Chris Webber coming to Detroit?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by #1Pistonfan, Jan 9, 2007.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Re: Bonzi Wells & Chris Webber coming to Detroit?

Bonzi for Murray should be done without hesitation... even if Bonzi was out most of the year with back problems... it's addition by subtraction.... if by chance Bonzi got healthy he could help in the playoffs (like last year).
    CWebb's ship has sailed... he jilted Joe when we tried to sign him as a FA... now it's Joes turn to return the favor... and no Cwebb is not a dumb player... on the contrary he has always been solid at recognizing situations and making the right play... exceptional passer... he just has no mobility anymore.

2. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

CWebb, doesn't he have one gimpy leg, one nearly useless leg and a huge sense of entitlement?

3. chipi

chipi Second Round Draft Pick

Sheed got along fine with Bonzi back in Portland, but maybe that is why you need to worry...

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't even see C-Webb on the bench tonight in his civis. Have they already told him to stay home like they told AI? No LB sightings either, were they up in luxury box having a cold one and celebrating?:cheers:

5. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

He travelled and panicked, the called atimeout. That's what i saw.

6. DirtyMoney

Chris is always hurt. Sheed has how much downtime due to injuries??

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When you were watching that game and he started signaling for the time-out, did you realize that they had none left?

8. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Talked about Webber coming to Detroit on NBA radio and the feeling was--Why??? He's the samekind of player but in worse shape than Dyess and won't re-shape his game like Dice has done for us. We already have 'Sheed who can do the inside/outside game and Webber would just sit on the end of the bench pouting about the lack of minutes.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The dude knows that his days are numbered and he just wants to come home..and maybe get that elusive title. He came close at the college level twice and once while with the Kings when the refs gave the WCF title to the Lakers in 2002.

If he works out just to stay in shape, .. he can still sit on the bench and waive to his hometown friends/posse and be ready in the playoffs when Sheed fouls or techs out....:)

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is Dyess really better at this point?

I have taken the liberty of extrapolating Dyess' stats from 20 minutes to 30 minutes to match Weber's (this year).
    Dyess/ Weber

Points- 8.2/ 11.0
    Rebs- 8.7/ 8.3
    Assists- 1.4/ 3.4
    Steals- 0.7/ 1.0
    Blocks- .85/ .83

Fouls- 4.6/ 2.0
    Turns- 1.5/ 1.8

To me, it looks like Weber is better. Weber is not a great defender, but I don't think Dyess is either at this point. He gives touch fouls like they're going out of style.

I don't care if we get Weber or not, but he isn't total garbage. He'd be pretty cheap after a buyout, right?

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Our biggest problem this season is a lack of foot speed on the front line. Our perimeter players can't stay in front of anybody defensively and our bigs are VERY slow on rotations and on transition defense. Adding Chris Webber to our lineup in no way solves our problem of speed upfront. That said signing Cwebb makes a few players expendable, as far as I'm concerned Sheed&Dyess don't do any better than Webber on the floor these days. Sure Sheed is ideally better, but there's a huge difference between what you can do, and what you actually DO. Let's say we sign Webber, now we can trade Dale Davis for a solid backup PG (possibly Earl Watson, Mike James or Marcus Banks) which would help us. Or we could trade Dyess for a solid backup wing player say Corey Maggette or Mo Pete-Which would help us. Basically Webber maintains our depth in the frontcourt allowing us to move some of them to pick up a wing player or PG. Not a great pickup but not neccesarily a horrible on either.

12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I sure hope not. I'd take bonzi for flip, but I wan't no part of Webber taking Max's minutes. We don't need another big man shooting 40% from the field. We just need to get a PG via trade and call it a day.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

But who are you going to trade????? It's hard to imagine that there is a serviceable pg out there that some gm wants to get rid of to get ahold of Flip Murray. Our most tradeable assets are upfront, Dale, Dyess, and Max. Most of us agree that Max is a keeper, Dale don't play (even though we want him to) and Dyess.......well....I dunno. Point is that to get what we want we need to move a BIG, and when we do we're going to need another one, and Webb will be practically FREE.

14. linwood

linwood All-Star

Webber is old and slow. I think if we picked him up, he would find himself in the same position as Dale Davis. A few good games, and then lots of time sitting on the bench.

15. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Low, that doesn't tell me Webber's a worse rebounder than Sheed. He isn't. He comes with other problems, but rebounding isn't one of them.

16. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Flip Murray, either Dice or Dale, picks (we've got a lot of them this year)... Depending on the PG, those are all up for grabs IMO.

17. DirtyMoney

I did not realize they had none left until they gave him a tech for it. That detail, I do not recall.

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

19. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Webber would be the best big man on the team not named Sheed. If we can get him for peanuts, this is a no-brainer. Bringing back C. Webb to Detroit would would virtually gurantee that we get the best effort out of Webber as possible. That effort, although a shadow of his former all-star prowess, is enough to make us dangerous come playoff time. He's hungry.

Besides, surrounded by shooters (Tay, C-Note, and Rip), Webber is at his best. Few big men pass better than C-Web.

Sign him up Joe.

20. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

He can't rebound if he ain't playin.