Change in Concept?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I really feel like this team is only a couple of years away from coming up with a counter to teams jumping Rip's screens.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Max is right about rejecting most players based on certain flaws.... if a players has almost no flaws their team would not be willing part with them.
    It would be an interesting excercise to rate the players that we want... including contract considerations, Age, injury history and what it might take in trade.

I'm sure we can agree that the front line should be a priority (mainly the bigs)... Sure there's other needs (defensive SF for Lebron etc)... but for this purpose I'll list the PFs & Centers that may be had for the right price

Some of the players that are not likely to be moved include:
    Gasol
    Bynum
    Howard
    Dirk
    KG
    Al Jefferson
    TD
    Aldridge
    Beasley
    Yao
    Oden
    Horford

Now for the trade/F.A. targets

Centers:
    Okafor
    Kaman
    Chandler
    Dalembert
    Bogut
    Biedrins
    Haywood
    Nene
    Jermaine O’Neal
    Shaq
    Big Z
    Bogut
    Perkins
    Okur
    Brad Miller
    (right in your own player(s)

PFs:

Brand
    Jaimison
    Boozer
    Diaw
    Villanueva
    Sheed
    Josh Smith
    West
    David Lee
    Al Harrington
    Warrick
    Scola
    Dice
    Milsap
    Ty Thomas
    Haslem
    Love
    Gooden
    Randolph
    K Martin
    Yi Jianlian
    David Lee
    Amare
    Bosh
    (right in your own player(s)

Hopefully Joe sets his sights high before settling.

My Priorities (based on impact, age, contract, injuries and cost to acquire)
    Center:
    Okafor
    Perkins
    Kaman
    Bogut
    Nene
    Chandler & Dalembert (tie)

PF:
    Bosh
    Amare
    Ty Thomas
    Milsap
    Brand
    West
    Boozer

If we can get enough feedback we can see where the majorities lie.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like Bogut, but he is signed up for 5 additional years:
    $10M next year + increases of $1,050,000 per year after that.

In terms of a big man building block, this would actually be pretty good. His contract is long enough that he can come at the start of a rebuild and still be under contract when the pieces start coming together.

If Milwaukee is looking to move him, it is to get out of a long-term deal. So that means that offering Rip would work and would give them an expiring contract... and still give them a honorable mention all-star. The problem with this is that they have Michael Redd and probably can't move him ($17M next year + $18M the next).

The next best trading piece would be Tay, but he has 2 years left and would overlap with Richard Jefferson.

So, maybe the only way to make it work is to bring a 3rd team into the mix so that Milwaukee can get a replacement Center with a short-term contract (+ probably another lesser player to make the $ work), we can get Bogut (and commit to his long-term contract), and the 3rd team can unload 2 average players and get Rip or Tay.

If we could pull off something like that, we would have our Center position taken care of for the next era. This is a C who averaged a double double this season in 36 games, shot .577 from the floor, and led his team in on/off +/-. Bucks were +91 with him and -180 without him this year. He plays big and stays close to the basket.

Stuckey/ Bynum (Cheap and cheaper)
    Hamilton/ Afflalo (Expiring + dirt cheap)
    Artest/ Sharpe (FA + almost free)
    Amir/ Maxiell (reasonable + reasonable)
    Bogut/ Kwame (long term investment + servicable backup)

+ all of our picks.

Gone naturally are AI, Sheed, Dyess, Herrmann. Gone by trade is Prince. In exchange, Bogut is brought in. Also, Artest is the FA prize, which keeps $ in reserve for next year's FA market and keeps us under the cap and lean during a tough year. With this flexibility, we can continue to look for the deal of the decade to package up remaining guys for a premier PF.
  4. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

To begin with, it might be help helpful (as the White Queen remarked) of reading words of one letter.

What do we want this team to look like?

Curry mentioned he wanted an up-tempo team and JD needs youth. So lets start from there.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I want the team to be the best defensive team in the league. I think it fits well with the personality of the city and is easier to construct than an offensive powerhouse. Also, a running team isn't going to take down a title. Once we have the identiy established (like we did in 2003), then you can add offensive pieces in opportunistically.

But at the very least, we should be looking only at 2-way players. No Ben Gordon, Michael Redd, Tracy McGrady, Dirk Nowitzki, or Memo Okur. Those guys are all decent, but you pay more for an offensive player who plays average defense than you do for a defensive player who plays average offense.

Since it is all about packing the most talent under a limited cap, we have to make sure that we get a good deal on every player if possible. That means going for defense over offense on the margin, getting guys who may have an undeserved bad reputation, opportunistically trading to take advantage of desperate cash strapped teams, grabbing FA's at a time when it is a buyer's market, etc, etc. And just because you are getting good deals doesn't mean that you are getting cheap players. Getting Kobe for $17M/year would be a steal for instance (if he were up for renewal).
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not that particular on which big guys they get, I just hope they get a lot of them. Then they can just draw a line across the weak side of their play board and it should be easier for them to focus.

[​IMG]

I guess there probably will be some bargains out there, but I'm not sure they have enough cap space to keep up with the fleet of foot gazelles like Big Z, Joe Smith and Ben Wallace. They're like the second coming of The Globetrotters or the And 1 tour.
  7. max

max All-Star

Guys like Okafor, Biedrins, Kaman and Chandler are not going to give you a ton of scoring but they are high percentage scorers and are going to give you a lot of rebounds. I would be happy with any of them. Okafor would be my favorite out of that list.

I am still hoping a deal can be made for Stoudemire or Bosh and take a risk that they will re-sign. And if they don't then we get the cap space back.

Boozer would also be nice if the price were right.
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

IMO, we were a victim of our own success and the Dumars 'no superstar' approach which meant that 5 players were required to make the team successful instead of 2. That meant less parts that could be switched out. Less roles were available to new people. Look what happened when we switch out Billups. Epic Fail. At this point we have to wipe the slate clean. Roles and opportunities should be up for grabs.

I was against certain players before but now I'm open to anyone...except like Boozer :sssh:. But that's beside the point. Things gotta change.

Really, all they need is to bring positive attitude and ethics. That's kinda my line. Sean Williams need not apply.