Celtics forum about Darko

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Sep 7, 2005.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

New NBDL

Thats what it looks like during a practice with the Celtics. They are a good 2 years away from respectiblilty with their youth movement. The fact that think they have a chance at Darko is laughable. So my advice for them is to continue to simmer on the fact that they allowed Sheed to come to us for free. There will be no retribution coming this way. :)
  3. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I would rather we be in our postion than to be in theirs.
  4. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Didn't the Celtics get the first-rounder that became Tony Allen in the Sheed deal? I always believed that pick would be worth something in such a guard-rich draft, and Allen has certainly proved it. The Cs got good value.
  5. MotownPride

Good Point.

Allen is a great defender that has drawn many comparisons to Artest. But....Ainge assisted in creating a potential powerhouse dynasty in exchange for potential. I think we still come up far ahead with a championship already in the books. But I guess only time will tell.
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I'm not a big fan of Ainge's, but he did a good job in that case. When your team is old, expensive and unathletic, you can't worry about making another team better. He swallowed his pride and enabled someone else to make the flashy deal, but he got a good role player.

Seems like the problem with a lot of the poorer GMs (or teams) in the league is that they want to solve all their problems in one deal. Either they hold out for too much in exchange, or they overspend on a phony marquee player. But I like the direction the Celtics are going, though Paul Pierce's future role in it is uncertain.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

And timing. Ainge realizes his window is not now. But he's building pieces for a time when the Pistons, Heat and Pacers start their decline.

I've got a lot of respect for Ainge as a GM, and the hard decisions he makes.
  8. MotownPride

let's not get carried away...

His initial trading of Antoine Walker to pick of Raef Lafrentz and his contract...I don't know. Then to turn around and pick up another pre-madonna, Ricky Davis...I don't know. Then he follows that act by handing Sheed over to the Pistons who are in the same conference as his team....I don't know. But he HAS manuevered to draft alot of young players with potential...but then again thats never been a problem for the Clips either. Again, I think it is still waaayyyy to early to guage how well he has helped the franchise until we see his team mature. I'll give him credit though...he's definitely not afraid to look like an idiot.

Interesting enough, last year after reaquiring Antoine Walker, Boston went on an impressive run. Walker and Pierce seem to feed off eachother nicely. It will be interesting to see whats next for these guys. Somehow Pierce, got stuck into a rebuilding process when just a couple of years ago they were threatning to make some noise in the playoffs. ..and Mr. Antoine, he MUST be happy with his new arrangement.

Maybe I'm just a Boston hater in general. I've still never got over that ill-advised pass intercepted by Bird...flung to Dennis Johnson for a layup with no time on the clock. I really hate those guys! :)
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Semantics. No one is promoting that he is building a guaranteed powerhouse for the next 5 years. We're just saying that he is making (what appears to be) smart building moves. How those play out remain to be seen.
  10. MotownPride

certainly.

Agreed.
  11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

But yeah, I hate Boston too. And I live 30 miles from there, so I have to hear how snotty the Red Sox announcers are about everything in Detroit.

While we're doing all this Celtics stuff, I might as well come out of the closet and admit it: I actually like Ricky Davis. He plays hard for them, and his defense is actually good most nights. He'll always be a knucklehead, but you can tell he really loves playing basketball.
  12. aron1231

aron1231 Second Round Draft Pick

Ricky Davis

i agree... i actually like the guy. not necessarily as a person, but as a basketball player, yes.
  13. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Yes, that was a very interesting link. Not all of the posters agreed on Darko, but almost all of them had something interesting to say, and said it well.
  14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I agree. He is building a team from the ground up with solid players that are young. I am not saying he is a great GM but he is good so far at find ing pieces that fit now it is just a matter of putting the puzzle together.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Lee would be in hog heaven with all the youngsters on the C's roster.
    I agree that Ainge is waiting for the Heat and Pistons run to be over...
    but where he's messing up with all these draft picks is that their contracts will be up around the same time... he will have developed young talent and inevitably wasted some picks because they won't want to share a thin cap.
  16. MotownPride

That's what I was thinking...

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

You win the prize! :)

It will be interesting to see how that goes down. If all the youth performs well, Ainge will have some tough decisions on his hands. His best bet is to sign his talent early at a discounted rate if he really feels that confident about his youth. I think we will have a stronger idea about the potential of this team and its players as the year progresses. For some strange reason, I see Ainge with egg on his face at the end of this. ...but it could just be a severe case of "hateration". :)