Chauncey for Iverson would you make this trade?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Winless Wonders, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I was listening to sports talk radio the other day and they brought up a rummor that Philly offered Iverson for Chauncey straight up in the summer and Joe D. turned it down. Knowing what you know now about Ben leaving and us getting nothing and Chauncey not wanting to talk about re- upping his contract right now would you make this deal??

First I would just like to say that Davidson probably would have a heart attack taking on Iverson's contract and secondly I don't buy this rummor because the salaries don't add up unless you probably throw in Dale Davis and other contract.

Thinking about this move I don't think I would do the deal as it was purposed. I like the idea of having a legit star on the team that commands respect from the refs. Iverson would also free up more space on the court because teams have to respect his driving to the basket abilty. Having a guy like Iverson go to the line 15 times a game and dish out 10 assist a night and put up 30 plus points is a step in playing Sten's game I suppose.

If I am making this deal however I don't think you can just deal for Iverson. I would want Iverson and Dalembert..sp??? I don't think just picking up Iverson would help this team. Picking up Iverson would only be a move to get something for Chauncey and I don't know how much it would help us in the win column. Picking up a guy like Dalembert would help us more because we need to stop teams from scoring at will in the paint.

So to answer my own question I would do the deal if Philly is willing to throw in Dalembert.
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

I would do it in a second. Iverson seems less prone to fatique than Chauncey.:rolleyes: Plus, if there is even a hint of truth to the "new NBA" scoring wins games philosophy, having a fast, high scoring back court of Iverson and Hamilton could take this team pretty far. Plus, it would be great fun to watch!:cheerleader:
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

We already don't use the guys we have to their best ability. Then we would have to restructure the team to fit A.I. May as well sit or trade Rip what's he suppose to do then? Until we get a coach that can coach it's all wasted effort. How old/decrepid is A.I.?
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I'd hurry and sign the papers before Philly changed their minds. No brainer.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Have you seen A.I.'s sticks, I mean legs.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

TFD, I know you love Chauncey's meaty legs, but c'mon...
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Don't go creepy manlove on me.
  8. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons don't have anybody with the ability of AI. The guy is just unstoppable.

I think AI wants to win. He would work hard to fit in with the other guys.

Rip would be freed up to pass, rebound (8 last night), and hit a lot of wide-open shots while the other team is busy trying to stop AI from going off.

So dump Flip. I'm all for it.

AI is 32, a year older than Chauncey.

Decrepit? Here's some career stats from Basketball-Reference.com:

[PRE]Year Games Min Reb Ast Stl PF Pts
    1997 76 40.1 4.1 7.5 2.1 3.1 23.5
    1998 80 39.4 3.7 6.2 2.2 2.5 22
    1999 48 41.5 4.9 4.6 2.3 2 26.8
    2000 70 40.8 3.8 4.7 2.1 2.3 28.4
    2001 71 42 3.8 4.6 2.5 2.1 31.1
    2002 60 43.7 4.5 5.5 2.8 1.7 31.4
    2003 82 42.5 4.2 5.5 2.7 1.8 27.6
    2004 48 42.5 3.7 6.8 2.4 1.8 26.4
    2005 75 42.3 4 7.9 2.4 1.9 30.7
    2006 72 43.1 3.2 7.4 1.9 1.7 33
    [/PRE]
  9. max

max All-Star

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Doesn't look like he has a problem with 40 minutes.
  11. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wonder how many years he has left in the tank- his game is far more depending on his shape then CB's. I'd be quite surprised if he's able to score 28+ppg at above 40% for more than this season.
    Still, I'd do it- our last chance for a title this year because this current team is far away from being a contender.
    I like the idea of Dalambert even more- he's Ben- like, only problem is his conditioning and/or foul problem. He seldom play more than 28minutes.
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'd rather keep chauncey and re-sign him. it's hard to find a smart, quality point guard in this league, and chauncey's game does not rely on speed. he can play this way for several more years and not have a problem.
  13. Winless Wonders

I don't think we need AI to put up 28 plus a game. If we work a deal that does not involve RIP, Tay and Sheed he probably would end up averaging around 24 a game with 10 of those points coming from the free throw line and 9 assist a game. Dalembert would be just fine once he gets here and gets worked on by the best trainer in sports.
  14. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

What it does say, though, that Joe passed up this trade, is that he doesn't intend on losing Billups for nothing. I fear overpaying.
  15. Winless Wonders

The NBA is going with a more run and gun fast pace tempo game. Chauncey will get eaten alive by guards like Chris Paul and the new kids coming along. Chauncey is already slow and will get even slower. AI is no where near as slow as Chauncey so I think AI atleast has 2 or 3 years before he gets to the speed Chauncey is now. By that time AI's contract will be up Sheed will be put out to pasture and we will be rebuilding forsure then.
  16. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Iverson's got this year and 2 more left on his deal. Barring major injury, that's good timing. We can trade him after this year and next for major capspace, or keep him another year if we're contending and he's still in decent shape. IMO Iverson made perfect sense before Ben left.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

JD doesn't like that type of player? Because his skills are without question. Kobe would have no chance here either.
  18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm having this vision of CB with a walker bringing the ball up - and I can't see any difference in the pace of the Pistons offense.

But to stay on topic...

AI

AI

AI...
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He does miss some games though. Only 1 complete season.
  20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I would of poohed-poohed this six months ago. I have seen him play five games this year and every time I see this guy play, he just dominates any way and in any direction he wants the team to go. Remind you of someone?

This is one tough ball player and much better than Steve Nash because he can outplay the style that Nash plays (and CB doesn't go there).

He has quickness, in-the-paint-moves, high energy and is very even tempered. A much better passer that I thought and gets back on defense. You can tell he has great concentration and therefore, excellent IQ. More importantly (and keeping this latter point in mind), I think it would be a no-brainer for him to easily adapt to any system. Even at his current rate of minutes (and team), he has at least 2 years left without any noticeable loss in point production. And those skinny legs have been carrying the rock of Sisyphus up that hill for a long time.

In a system like Detroit, he would bring those tangibles I thought highly of as I stated before in another post. Looking ahead, we may lose CB and we will not be picking up anyone of his caliber in FA and you will be out at least 2-3 years even if your high draft pick goes for a PG (which I highly doubt). Ditto for Europe. Lessen his minutes, mentor his backup(s) with youngsters who would get cleared-eyed very fast. He would settle in quickly with the coaches and this might be the most positive aspect from his end.

Going in this direction is a huge leap for JD and I am not concerned about this other talk of JD refusing a deal. Depends on what they wanted. Wouldn't we all agree that things are a little more clear on some type of change happening? You can bet Philly is ready. This can bring some breathing room to concentrate on other matters...like some lucky team who is able to work out a deal for Mike Miller in Memphis. Man, I like this kid.

Bring in AI...and Mr. Davidson, get your check book out.