Chicago April 13th 7:30PM

Discussion in 'April 2009' started by max, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Sounds like the end of a long miserable season with about 4-5 playoff games to go.
  2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

32 points in the second half.

So many lowlights:

Maxiel bricking his shots in 7 minutes of poor ball so Curry pulled him.

Sheed is so slow now that if he has to re-pump on the shot, he misses.

How about that line up starting the 4th? Bynum, who had little going tonight, Kwame no offense, Afflalo little offense, Tay and Dyss. Dyss hit a couple of jumpers and you knew the lead and or the momentum was fading fast. Can't win if you can't score in this league.

The Pistons team is now on par with a pretty poor Bulls team. We have to face it to move on. This team is not about Curry but aging personnel and the seeming inability of the youth to give consistent output.

Rest the guys and give a push against Cleveland.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Apparently, the team wanted to win this one.

But the coach put the a unit out there that consistently loses close games. And they lost, just like they always do - with not enough speed around the basket. The announcer tried to play cover up for instance, when Dyess did not quite get over quick enough. Sure you show it from the right angle, and it looks like a close play. It was not. It was an easy layup that Dyess did not get over to bother any. Not Dyess' fault, but the fault of the coach for not having a power forward in the game.

And the announcers went on about how great the first quarter was. Really? This is Detoit. The land of the D. No Detroit basketball. No Defense. A 31-31 first quarter is by no means welcome around these here parts.

I see some think JMAX had a bad game. Sure he did. If you wnat to think that. But look who he was out there with. Herrman playing small forward, never getting involved in any plays offensively, and never even getting down the floor quick enough to ever effect a defensive play. Bynum and Affalo in the backcourt, not exactly offensive stalwarts. Kwame. I like Kwame. But he is not an outside shooter. What did JMAX have to work with. He ended up taking some shots out of his range. But what else was he suppose to do? Despite the supposed bad game JMAX was having, gee, Chicago only scored 17 points in the 2nd quarter - where JMAX played 7 minutes of. JMAX weak on rebounding the defensive boards? Chicago only got 3 offensive rebounds in the first half. I don't think JMAX was killing us in that respect.

What was killing us most of the night? Lack of defensive rotation. Lack of transition D. Two things that stem from trying to play a set of players without enough quickness among them. And by the way, it would help if someone clued Stuckey in that he is suppose to defend with a hand up - at least once in a while. Rodman use to get away with that all the time for us - but he was 6-8. Stuckey is not tall enough to get away with defending with his hands glued to his sides at all times.

Free throws. We did miss some key ones. But we shot 70%, pretty typical. Rip missed one more maybe than we wish he would have. But hey, free throws get missed. So you play defense. And how can you play defense if you won't put in people who can move. JMAX only played 7 minutes, while Amir got a DNP. So we simply did not use our quick power forwards that much. And lo and behold, gee, lack of team speed. Go figure.

There is another way to defend. Foul them out. I was so heartened to see Dyess work inside a couple times or so to start the game. It was a mirage though. All that inside play went poof. Yeah, we saw it here and there from there. Sheed the one blown layup working inside. Stuckey driving in. Tay, actually a lot of inside work for him went well. But we saw a whole lot more of - Rip shooting off curls. Quick transition shots, even though we had all day yet to take our time and work the middle.

We had them in foul trouble fast in a couple of quarters. And then an endless series of jumpers.

Playoff type game. Serious game. So you can't play Amir. But you can find 7 minutes for Herrmann to wonder about lost? No, its not serious. Its comical. And looks like this comedy will continue exactly four more games. Which is how long it will take Cleveland to sweep us.

Yes, I still believe we have the team to win it all - until you factor in our coach. Then, even if we played Charlotte in the first round - we would not win with this coach coaching the team. Unless he really did not want to win this game (and again, its the only out I can see for him.) there is no excuse at all for the way he coached the game.
  4. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I thought you were band, or at the very least branded.
  5. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Ahwell 5 more games and the drama will be over.
    Games like these make me laugh at articles posted bij Keith (Longlost my senses) and all the other Piston BS writers saying'"once playoff time comes , Pistons can be a dangerous team".

Dangerous my behind, how can you be when you still loose to teams like Indiana and Chicago. The wins against NY and NJ were just flukes, just like the other games they have won this whole season.

Unless Joe makes some major trades during the off season, this team is going nowhere. What frustrates me the most is that next season Curry will still be here and the season is probably gonna be over after 1 month of playing.
    I can't believe that a team that won 59 games last season, is a below .500 team this season just because CB was traded.
  6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Um..ahem..BTW, Herrmann palyed in that 2nd quarter of good D as well. I watched when he came in at the 10:10 mark and I just KNEW you wouldnt give him any props. A good writer, Lee, prints the truth whether he likes it or not. To say Max was good Defensively and have nothing to say about Herrmann (who again I reitterate DONT LIKE) is really wrong.
  7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

U thought i was 'band'??? Like Band-aid? Rubber band? Contraband? I dont get it...........................:bath1:
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm a shepherd, not a drover.
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I'm a lover, not a fighter.....-MJ to PMcC
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

" u cant stop him, u can only hope to contain him".....-dan patrick
  11. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

we suck. i didn't think they could still disappoint me (I mean because I thought I had no expectations left). but they did tonight. gross day to be a pistons fan.

i know this will bring down the wrath of the faithful, but i'm feeling a kind of perverse wish that we get blown out annihilated destroyed demolished in a shattering four game sweep that will leave JOE with as few illusions (and therefore no grist for the b.s. pr mill) as i have about this group. (Of course, once the series starts, I will be hoping that we push them to seven games and blah blah blah...)
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And then looked disgusted at some teammate across the floor who Tay didn't feel was in the right place but somehow forced him to step off the court with the ball. Then went over to Curry and explained to him why that other guy's inability to run the play threw off his latitudinal sense so much that he was forced to step out.

It would have happened to anyone under the same circumstances. The team may be awful, but Tay is always right.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Thats your opinion.

Mine is that Herrmann did absolutely nothing to help our defense while out there, and that the other 4 players, all good defenders, rotated well enough to compensate. (Afflalo, Bynum, JMAX, Kwame.)

The above paragraph has been included in many of my game reports of late. I don't feel I have to cover the exact same ground every report. If you have not been reading my previous game reports, consider yourself enlightened now.
  14. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

My friend, the biggest difference here is not CB, it's DA COACH!
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

game on the court starts with playmaker...coach surely did not tell to stuckey to suck but since stuckey is JD's personal project, MC has no choice than play stuckey.

Coach may call plays but it is up to player to execute them. Player makes the final decision whether to follow the play or break it or how to use opportunities.

And stuckey's decision making has been pretty bad.

Here overheroisized coaches' plays are actually very simple: give ball to superstar and he "makes a play" from 1on1 iso.

Take away KG from Doc Rivers, Kobe from Zenmaster, Duncan from Pop, and all those coaches will look like "clueless as MC".
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe you guys have already covered this, but What Tremendous Foolishness was that when MC called our last timeout?

The Bulls had their offensive unit on the floor with Ben Gordon, who had been getting torched by Rip throughout the game. Not only that, but on his layup to take the lead, he got a crippling crotch injury and was squirming on the floor. We had a 5 on 4 possession if we wanted it. Not only that, but a 5 on 4 against their offensive unit.

TIMEOUT???????????????????

Of course, the Bulls immediately sub out their weak defenders and take out Ben Gordon out on a stretcher. And the Pistons ran MC's diagrammed play to perfection and it still wasn't enough.

"Sheed, I want you to float around the 3-point line like you would have if I didn't call this timeout. When you get the ball, don't shoot the open 3, because they will be expecting that. Wait for the defender and then force one up. Make it look like a 3-pointer, but it's really going to be a pass to Dyess. And Antonio, here's where it gets really tricky. I want you to throw and alley oop to yourself off the side of the backboard like Dwight Howard did in the All-Star dunk contest. There probably won't be any defenders nearby because they are all going to assume Big Shot Sheed made the 3-pointer and they'll be hanging their heads. Break."
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I have no <i can say here> words for that decision.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I caught that also. In fairness to Tay, there were only 3 seconds on the shot clock and Tay needs a minimum of 15 seconds to get a shot off.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Can't rush a good thing. He savors his wind-up.
  20. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Typical Curry. Nothing nice to say. :shout: