Chauncey.."don't claim me off the waiver wire"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by basketbills, Dec 10, 2011.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I kinda understand Chauncey's position.

"Amnesty is as good for those who give it as for those who receive it. It has the admirable quality of bestowing mercy on both sides." - Victor Hugo

IMO: With the Knicks utillizing the amnesty clause to rid themselves of a player that represents a sizable chunk of cap space, that player should have a bit of freedom to determine where he ends up. If Chauncey would rather retire than play for the Pacers, I don't have a problem with that. If he wants to do some posturing in the media to let his position be known, I also don't have a problem with that.
    coynejeremy and The Low like this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Buzz: Billups hoping for title frontrunner

By Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports Staff

Veteran guard Chauncey Billups is crossing his fingers in hopes he will clear waivers at 6 p.m. EST Monday to become an unrestricted free agent. If he clears waivers, a Yahoo! source says to keep an eye on the Los Angeles Lakers or Miami Heat as possible destinations.

In an interview with Yahoo! Sports, the 2004 NBA Finals Most Valuable Player warned teams that they would regret it if they claimed him off waivers. The threat included the Detroit Pistons, who he starred with from 2002-09 and won a title with seven years ago. Billups is currently in his hometown of Denver working out until he joins his new team.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm going to give dba some points for stating the obvious. (All of us have called him Mr. Big Head at one point.)
  4. max

max All-Star

I am not trying to argue against CB though, hope he passes though and gets to sign with a contender. Just should be noted that he still is going to get paid his 14.1 mil this year plus whatever he signs for now.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's what I'm saying...he wants his cake and to eat it too..Rip took the hit in salary to sign with a contender. Chauncey wants all the money and choice of team too. It's not supposed to work that way.
  6. BillLaimbeer

I wonder if CB was offered a buyout. It would have made sense for the Knicks to try that route before exhausing the one-time amnesty.
  7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

That's not necessarily the case. If he clears waivers does anyone owe him any money after that? If he's giving bad teams a warning not to pick him up off waivers is he still being paid by the Knicks regardless of where he signs as a FA? If not, then he's clearly NOT looking to have it all seeing as how he wouldn't be paid nearly as much to come on board with a contender.

P.S. I would have provided the answer for you, but considering I'm at work and for all the 'whining' that journalists do about bloggers not being real journalists; I have yet to find an article where the "journalist" explains how the whole thing actually works in all scenarios. ...RANT OFF
  8. max

max All-Star

if I understand the amnesty correctly, the knicks still owe him the full amount of his contract with no deductions. They get the cap relief but are out of the money.

So CB with year and 14 mil left would or already has gotten a check for 14 mil. Plus the team signing him has to pay him on a new contract.

It was not CB's choice to get cut. I think he would have rather stayed on with the knicks
  9. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Well, that being said...if a competitive team picked him up off waivers, I think he would still play. So I think the question is good team vs. bad team. I'm not sure I could fault him for not wanting to play for a bottom feeder for his last few productive seasons. Since he's being paid either way, the question of him wanting to 'have it all' seems moot.
  10. max

max All-Star

As far as I know CB has nothing to gain financially from beign picked off waivers or being signed after that expired tonight. He still gets the 14 mil + the new contract. Is this right?
  11. max

max All-Star

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_billups_amnesty_waiver_121011

I dont know what this means exactly and cannot find anything conclusive about what exactly happens if he becomes an FA over being clamed. I know he gets the 14 mil either way but does he get more if no one claims him? Sports writers are being very vague so maybe there is a lot of confusion out there still with the details of the new CBA.
  12. BallDon'tLie

I think that Chauncey wanting to clear waivers is more about having freedom of choice (blatent DEVO reference) rather than the cheddar. I think he gets the $14 million irregardless of what happens.
  13. BillLaimbeer

This is how I interpreted it:

Suppose the Pacers bid $4 million and the Raptors bid $3 million. The Pacers would get Billups since they bid more. They would pay the $4 million and the Knicks would have to pay the remaining $10 million (of the $14 million contract). Billups will not earn more than $14 million.
  14. BallDon'tLie

If it isn't that way, it should be.
    ...sounds pretty fair to me.
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Chauncy is probably saying to himself....are we not men?....shouldn't we be able to choose where to work?
  16. BillLaimbeer

Chauncey is probably saying.....please let me go to Chicago where I can reunite with Rip.
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bill is correct. If he's claimed off waivers he gets his full original contract price. The Knicks would pay the difference between what the claiming team pays and the original contract amount. If he's not claimed, the Knicks are still on the hook for the full amount. Then Chauncey can go sign a contract with a new team.
  18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

33 minutes and counting until CB is free.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe a competitor of the Heat should claim CB and force him into retirement?
  20. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If he is not claimed, would that mean the Knicks get to keep their Amnesty waiver for another day and it becomes just a normal buyout?