Away Chicago Bulls Saturday, December 07, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love it when I read a stat that says the Pistons lead the league in something....

Injuries are part of the game....so if Deng is out, too bad, we have to take advantage of it...especially since it was he and Gibson who dominated the scoring in last week's Bulls win over the Pistons.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  3. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Great game by Jennings tonight! He took a lot of shots but he had to cause our bigs weren't getting it done and Stuckey was out. I also liked how J. Smoove took a different role when he saw his shots weren't falling. Instead of forcing the issue he looked to set up his teammates and focused his attention on defense and rebounds. Balanced effort by the team tonight, I like it :)
    del and Lee356 like this.
  4. LA Dre

For the first time since 2/24/2006, when Mo Evans and Dyess came off the bench to combined for 31 points, the Pistons beat the Bulls in Chicago.

Final score Pistons 92- Bulls 75.

The Pistons led by Brandon Jennings acrobatic shots in the 4th quarter shut down the Bulls in the second half to the tune of 28 points including only nine in pivotal third quarter. Jennings finished with 33 points and 5 assists. The Pistons only recorded 15 assists and still scored 92 points

It was the Pistons best defensive showing of the season holding the Bulls to only 33% shooting. It was also probably their best shooting this season from beyond the arc 12/19 and free throw percentage 12/15.

All of this was done with no Stuckey in the second half and a poor shooting performance by our starting bigs who were only 9 for 32. JORTS came off the bench to assist in third quarter with some key shots including a couple of threes. Those key shots came in handy when both teams were stuck and only scored 2 points a piece for almost 5 minutes when his 3 got the Pistons going, followed by another 3 by Jennings and then one by Smith to blow a close game open.

The front line did get their share of boards as they combined for 36, but Smith seem to be out of sync shooting 2-11 and had 5 turn overs. Dre saddled with foul trouble fell short of my required playa of the week honors of 15-15, but the 8 and 14, along with the Pistons going 4-0 this week (including three of those on the road vs quality home teams in Miami and Chicago, he will get a lot of votes.
    jzchen, OLD SKOOL HQ and Lee356 like this.
  5. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

Josh Smith is approaching Ben Wallace levels of awful offensively.

He needs to not have anything ran for him. His shot chart is Monta Ellis like

[​IMG]

I'm actually getting very sick of him. Otherwise, a GREAT second half.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Got tix last minute for this one. Crowd was out of the game the entire time thanks to the slow first half and the bull's miserable 3rd quarter performance. Noah was really shut down, which allowed us to make lots of mistakes and not suffer. Felt like a battle between two good defensive teams.
    Lee356 likes this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jorts was a difference maker btw. Great to see.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The game was won by the decision to bring in Harrellson as the first sub in when Drummond got his fourth foul not too far into the 3rd quarter. Remember, its Harrellson who came in for Drummond in the 3rd against Miami. And we won that one too. Using Harrellson as a sub for Drummond makes sense. We do not lose a lot of size, like when Singler comes in for him, and hey, apparently Harrellson can hit 3's too. Both Singler and Harrellson made two threes in this game. The difference? Harrellson got 3 blocks and five rebounds - played defense to make his shots count. Singler just can not play D in this league. Plus 16 for Harrellson.

In contrast, the first sub off the bench, and about the last to return to the bench, for the first half, was Singler. Singler did hit some shots, but his defense allowed a lot more points than what we got from him on offense. Singler proved too slow any time he went to the perimeter, and almost never affected any plays inside positively.

We ran a bench of Siva, Stuckey, Singler, JJ, and Drummond in the first half. We could not rebound, guard the basket, score a point with that unit. Stuckey made one play, and thats about it for that unit. It got pulled rather quickly, though Singler was kept in even though he is why our bench was not any good.

Yeah, we could not score inside with our bigs a whole lot. Or maybe we were not trying to get the ball into Monroe enough, as he at times made it look easy. Anyway, we were experimenting in this one going inside to Drummond a bit. No real luck there, but Drummond has to start his education somewhere. We started the game going to him, and he held the ball too long so Hinrich came over and took over the ball handling chores from him. Later, he got the ball inside, put it on the floor and got it removed from him again. But yet, maybe it helped. Twice, Drummond calmly made a little hook shot from in front of the basket in the game. I say it certainly can't hurt to feed Drummond several times per game. Look at what it did for Monroe. Remember, he use to get blocked more than anything when we threw the ball into him, but now he is pretty accomplished at scoring inside.

Smith stunk pretty bad, shooting poorly from the outside, taking bad shots inside, and turning the ball over several times. And yet, he, and our other two bigs, (and Harrellson too) got tons of bounds and held Chicago to near zilch inside after that first few minutes of the first quarter. Up until Singler came in very late in the 3rd quarter, Chicago only had 5 points in the quarter.

Jennings started out shooting hot, and just kept it up. 33 points, a season high for him. Singler was our next highest scorer with 12, then Harrelson with 10.

We held Chicago to 33% shooting in the game. But note, when Singler was in the game, we did no where near that good. Indeed, Chicago's bench palyers shot 60% in the first half. Largely at Singler's expense. It was either Singler giving up the points directly, or not clearing a board, or someone helping him out on defense letting their own guy score. Despite the praise Singler gets from his coach, it was not Singler who came in for Drummond in that 2nd half. Coach can apparently see what is going on to some extent. I hope he changes something soon. We are not going to be able to continually get away with bringing on a bench unit that does not function.

Stuckey suffered a knee bruise, apparently colliding with somebody. Out for game after just getting the two points from the line. This caused nothing but good things for us. Specifically, Pope pretty much played the whole 2nd half, so our defense was a lot tighter in the 2nd half. Pope did not do a whole lot but play the D, but he did hit half his shots. A three, a pull up after stepping in from the 3 line (and using a pump fake to freeze his defender), a cut to the basket, and one fast break bucket off their turn. He functioned as a shooting guard, so we actually played a whole half with a shooting guard.

Our bench did come in, again, minus Stuckey, in the 2nd half. But briefly. JJ only played 7 minutes in all and Siva just 6.

I want to mention, Chicago started out strong on us, going inside. But coach called a timely timeout, and we started from that point forcing their post up guys out farther on the catch. We had righted the ship, and were doing fine - then Stuckey and Singler came in, on schedule. Nothing happened good for us the rest of the first half until, finally, Singler came back out of the game. Then we had the great defensive stand in the 3rd, and finally a lot of scoring right at the end of that stand. Good solid lead. Singler comes in. No further increase in the lead for us.

Singler did end up plus five in the game. Most of that, a 3 by Harrellson upon Singler entering the game late in a quarter.

Talk about winning the point matchup. At one point, Jennings was up 27 to zero on points vs. Hinrich. and ended of course 33-3. I just wanted to point out, Hinrich never scored a point while the game was still in doubt. Also, Noah never scored any points until we had a big lead and the game in control.

Boozer. As a lot of you know, this guy plays dirty. The League really ought to clean it self up, by reviewing film, and starting to heavily fine palyers like Boozer who simply give the league a foul reputation.

Drummond's fourth foul was not a foul by Drummond by any stretch of the imagination. Boozer purposely wrapped his arm around Drummond's, pulled Drummond down, and then let go in a manner designed to make it look like Drummond had caused the contact. Pure dirty play at its best. Sure, I concede Boozer is really good at this dirty play. But I find no use for having it in this league. Whether the refs can catch it or not in real time action, they can certainly see it if they take time to study the film on Boozer. Do it. Fine him.

Four in a row by our beloved Pistons. Fifth seed and rising. But it does not get any easier, as we play the Champs again tomorrow at 6. Certainly, we can't make it five in a row against the Heat? I doubt they are sitting Wade in this one.

PS, and its 4 straight road wins. The last 3, the last 3 games - Miami, Bucks, Chicago (6'ers was the first win of the four straight games just now.) And it was NJ that we beat when last on the road before this.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

20 games. 30 games. Good markers for the season. Where are the Pistons? .500 at 20 games and seemingly on the rise. The team is now winning the games it is suppose to be winning. And, the Pistons are playing confidently. They are turning it up at certain points in the game defensively like good teams can do.

It looks like the team will need a back up point guard. Billips? Who knows? Siva is not even being guarded by opposing teams. It is amazing how the scouting reports get out these days on even minor role players. When he is in, Siva is not able to use his point guard skills distributing because no one guards him and they are 5 on 4 on the other guys. Until he can show offense, this will undoubtedly continue.

I am pleased with Pope. If he can make shots in a reasonable manner at the NBA level, it is gravy as he is still a raw rookie. Once again, Dumars seems to have drafted wisely. Joe has made many questionable moves with veterans over the last few years but his drafting is unreal (taking away Darko whom he never saw play). Yes, Lee, I wish we did not have to depart with Middleton. The guy can shoot. But what is amazing, Middleton was a second rounder.

My take on Singler (another second rounder) is that as long as his offense is back, he can play. Good teams have offensive players that they can use and then hide for awhile on defense.

Some little things are bothersome but not in a big way.

Monroe. Can he please dunk sometimes? He tends to get needlessly blocked near the rim.

Josh, wow, some of his turnovers are like giveaways. And, Josh should have a few spots on the floor where he is money. For being in the league this long, you can see that he hasn't had the coaching. Don't get me wrong, he is a big asset for this team.

All our bigs need to improve free throw shooting. It is not just Andre.

Jennings. I have been saying all along that he needs to score on this team, early and late. Even tonight with all his points, he hesitates when he has an open look and then drives in to take a tougher shot. Just shoot the ball if you are open. Yes, he needs to learn how to distribute the ball. Jennings is another player you have to wonder about how he has been coached in the past. But he is a shooter and the Pistons were taking away his biggest asset early in the season forcing him to become a Jason Kidd type guard. Remember, he lost confidence in his shot. He needs to shoot to be Jennings.

Who is this Harrelson guy? He looked pretty good out there.

I am glad the team is going into Andre also. It didn't work early but he will be the force eventually and let's start feeding him some already.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We won an ugly game, but that's what Chicago makes you do, especially when they have guys out of the lineup. Early on Boozer, Gibson and Noah were really getting in our guys' heads'..... But again, that's what they do. But after halftime we shut their water off and just accepted the physical challenge, as the complaining and crying stopped on our part and we just played ball.

It may look like like our bigs played a a bad game (and they did) but please don't discount that the Bulls' big men were rendered useless after the 2nd qtr too, we basically battled them to a draw but Jennings had the hot hand, Harrellson gave us GREAT minutes and so did KYLE SINGLER!!! Singler has been playing VERY good basketball as of late and I hope he keeps it up. Noah didn't do much (2 pts and 9rebs), but I think it was because he had to spend so much and energy holding Andre Drummomd to 8 points and 14 rebounds :-).

Also Stuckey came out injured and Dre seemed to be a little hobbled too, hope its nothing serious because we need both of them tomorrow.

Oh! And KCP locked down whoever he was guarding and was 4-8 from the floor. O

Over the last 5 games Jennings, Singler and Pope have some awesome stats!!! If those three guys can hit shots while keeping the focus on feeding the bigs, we can definitely get the three seed!!!
    brofmfa, del, The Panda and 2 others like this.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's my beef too! The mere fact that there's not a single spot on the floor where he's money! To be in the league this long that's mind numbing to me. Most NBA guys have 1 or 2 spots where they essentially work to get shots off at. Nor does he have a go to move and he can't drive to the rim and finish with his right hand....I find myself thinking WTH have you been working on for the last 7,8,9 years?

I completely disagree, this guy is a career 39% shooter! When he's hot- gun away (like tonight) but for the most part he needs to distribute the rock, he's starting to get the idea of when to go and when to get his team involved and the great ones know how to do that! Trust and believe that if Jennings plays like "Jennings" it will be at the detriment of this team.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Jorts has really given them some solid minutes.

The Bulls didn't seem like they were missing anyone in the first half. They did a good job of putting a body on Drummond.

I can't believe the Pustons are .500.

Jennings made some nice passes.

It doesn't seem like Smith can guard 4's either. Taj Gibson had his way with him.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
    Lee356 and roscoe36 like this.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Looks like my hope for a winning season is back on track. Never stop believing. I hope we can beat the Heat again.
  14. LA Dre

15. LA Dre

The 4 game win streak is currently the longest in the league. We are half game out of the coveted 3rd seed.

They have beaten the Heat already, so should not be any fear this time..even with Wade suited up. Hopefully Stuckey is ready.
  16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Detroit have the 4th best record in the Eastern Conference! If Singler, KCP and Jennings can get their 3-point shooting going as of late, this team is starting to look ok. And when was the last time Detroit beat Chicago? Sweet victory.

The Bulls had no answer for Hairy Harry. Jerebko and CV should get 0 non-garbage time minutes. A bigs rotation of Drum, Monroe, Smith and Harry is enough.

Wasn't Smith supposed to be a candidate for DPOY btw? Historically it has to be pretty uncommon that bench players continously put up all-star numbers against the DPOY.
  17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

YEAH BABY!
  18. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yes, 4 (road) wins in a row!!

Jorts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BoT

If there was ever even a minuscule thought of keeping BoT on, Jorts has obliterated that thought!!
    roscoe36 likes this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Smith did a lot of nice things defensively last night. Holding a team in the 70s means that a lot of dirty work was done.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What a great job by Smith and Monroe on the defensive glass last night. That's what they need.

I think one of the main reasons the Pistons have improved defensively is that Monroe isn't shadowing Drummond's efforts on the offensive glass and is getting back on D instead.
    KGREG likes this.