Chauncey for Iverson would you make this trade?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Winless Wonders, Nov 18, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My sentiments exactly. Although he didn't have a ton of talent around him when he went to the Finals. He did however have a HOF coach...

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Kobe seems to have learned. Maybe it's temporary, but I bet AI could do the same thing if you gave him Tay, Sheed, and Rip to pass the ball to.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

No, how, to develope the talent around him. Pass the ball all nite long.
    The reason he doesn't want to practice is because his teammates are 3 levels below him in natural talent. They need more practice. Develope your team PG.

4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

you can't just say X amount of practise is going to make player Y this much better. every player is different, some have more talent than others. all the practise in the world isn't going to turn a michael curry into a tayshaun prince. AI is currently 10th in the league in assists at 7.1. Thats pretty darn good considering who he has to pass to and he isn't a true point guard.

philly is deprived of talent, thats a fact. its been that way for AI most of his career. look who his other starting 4 were in the 2001 finals -->

aaron mckie
    eric snow
    tyrone hill
    dikembe mutombo

who do you suppose is going to do all the scoring out of that bunch?? a question that sickens me to comprehend to answer.

shows what a great player he is. (and how good LB was)
    most people who have seen game 1 of that series give him instant respect.

before AI's career ends I would love nothing more than to see him have a decent squad around him. He deserves it.

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Star-crossed star.
    Good reply Webz.

6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I would hate to imagine what happened to you if you saw Magic play. AI couldn't carry Magic's water bucket even on a good night.

AI can score, but so could Pistol Pete. That is who I would compare AI to. Neither one could shoot for a high percentage, but they could sure put up a lot of points.

Magic could do what ever he wanted including winning a collegiate title and numerous NBA titles.

7. detteam

detteam All-Star

Including playing every position from point to center ;)

8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

This is like comparing apples and oranges. Magic was 6"9" and AI is only 5"10" or 5"9" even though they list him at 6 ft.

Magic had a Hall of Fame Center in Kareem and a decent 2 guard with Byron Scott. Who has AI had playing beside him all these years? Garbage players mostly or washed up players. AI has not had a decent Center nor has he had a backcourt mate that could carry the load.

9. buddahfan

U got that right

:hoops:

10. buddahfan

If god gives you more natural ability (height) and you take advantage of it then that is how it falls. God gave more football intelligence and ability to Peyton Manning than Jon Kitna. Does that mean you can't compare them?

Well you really can't because they are on such different levels that any attempt at a comparison is laughable. Maybe it is the same with Magic and AI. Of course Zeke wasn't much bigger than AI and I don't know one Piston fan that would rather have had AI running the Bad Boys offense rather than Zeke.
    :)

11. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I agree with Winless. This isn't a fair comparison.

Besides, there is no dispute in my mind that Magic is the greatest point guard of all-time and although his height plays a factor its only one of the things that solidifies his standing. Clutch shooting, bball IQ, defensive awareness, passing ability, rebounding...on and on and on and on....Keep in mind though that greatness can only be achieved with opportunity. Without Magic's championships his legacy would be alot different. Reverse roles and stick AI on a team with the calibur of the 80s Lakers and this discussion might change. Perhaps AI's game expands. Typically when you win, your skills become the blueprint for the protypical player at your position. Just a thought.

Zeke/AI comparisons are probably more realistic. I think there is alot of debate that can ensue about who is the best pound for pound player. I give the edge to Zeke but that is most likely because I have a Detriot bias and he has two championship rings to boot. This would be a great candidate for a classic DBA analysis. (Hint..Hint..Nudge..Nudge..) I'd be interested to hear the stat master's take on this.

Oh and I STILL take AI in a heartbeat for Chauncey. AI is the closest thing to Zeke in the league today in my opinion.

12. roscoe36

I don't like that they call Chris Paul the next Zeke. Paul doesn't have half of Zeke's scoring game.

13. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

They might be comparing him to Zeke when Zeke first came into the league, but in my opinion, Zeke was already more talented and smarter. He knew what kind of team he wanted and set out to get it. He had a ton to do with how that team was shaped.

Zeke was a better fit than AI would have been with that team. With today's Pistons, I think having AI would take the scoring pressure off Sheed and the rest, and Prince and Rip would have the chance to score at will with the pressure taken off by having teams play AI so closely.

I could see Rip and Iverson being co-scoring leaders and the Pistons average 135 PPG :pound: :stirthepot: :pound: !!

Just joshin'. But they would be the best scoring guard tandem since Joe and Zeke.

14. buddahfan

I am not convinced that AI would fit in with a team of stars. When you have as much talent as he does it isn't easy being a team orientated guy. It takes a special talent to do that. Zeke was able to adjust to that as the Pistons added more talent during Zeke's career.

I don't think that one can assume AI would be able to do the same. It is a different skill than AI has exhibited all these years in Philly. That is why I liked Magic so much because he could do that. I still believe to this day that he made Worthy and Scott's careers. That without Magic they would have been good players but not at the level that history sees them.

Michael on the other hand was so great that he only needed one other all-star to enable the Bulls to dominate for years. Everyone else on that team was a role player.

If you look at the 97-98 76's they had a lot of talent go along with AI and Brown as the coach but still only won 31 games.

Philadelphia 76ers (1949 - ) 1997 Stats, History, Awards and More

When all is said and done. I do like AI's game but I would never have wanted him to be a Piston and still don't. Same goes for V. Carter and T. McGrady. Now Wade and LeBron on the other hand are entirely different stories. I would trade C-Bill for either of those in a heart beat, but who wouldn't?

15. MotownPride

He seemed to do alright defferring on those olympic teams, Buddah. ...and the season you are referencing was wayyyy early in his career. It was only his second year in the league! Michael Jordan wasn't able to play team ball either when he came into the league and we know how that eventually turned out.

16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

not to mention AI and tim thomas were the only guys to play over 60 games. not exactly the makings of team chemistry.

17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No doubt it would be a risk and a potential trainwreck. You would need to figure out if the kid has earned enough money and had enough personal acolades, and is now willing to do anything it took to win a championship. I think lots of guys late in their careers imply that they are willing, but not all that many really are.

18. roscoe36

One would only need to see AI peel himself off the floor for the 10th time in a game, after being doubtful to play with an arm sprain in order to answer this question.

I've come around on Billups. I don't see a trade like this as necessary but I love AI.

19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree on AI. I think he would do what it took.

And clearly the world is still a nice place with CB at the helm. But I do think this team needs a new warrior. Could be a bench guy, could be a pickup, but somebody...

20. MotownPride

Guess you didn't take the bait on the AI, Zeke comparison. Darn....