 2.6 mil, and is a PG. We do not have a PG, and having a PG who can't shoot is much better than forcing a SG who can't shoot to be a PG. The reason he is being shopped is that KG and his other teammates do not like him. There has been a few reports this summer about the fact that he is cocky and his teammates don't like him. I say you give him a year, if he works out great, if not you trade him away. He will make 3.6 mil in (2010/11) the last year of his contract and would be very easy to trade at that point in time.

Besides its not like we've never traded away an allstar PG either.
  11. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

We don't need another head case in this team. A season of AI...is enough.

But if I knew Lebron James was going to come to this team, SIGN ME UP. More cap space for Bosh or other pieces!

But I glad Joe didn't accept.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Am I correct though that the Pistons would theoretically have Allen and Rondo's salary to work with next offseason even if they signed people this year as long as they do not exceed the cap?
  13. roscoe36

You gotta slow that one down for me Ernie.
  14. SonicD 43

Allens but not Rondo's. Allens is worth about 19 mil and Rondo is on contract through a qualifying offer through 2010/11
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

By trading Rip, Tay and Stuckey for Allen and Rondo the Pistons maintain their cap space this year because the salaries match. They could make this trade if they were over the cap, yes?

This allows them to sign (for the sake of argument) Boozer, Plaisted and Gordon this year which again for the sake of the argument will take them up to the salary cap this year.

After next season Allen and Rondo come off the books which would give them their combined salaries to be used to sign new players.

Are those 3 statements correct?
  16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Basically, that offer is a starter. I'd trade RIP and Tay for Rondo and Allen; Pistons should be able to resign Rondo plus a huge FA off the '10 class since Allen's contract will run out... plus, Stuckey alongside Rondo would make up a great backcourt for years to come. Add a great big via free agency plus some role players and this team could be rebuilt sooner as many expected.
  17. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Although they would be missing a floor general that trade would put Boston at the top..

Stuckey/House
    Hamilton/T. Allen
    Pierce/Prince
    KG/Davis/Powe
    Perkins/Scalabrine

And Detroit at the bottom.

Hopefully we can make this work with another team. I would hate to see another salary dump and starting from scratch.
  18. roscoe36

At first and second glance, that looks correct.

There may be some small snags, but I think your reasoning is sound.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder how much more productive Prince can be if he's only expected to play 10-15 minutes a game.
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

There was a good article On Rondo's attitude and personal 'issues' in SI. The Celtics must be kwayzee or Ainge is still on his recovery meds!