Chauncey.."don't claim me off the waiver wire"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by basketbills, Dec 10, 2011.

1. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Maybe. But the motive for the ultimatum is to go into free agency and the ultimatum will help him achieve that, looking "weak" is largely irrelevant. He played the hand he was dealt.

Of course I'd make an offer to him if I was a contender with space. Billups said he had no interest in going somewhere to be a "mentor" on a bad team, so a team like Miami would probably be of interest to him. You can't let that happen as an opposing team.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  2. max

max All-Star

Does not seem like much has changed at all as far as restricting player movement. Superstars are still asking for trades and saying to which teams.

Per terms of the new CBA he just voted in he has to go to whichever team picked up his rights. May seems unfair on the surface how you can't always pick where you want to play but in return they get paid tons of cash. More money than a normal person could ever spend. Players sometimes seem to forget that part of the deal.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

(Disclaimer: This is not directed at anyone personally)

lol...a higher paycheck doesn't mean you should lose all ability to decide what you want to do with your life/career. Being annoyed with him because of this just sounds like jealousy to me. Talking about him just 'playing a game' removes all the actual ability and hard work that goes into being a 'professional athlete.' If it were that simplistic, YOU would also be a professional athlete. Nevermind the fact that if it weren't for 18,000 'regular joes' WILLINGLY dropping $50 a ticket to watch these 'whiners' for 82 (or 66) games a season, none of that money would be available for them to get paid this much. Generally speaking, the same people that complain that pro athletes make more than teachers are the same people who vote down local tax increases that would raise teachers' salaries.

All summer long, all I heard was complaining about how all the players are greedy SOBs with no regard for anything but their own pockets (all the while losing money by debating issues not directly related to BRI), but a guy actually says he wants to play to win and is willing to retire rather than take the money to play on a bad team and people are now jumping all over him for being a 'whiner'? Classic.

If he can't have it both ways, neither can you.

If he's in a position to decide where he works, more power to him. If your boss tried to tell you that you weren't allowed to go look for another job with a company in the same industry, you would have a rage filled field day telling him where to go. Just because Billups makes more money than you doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to exercise some choice in where he goes to work.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good to see you back around the forum, Low (even though you are wrong). :lol:
    The Low likes this.
  5. copper

copper Bench Warmer

BUT......if you sign a contract with your employer for a duration of time at a set ammount of money....guess what???? your boss can tell you where youre going and what you are gonna do. No im not jealous, but you sound envious. Yes they are pro athletes but dont try to tell me that they arent playing a game. And dont kid yourself, theres no way he retires rather than playin for a crap team. He will do what all pro athletes do and grab his cash. Man, cant believe you fell for the whole " I love this game too much, I wont go out on a bad team, I just wanna win" crap.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I'm gonna wait for someone to pull specific sentences out of Low's post and refute them.

His argument was well thought out and concise..........

Remember...quote his sentence...then offer a logical alternative view...
    coynejeremy likes this.
  7. max

max All-Star

It does if you sign a multi-year contract. No one forced CB to sign that 5 year deal he is still currently on which expires if no one picks him up.

If freedom of choice is someones priority then why not just sign 1 year contacts? Then you can go wherever you want every year. They can do this right?
  8. Nemo

Not bad Max...I'll let The Low field this one...
  9. Pwn Toney

However, Chauncey Billips is NOT under contract. He is on waivers. He is not obligated to play for anyone he doesn't want to. So, no...NO ONE has the right to tell him where he has to go (hence the decision to retire instead of go where he won't have a chance to compete). Monopoly is a game. Basketball is a sport and he's a professional.

I'd love to hear what your response is if a crap team picks him up and he subsequently retires. LOL

Gotta love that love/hate relationship that NBA fans have with players. People sit in front of the TV for an entire season clamoring to watch them play, but minute they make a decision you don't agree with, suddenly they have no character or integrity. It's easy to constantly complain that all they care about his money when you ignore the fact that they spent the 1st 16 games of this season forfeiting the very thing you said they wouldn't refuse in order to get the employment conditions they felt were fair for them.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  10. Pwn Toney

The problem is, he signed a 5 year deal with the DETROIT PISTONS. That happened clearly because DETROIT is where he wanted to play. Sure, the conditions of a professional sports league dictate that teams have the ability to trade players. But, you can't subsequently expect Billups to act like he signed a 5 year deal in NY or MILWAUKEE if he gets traded or picked up off waivers. He signed with the expectation that he would be earning that money to play for Detroit. That's the bottom line. If you had presented him a 5 year deal to play for Toronto or Sacramento, I'm sure you'd find him much less enthusiastic about committing to those teams long term.

Interesting how the 'loyalty' argument only goes one way. If Billups had decided to leave Detroit on his own, everyone would have decried his lack of integrity and loyalty. But, if you shuffle him around the league and he ends up on a team that was never in the equation when he signed his deal, people expect him to act like that's where he always wanted to be. ....not going to happen.

Besides, if you think a team that's competitive is going to allow their star players to sign one year deals every year, you're kidding yourself. The teams have just as much incentive to lock up their best players as the players do in making sure they will have a steady employment agreement in place for a couple years. Do you honestly think that the Lakers, Heat, Celtic, Bulls, Magic would actually risk losing their best players EVERY SEASON? This is not a one way street.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

12. Pwn Toney

The point is not that it's a surprise...the point is that he is actually in a position to make a choice and to act as though he has no right to exercise that right is somehow 'whining' on his part, is just not accurate. His career has gone the way that it has. It's a fact. He is not happy about it and is making a choice to either play for a contender or retire. He's being up front and honest about is intentions and teams will have to come to a decision about whether or not they can deal with that.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  13. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

True. And I'm trying to think of any past MVP's (finals or season) that have ever gone through a similar situation at the end of their career. The only other I can think of would ironically be Allen Iverson.
  14. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Ain't no disrespect to anyone of our Pistonsfans community here.

All this reactions which made us interesting how were stemmed from tradition chattel principal, no more no less.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Board is working well if we've got some passionate arguments going on. :)

Now all we need is the reappearance of 356
    The Low likes this.
  16. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We could also use some actual game-time to discuss.

You know, rotations, players in wrong positions, poor coaching, etc, etc,...
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Appearances by Woody and theLow on the same night. Life is good!
    The Low likes this.
  18. max

max All-Star

I would really love to see someone with the guts to only accept one year deals, a real player too . I wonder what their teams would do? Jordan did it for the last few years of his career with the Bulls but that was mainly to maximize his value since he could retire any year .

I never have been one to call out players for their loyalty as its business and I understand that. They can get traded and they can also pick where they want to sign. But once its signed, its a contract in law. The player trades the security of knowing he will be paid for X-years for the risk that he may end up someplace where he never wanted to be. Trades have been going on since day 1 and so have the hard feelings. Players not wanting to report to their new teams are nothing new.

This amnesty clause is something new. Is what he is doing correct? I don't know. But he did agree to the terms of the new CBA. As did Dan Gilbert and the other owners. Its not always going to go everyone's way all the time but its supposed be beneficial overall most of the time.
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

CB has always been pretty impressed with his own importance. Nothing new here.
    Walter likes this.
  20. Nemo

I'm gonna give max some points for presenting sound reasoning in his statements.