Away Chicago Bulls Wednesday Jan 23 2013

Discussion in 'January 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The offense began slipping mid to late third quarter and all we got was a steady diet of Stuckey shooting and Monroe holding the ball away from the basket. Some might think Robinson won the game. Not really. Yes, the coach should have tried Knight sooner. I agree. But in the NBA, guys do hit shots. The problem was on the OTHER end. Teams have to keep scoring--not like football with a defensive stand. Look at OKC. And so, Maxiel finds his way back in the game for a team who already wasn't scoring. Sometimes you have to roll the dice and get a shooter in there even if your defense is a bit compromised. At least, go down swinging.

Stuckey is just not a go to guy in the 4th quarter. And once again, Monroe has to get a shot so that Drummond can be kept on the floor. Who is coaching Monroe on his shot??

LA Dre, alexa032 and copper like this.
  2. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

That play encapsulated every move Stuckey's ever made. I don't remember the last time I watched him shoot and thought it would go in.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think BoT should start yelling "And 1!" when he's playing defense.

del, Walter, BallDon'tLie and 4 others like this.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

As bad as Stuckey is at finishing, Brandon Knight isn't far behind. BK7 BARELY tops 40% from the floor which is crazy when you see that he shoots over 38% from beyond the arc. These guards (and Monroe) are literally driving me crazy!

linwood likes this.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't have the energy to fully explain my frustration with the coach in this one. He coached scared. The end game was baffling and comical. If tibs could have picked our lineup, that would have been it.

That was the most constipated half court offense I've seen in quite a while in the second half. Painful to watch Monroe, maxiell, and stuckey clogging the paint with tay letting the defense reset ever time he touches the ball.

17 point lead and the coach abandons the rotations that have led to our resurgence. Nate was good, but only 11 points. We just couldn't create any open shots when they started trying.

alexa032 and copper like this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why wasn't drummond in on our final defensive stand? Ludicrous.

copper and roscoe36 like this.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Everyone has said what I think. We simply didn't have enough players play well, and the coach didn't put the lineups in a position to win a totally winnable game.

On to the next...

copper likes this.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There would have not been this much passion if this loss had occurred in November, but the team was on an upswing and to see the coach ignore any type of adjustment when his team is struggling puts the loss on him.....but agree that Moose and Stuckey were just turrrrrrrrible.

Even if we had somehow pulled this one out in regulation in those last 90 seconds it would have been categorized as an ugly win.

copper likes this.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I disagree that this is a coaching loss, at what point do we hold players accountable for their bad play? Frank didn't miss layups, catch passes out of bounds, pass up WIDE open 15 footers. He put the pistons (2nd) highest paid player on the floor- who was ordained the franchise player and the guy who leads the team in scoring and rebounding. At some point in time THOSE guys have to get it done and I'm not going to blame the coach anymore for playing the hand he was dealt........eventually Joe has to CUT his losses on these losers.

Walter and kpaav like this.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

We got some comedians in here tonight. You guys (and girl) got me bummed out. I wasn't that mad about "blowing" this one. The Bulls have been rolling.

The Pistons have lost their way with their Magic-like offense. I too can't take how conservative Frank is. He had Monroe, Drummond, Singler, Stuckey and Knight playing with 7 minutes left with Tay ready to sub in. He took Singler out. I would have rather seen Stuckey or Knight sit so the Pistons could force the action by playing odd and big.

Noah has killed the Pistons for years, but I thought they were getting the best of him when they had Monroe and Drummond out there.

Knight is sketchy with the ball. I think Courtney Kirkland blew that inadvertent whistle because he thought Knight was having a seizure when he was dribbling the ball.

"If my choice is only you or Drummond then it is Drummond in a landslide. Shoot the ball, Greg!" - hopefully Lawrence Frank 01/24/13 at the Pistons film session.

The ending of this one shocked me as much as Al Horford's "three" against the Hawks a few weeks ago.

11. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Its a double edged sword when ya claim the players are the ones making the mistakes..because someone put the llineup out there and it is supposed to be his responsibility to manage the goup. If they are not getting the job done? make a change.. Does anyone for a second think the lineup wouldnt have changed if Daddy Rich was on the Bench? The lineup had no sense of purpose. I can give you 10 golf clubs for a round of golf....if you choose to use the putter to tee off? is it the clubs fault you suck? sure he has to play the hand he was dealt, but he can play better cards for the situations

kpaav likes this.
  12. roscoe36

If you're changing one soiled diaper for another, it's just the same old poopy-pants.

13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

well at least then you can say " we tried" and you then have 2 poopy bags to light on fire and throw at Larrys house....

14. roscoe36

Fans are never happy with the coaches. But this year is the one year I don't blame the coach, and it's not because Larry is good but because the roster is bad, and I said so at the beginning of the season. When we play well, we can compete, but if you've been watching basketball for 25 years like I have (and perhaps you have been watching longer) this roster and the talent, attitude, savoir faire etc of this group is not good by any stretch of any imagination.

Asking Larry to change players around, is like re-arranging deckchairs on the Titanic. And when the result is the same, fans who claim he doesn't rotate right, will still blame him for the loss because deep down, they have a identity defining conviction that this team can be successful night in and night out.

One thing I really dislike about Larry which I rarely see criticized is his inability to call timely timeouts, or to organize plays in the clutch. At the end of tight games, we are almost exclusively relying on athletic and individual performance instead of execution. That's problematic because he's a second year coach, and his system, whatever it may be, should already be in.

15. copper

copper Bench Warmer

These are all of why I dislike him with such a passion...these are things the players look to the head coach for, his guidance..especially these young kids. These are the most important parts of coaching because all the teaching and training in practice is done with individual coaches and personal trainers and rarely by head coach. The in game decisions that you are speaking of are the " head coach" moments when the heat of battle is upon them and everyone is sweating and breathing heavy and they come to the bench and ...Im just guessing here... but I imagine it goes a little like this..." everyone huddles up and looks at Larry...who blankly stares back at them and says...." what?? do I have something on my cheek?" or more like tonights game..." ok we're down by 3....so lets send in our worst possible 3 point shooters...it will be exactly what they arent expecting us to do"

Laimbrane likes this.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's the NBA. Watch enough games and you'll see that's how most games are won. OKC doesn't execute down the stretch, nope, they give the ball to KD and VOILA! In NY it's Melo, In Miami it's LBJ or Wade, San Anton-Parker or Ginobli. If those guys don't score they create a WIDE open shot. We don't have that player, maybe in time Drummond becomes the kind of Big that you can dump the ball into late, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

17. junkyarddog

junkyarddog First Round Draft Pick

Hi everybody,
    first of all as I am a newcomer, I am a huge Pistons fan in France since 1995.
    How fustrating was this new lost yesterday ? Does everyone know how many game we have lost after leading by more than 10 points this season ? I think this is more that 10. We can't blame Lawrence for this one even though I think that Charlie would have been helpful in the 4th.
    This is up to the player to not be under pression when they are leading. Greg need to step up in these kind of moments and unfortunetly, he doesn't. Tay or Will can not finish the game by themself when they are in front of excelent defenders (like Butler or Hinrich)

On the good side, they prove that they can beat 80% of the NBA team : 5 games behind first playoff spot: I think that we can get it !

18. roscoe36

Welcome JYD!

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Reverting.

Theme of the night. Coach ends up using the same, totally lame, unit he began the season with. Stuckey and Knight in the backcourt. Tay. JMAX. Monroe. Not a guy who can make a shot among them. And they all, sadly, tried.

Bynum was his typical minus 6. Still waiting for a game to legitimize him being out there. Sorry Bynum fans, but when you already have two point guards, a third does not help. We can do so much more with the sub shooting guard slot.

Lots of fun to watch for most of the game. Got to go off to work though, I will comment more on the game tonight.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is specifically what bugged me now that I've slept on it.

Frank broke from the rotation of the past 15 games for some reason in the 2nd half and there wasn't any obvious reason why. The bench maintained the lead in the 1st half with charlie taking 1 shot and Daye being +6 and hitting a trey. Drummond was his usual effective self.

While trying to cling to a lead, frank went with the comfort players (like lee said, the way he started the season). Daye and charlie were shut out of the game. Bynum was out there without spacers. The paint was clogged, and we were really struggling to score at the pace we did in the first half. The Bulls defense is really good and the place was rocking, but no reason to switch up the strategy. I could understand if the bench got pummeled in the first half, but it was going fine. At least have singler on the court to create motion.

The guys frank leaned on were having extremely inefficient games (stuckey and monroe). Just look at their shooting. Noah owns monroe... Bad matchup for us.

On the final defensive stand, you gotta go with drummond. The dude won a game for us a few weeks ago in this situation by blocking a three point attempt by someone else's man. He shuts down the paint without fouling and covers a square acre with a step and a reach. Perfect to reduce the odds of the opponent getting 1 point.

Then on our final possession, we go with knight (releases his shot from hip height), stuckey (3 pointers usually come from and 1's), tay (turns down 99% of all open looks), and max/monroe who have made 1 or 2 threes in their combined careers, including practice.

On the bench our options included a guy with the highest 3 point make rate in the league in cv, a guy who nearly leads the league in 3 point percentage, and singler. The foolishness here is tremendous.

To complete the rant, why did frank sub in daye and cv with 5 secods to go in each quarter when we were on the line? Are they masters of stopping half court chucks?

Franks cell phone needs to be audited to see if there are any calls from donaghy before the game.

This message was swyped on a phone in traffic.

LA Dre, roscoe36 and copper like this.