Chauncey for Iverson would you make this trade?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Winless Wonders, Nov 18, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

Re: What about a three team Iverson=PistonsCB=Denver, Miller=Philly

I am with you and Ros on this. Frankly I am surprised that Dumars is not even considering it because it starting to look like we will need something extra to get over the bar this year.

Nothing against Billups but he is going to want pretty near the same what AI is getting next season and he will be a lot older than AI will be when their respective contracts end.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am OK with this 3-way deal that GM ArmyGirl is suggesting. We can win with CB and probably get to the ECF barring injuries, but if he wants to go home at the end of the season, then lets package him now instead of losing out like we did with Big Ben. As Roscoe indicated the salarys may not match now, so we may to throw in some cash, a draft pick or somebodies (but who). the Pistons need another body that is not afraid to penetrate.

If Joe can't swing a deal, I would be happy with the Clippers sending Livingston and Magette to the sixers for AI. Please don't let Riley one up us and steal AI.
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I like the idea of sending Chauncey to Denver and Andre Miller to Philly and we get AI. When AI's contract is up we will be looking to rebuild anyway. Also it would be nice to trump Pat Riley and the Heat who are trying to figuire out a way to get Iverson.

I think we need to add more hunger to our team. The only guy hungry on this team is McDyess. We saw him shaken up when we lost to the Spurs and to the Heat. We need to have that hunger in a starter.
  4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

the heat don't have any desirable pieces for philly to consider a trade with them
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

I don't think AI sees the Heat as a desirable situation. He doesn't strike me as a glitz guy and Miami already has too many egos to stroke in Mourning, Shaq, Wade, AND Riley. If AI goes south, the Heat get better on paper...but I have huge doubts that everyone can be happy...especially AI. Riley might want to have AI in the worst way, but I don't think he's a fit for that team chemistry. I think Riley's biggest fear is AI coming to the Pistons.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

heat would have to give up the support players, Jwill, the Glove, Posey etc. Philly may not want any of these over the hill playas, and if they did take them, would probably want the yougster Dorrel Wright thrown in there too.

Agree thay Riles definitely does not want the Pistons to grab AI....that's the kind of thinking I like in a GM ...Besides, Riley knows that this is going to be a soft EC playoff and only the heat and Pistons have real shot at winning it with the Cavs , magic, nets and bulls still pretending.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

The kind of thinking you like in a GM is a guy with a fistful of blank checks signed by the owner...BillD ain't like that...Joe's gotta play by Bill's rules. That's the thing that sticks in my head when considering CB's future in the after season...and the reason I feel CB should be dealt before the Pistons end up with a handful of nothing...again.

AI could help this team NOW especially considering how his O fits with Flip's game plan. Flip would be picking his nose FURIOUSLY to have a guy that can drive the lane at will.

AI would be a good fit here JMO
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm not saying we should trade for AI, only that there are really not a lot of compelling reasons not to.

Riles put it best in an article I perused earlier today. Something to the effect of, "As a GM, I have to look at this opportunity".

Now if I am a bottom team then grabbing AI could mess up my team building plan. If I am a team like the Mavs or Spurs, my roster is pretty much Finals ready.

But if I am the 8th place team in the NBA, it's worth looking at moves that could catapult my group to the top of the rankings.

I'll be ok with this if Joe passes but does all his due diligence. If they quickly rule it out without making an inquiry into the costs for the Pistons, that's not good business.
  9. max

max All-Star

Winless - For me its not about being hungry or that Billups is doing something wrong. True AI would bring it more with a great opportunity like joining the Pistons. AI is better. AI would be an upgrade and like you wrote would be retiring about the same time we would be rebuilding anyway. Now we are going to be stuck with an aging Billups 5 years from now topping out at around 18 mil or so.

Ros - I was thinking the same thing. AI fits a team wanting something to get them over the hump - like the Pistons. But Billy King wants what a rebuilding team would have to offer which are young players, draft picks and expiring contracts. Why would a rebuilding team want to give up the future for a guy with 3 good years left?

Probably the best compromise at this time is Minnesota. To get AI I would imagine they would basically be left with KG, AI and a bunch of average players. Are 2 guys and nothing enough?

Minn is more desperate than the Pistons are. KG is getting old and they have to do something.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Mike James and AI would be formidable.
    AI and Wade I don't even want to think about. But the Heat need Posey and Haslem. Riles isn't as loyal to his guys as JD is. He'd cut throats.
    CB and Rip would become second tier.
  11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Max-

Billy King is an idiot. He has ruined the market for Iverson and everyday he spends picking his nose the less he is going to get. NBA teams are not going to leave a deal on the table longer than 24hrs so you can pit one team against another. The trade rumors that are swirling don't sit well with teams especially if they have good chemistry now and end up losing the Iverson sweepstakes and they have to deal with the players bruised egos that they put on the block. Billy king can't have it both ways. Either you want salary cap relief , draft picks or young talent. You are not going to get all 3.

If I was Billy King I would take a 2007 #1 pick and a couple of expiring contracts. Philly is going to be bad for a couple of years no matter what they do. You get the expiring contracts for cap relief so that you can play in the free agent market and you have (2) 2007 1st round picks to rebuild.
  12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Good post.
  13. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

In all the trade hype, I read that Chicago wants to get Marcus Camby from the Nuggets so he can play with Ben and be their Rasheed!!! (Camby is not for sale). If Chicago wants to be just like us, they should change their name to the Minipistons or the Copycats. I hope the Babybulls have to resign their younger players at a decent wage pretty soon, as I'm tired of hearing their big plans to go after every star in the NBA. That extra salary cap space gives them A BIG MOUTH.
  14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

If they want to be like us we can give em Flip! :pound:
  15. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

LOL:pound:
  16. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Like I have posted before I wouldn't tray C-Bill for AI, but I maybe could be persuaded to do a

The Prince and C-Bill for Captain Butler and Captain Quirk

:stirthepot: