Chris Webber coming to Detroit?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by #1Pistonfan, Jan 9, 2007.

1. V!et

V!et First Round Draft Pick

Re: Bonzi Wells & Chris Webber coming to Detroit?

Just heard on NBA TV that C Webb is leaning Towards L.A...

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What are the odds that the Pistons are playing this out to shake up the existing team and steer the press away from Sheed and Flip?

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Hunter should never be a distributing PG... if he's at PG to put out a fire he has to be matched with a ballhandler (Delfino)
    Watson gives Joe some Chauncey leverage.

Did anyone catch Flip's coment the other day after the Charlotte loss.... "We're old".
    That's why it seems adding Cwebb doesn't solve our slowness issues.

4. roscoe36

Webber update

5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Chris McCosky: hard at work.
    No, we see the difference between a team with a good point guard - who's played for the team for nearly five years, accounts for 20% of the team's scoring on his own, has about two-thirds of the remaining scoring run through him, and only has situational backups behind him because he's an MVP candidate - playing and a team with a good point guard sitting on the bench and those situational backups playing 48 minutes a night. The difference is not hard to understand.

It's like saying that the position that Tracy McGrady is a better small forward than LeBron James is foolish because the Cavs play worse when James sprains an ankle and Sasha Pavlovic is inserted into the starting lineup. Well, no %%%%.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

We'd better hope they are about 10,000 to 1 or we are in for a loooong season.

Actually, a relatively short one.:(

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ahb,

It's not as obvious as you think. There were a lot of people on this board taking Billups for granted.

After getting league pass, it really opened my eyes seeing what the average team's point guard does compared to Chauncey. When they play against the Pistons, it's easy to only watch our team. But when you watch 2 other random teams, it is incredible how much smarter Chauncey is.

8. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

You can't claim that Chauncey isn't overrated based on what borderline NBA players like Ronald Murray and Will Blalock do playing 48 minutes per game.

Is Chauncey better than the average team's point guard? Yes. In a league where Smush Parker, Rafer Alston, Devin Harris, and Mike James are starting on playoff teams, he's one of the best; relative to most of the competition, he has an advantage. Is he a great point guard in absolute terms, a perennial all-star, an MVP, a hall-of-famer the way the press (and he himself) would have had you believe over the past year? No. There are too many holes in his game, too many lapses in effort, too much overconfidence.

Not overrated? He's been on an all-defensive team two years running. I don't deny that Chauncey can play good - not great - defense when the urge strikes him, but that's disgraceful.

9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You never heard that coming from me.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's good enough that Joe Dumars will pay him the max. And Joe know point guards. Centers, well, he's out of his element there.

11. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

"There is a perception out there that to sign Webber, the Pistons have to move a player. That's not true. They have an open roster spot."

Where is the open roster spot? Dont we still have rights to Cheick Samb that fills the roster Imo someone still has to be moved 4 this to work
    PLAYER
    Chauncey Billups - C
    Will Blalock
    Dale Davis
    Carlos Delfino
    Ronald Dupree
    Richard Hamilton
    Lindsey Hunter
    Amir Johnson
    Jason Maxiell
    Antonio McDyess
    Nazr Mohammed
    Ronald Murray
    Tayshaun Prince
    Rasheed Wallace

12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Nope, that is the beauty of holding a players rights. He doesn't count against our 15 roster spots. So, we've got one open.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm gonna have to side with ahb on this one... Chauncey is slow footed on D... this compounds our lack of interior coverage.... he is not having a stellar year like last year.... not worthy of max dollars when you consider the implications on our future.... we could give someone like Watson equal minutes and you'd get similar production and better defense.

14. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``Is Chauncey better than the average team's point guard? Yes. In a league where Smush Parker, Rafer Alston, Devin Harris, and Mike James are starting on playoff teams, he's one of the best; relative to most of the competition, he has an advantage. Is he a great point guard in absolute terms, a perennial all-star, an MVP, a hall-of-famer the way the press (and he himself) would have had you believe over the past year? No. There are too many holes in his game, too many lapses in effort, too much overconfidence.''

That's a pretty definitive take on it.

15. Rip 32

Rip 32 First Round Draft Pick

CB is very good but as you were saying hes a little to over confident and thers lapses of effort.Plus before he came to detroit he was seen as more of a scorer not as a defender or passer.he prolly wont make the Hall of fame because hes only been very succesful in detroit

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think we've seen how valuable Chauncey really is. The Pistons are way better than the teams they have faced recently with or without CB. The Pistons have still lost though because Chauncey does a whole lot for this team. Chauncey is a top PG in the league right now. I don't think their is a pg who does not have some big flaws in their game right now.

17. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Steve Nash - No big flaws

Jason Terry - No Big flaws

Chris Paul - No Big Flaws

Deron Williams - No Big Flaws

Should I go on???

18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

No, since characterizing "big flaws" is a matter of personal opinion.
    Even if some respected ex-players and Coaches around the league collaborated to make some sort of "Flaw List" in which players were ranked 1 to whatever in flaws, it would still be an opinion, which noone shares 100% of the time.

Take mine for example:

Deron Williams is inexperienced and inconsistent.

Chris Paul is inexperienced.

Jason Terry is more of a 2 than a 1 (shot chucker), and he is also inconsistent.

All four of the guards listed have been manhandled on the defensive end in head to head matchups with Billups. Chauncey has also outplayed all four on plenty of occasions.

The only player on that list that I could realistically be close to 100% certain the Pistons would be a better team with if traded for Chauncey:
    Steve Nash; however, I don't feel that it should diminish a players status to not be quite as good as the league MVP.

That being said, no team Steve Nash has ever played for has been known for their defense. Anyone dissatisfied with the style of play that Flip is trying to establish is not going to see much different with Steve Nash here.

I think the point being missed with Billups is that more often than not the better player isn't always the best fit. Sure Chauncey has flaws, but I don't believe there are many point guards out there that would be a better fit.

19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Whats the deal with calling Chauncey overconfident?

Does he disrespect his opponents? Does he skip practices and toss game film into the trash with so much as pretending to watch it?

I don't buy that one. This is a professional athlete we are talking about here. Either they have confidence or they don't- and if they don't, they will not last long if they make it to this level at all.

There is no way I can reasonably criticize someone for possessing what amounts to one of the most important qualities necessary to be a professional athlete.

20. roscoe36

I'll take competitiveness over confidence Cloud. If you're going to talk the talk, you better be ready to walk the walk.

Nice to see you around.