Clean-Slate. How does a new GM fix this team?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Mar 7, 2014.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can't the Pistons just offer him the qualifying offer of $5 million for one year and see what happens?
  2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Dream on. Dumars or is successor won't shop Monroe around.

For names from your list the'd ask ONLY Drummond (and fillers)
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

They will, because they can and to keep him on the roster. Then, if another team makes an offer, the Pistons match. If the GM knows what he's doing, they at least never have to bid against themselves.
  4. max

max All-Star

its up to him. Only thing we can do is match offers then he has to stay.

Did we get anything back when we did not match Ben Wallace contract?

Have to give up anything when signed Smith?

Jennings was a S&T but we were trying to get rid of Brandon Knight

Bottom line - we dont hold the cards in a sign/trade. Have to hope that the team Monroe CHOOSES TO GO TO wants to deal and they have someone we want.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  5. tnt1960

tnt1960 Bench Warmer

6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Sign & Trade actually is advantageous for us. It is the scenario where either:
    a) the team that wants to sign a free agent doesn't have the cap space, or
    b) the player wants to sign a longer contract for someone else

Either situation presents a scenario where somebody else is asking for a favor from the Pistons, which gives us the advantage.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team offers Monroe the max just to sabotage our cap space. Signing Monroe to a max contract would practically ensure that we are stuck in mediocrity for another 3-4 years.
    del and The Panda like this.
  7. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

If Dumars gets fired I suppose other teams WILL have to step up to sabotage us.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  8. Laimbrane

I think the more problematic issue would be a team signing a poison pill-type contract, similar to the one that Lin received from the Rockets, where he gets a reasonable contract in years 1 and 2 but a huge escalator in year 3 when Drummond goes RFA.

(Speaking of the Rockets, they're already at a $71 million cap number for next year with almost $65 million tied up in Lin, Asik, Howard, and Harden. I really hope nobody bails them out.)
  9. blueadams

I'd like to revitalize this thread..
  10. BillLaimbeer

I will help.

[​IMG]
    Rocastle, blueadams, Nemo and 2 others like this.
  11. blueadams

Philosophically speaking, what does this team NEED:
    #1) It needs a great big man. A great low-post scorer. A great low-post defender. And a great rebounder. Potentially, I think we have that in 'Dre. He's 20 and he's the best young big man (i.e. prospect) in the game, IMO. He's already a great low-post defender and rebounder, a great pick-and-roll finisher at the rim, and a great clean-up artist -- and he's only going to improve in those aspects. But he really needs to refine his offensive game. He needs to develop a great back-to-the-basket game. He's got the strength and athleticism. Now he needs the post moves. If possible -- in order to become absolutely dominant -- it'd also be nice if he could develop a mid-range game. Shooting, passing, driving. Is he going to be able to? I don't know, I think he could. Is 'Sheed the coach to get him there? I think so. Let us pray.
    #2) A ball-dominant star. Someone who can penetrate and dish/finish, run a great two-man game with 'Dre, hit outside shots, hit mid-range shots, pull-up. Is there anything even remotely resembling that on this squad? No.
    #3) Three players who stretch and spread the court out with great perimeter shooting, and who guard (and rebound for) their positions well. I think Josh Smith is one of these. Is he a great perimeter shooter? No. Is he a great perimeter shooter for an NBA PF? Yes. And he's also a tremendous defender and rebounder for his position, when motivated. KCP could certainly develop into one of these players as well. But I'm not exactly hanging my hat on that at this point.
    #4) Three bench players who are bench versions of the above three types.
    #5) A head coach who can actually get these guys to do what he wants them to do.

Practically speaking, what should this team DO:
    #1) Tank. Keep losing. It should be enough to get us into the top-5. Draft Marcus Smart. He doesn't have a great perimeter game, and he's not a true point guard, but I love him. First of all, I love his intangibles ~ he's a real deal competitor (a real rareity in today's NBA). Second, he gets to the rim and finishes with the best of em. Third, he's got great size and athleticism for the position, and could be an all-league defender. Is his perimeter game, mid-range game and pull-up game ever going to develop? Honestly, I don't know. But if it doesn't I don't think it will be for lack of effort, and I'm willing to accept that at this point given our circumstances. Is he ever going to be able to develop point guard skills? Sure. Those are skills that can be taught, and I think Chauncey (who wasn't a point guard when he got here either) is the right man to teach them.
    #2) Trade Monroe. He's a top-5 center in the league IMO, but I prefer 'Dre, the two of them don't fit together, and he's too valuable an asset to have on the bench. I've thought a lot about this, and I think the best realistic trade opportunity is Klay Thompson. He's one of the best outside shooters in the game. He has the potential to be a great defender. He's young. He's underrated (for now). And I think he has the potential to explode and become an all-star, like Rip.
    #3) Sign Rudy Gay. I know he's hated on this board, but hear me out. The cap-space is there, we gotta spend it, and we're never going to be able to bring someone much better than him here. He's been an a-hole before, but if he's coached, he can be a great asset to a championship team. He's a great perimeter shooter. He has the potential to be a great defender. He's relatively young. He seems to be learning and improving his game. And it's just always great to have guys on the court who can find the bucket in droughts. He's one of them.
    #4) Use the MLE to sign a backup big man. Monroe, to the surprise of many, will be missed, and Harrellson's not a big minutes NBA player. Just browsing the FA lists, I like Spencer Hawes, but I'm not tied to the idea.

C: Drummond.....Hawes, Harrellson
    PF: Smith.....Jerebko, Mitchell
    SF: Gay.....Singler, Datome
    SG: Thompson.....Caldwell-Pope, Billups
    PG: Smart.....Jennings, Bynum

...Now, I really like this squad. It's going to take some time for 'Sheed and Chauncey to turn Dre and Marcus into what I want them to be, but I like the potential of it happening eventually. Smith, Gay and Klay (especially Klay) all spread the court out for them with great perimeter shooting. Smith and Gay will be great defensively when properly motivated; and it might take Klay some time to develop as a defender, but he'll get there too. Might be a good idea to bring in an ex-great perimeter defender to help them out. Is Shane Battier ready to retire yet? He still lives in SE Michigan. Then on the bench, Jennings is probably the best you could ever hope for as a backup, and could actually be coached into being quite good. Like I said, KCP has the potential to eventually become, at least, what you'd like off the bench at the wing. For now I guess you have to live with Singler, though. If possible, maybe you bring in someone else to help in the short-term. Jerebko's actually got a lot of skill, and I think he's really been underutilized the past few seasons (see San Antonio attempting to acquire him at the deadline). He's a nice Smith backup. I love Mitchell too.. but a perimeter game is a long ways away for him. Then with Hawes, idk, I like him. Maybe someone else can identify someone better.

#5) Sign a real coach. Who knows who the GM's going to be. I'm guessing it won't be Joe Dumars. And that means a clean slate. #1 option for me is, thus, Larry Brown. Best basketball mind in the world next to Poppovich. SMU please. Throw enough money at him, a long enough contract (and for our sake, a HUGE buyout) and we'll land him. If not him, go after Rick Carlisle. He's got to be more than a little bit nervous with Mark Cuban in the red-button chair. Same deal, enough money, a long enough contract, we'll land him (Dirk's not getting any younger either). If not him, Jerry Sloan. If not him, Tom Izzo. If not him, Lionel Hollins. If we put together the above roster. And we bring in a coach who can actually get the players to do what he wants them to do. That's probably the second or third best team in the East immediately, third or fourth best team in the NBA. As Dre, Marcus and Klay develop. It potentially becomes an NBA championship squad.

Just my .02
  12. BillLaimbeer

You want to draft another combo guard and hire a coach that doesn't want to be here?
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He's not even the best center on his own team.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

Maybe the Pistons have 2 of the top 5 centers in the league...
  15. roscoe36

No.
  16. max

max All-Star

Monroe is expecting a Max contract when the season ends.
    blueadams likes this.
  17. roscoe36

Napalm.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

blue, this is the 3rd or 4th time you mentioned that Carlisle must be nervous coaching the Mavs. I don't see how coming to Detroit is supposed to make him less nervous.
  19. Laimbrane

I assume that you're forgetting about Anthony Davis.

No he's not, he's actually mediocre at best. He may someday become one, but he's way behind on the mental aspect of it.

So Drummond needs to learn post moves, develop a mid-range game, and learn to drive and pass... basically he needs to be taught how to play offense while learning how to be more than just a defender that relies on athleticism.

Good luck with this one, there are only a handful of these guys in the league. If you manage to snag a guy like James or Durant, more power to you, but every team wants one and those that have one would like to have more.

No he's not. I want to suggest that he's not even average, but in fairness, most PF's that shoot as poorly from behind the line as he does wouldn't bother shooting them, so I can't be sure. But he shouldn't be allowed to shoot from behind the line, and whenever he does, opposing coaches are dancing inside.

Sure, sounds good.

Yes.
    Yes.
    Um... have you even seen the Eastern Conference this year?

I look at Smart and see Stuckey. There's nothing in your assessment that makes me confident that the Pistons will get anything else out of him.

I'm on board with the idea, but I don't think Golden State would have any interest in paying David Lee money to a lesser version of David Lee when they already have David Lee on their team.

No.

Every team that trades Gay away immediately gets better. He scores a lot, but anyone would score a lot if they took as many shots as he does. He's one of the most overrated, overpaid players in the league, and I don't want the Pistons to have anything to do with him.

It used to be that you had to have someone to bang with Shaq, but now Detroit has Shaq in the form of Drummond. Obviously you need a solid backup big, but it's not that important anymore.

Ten bucks says Sheed is gone when the new ownership/coaching staff comes in. Chauncey, too.

Gay and Smith shooting mildly contested threes is exactly what would kill this team on a nightly basis.

I'd love to see Battier as a coach. Not a head coach, yet, but he'd be a great assistant to groom.

If Jennings were on the bench, you'd get the same pouty non-production you're getting out of him as a starter right now.

He's done with pro coaching. He's happy at SMU, and for once I'm buying what he's saying about where he is.

You mean the same Mark Cuban that's had him there for 6 seasons now (one where he won a championship), compared to the franchise that dumped him two years in right after taking the team to the EC Finals? Yeah, I'm sure he'll be all over that.

Retired, would want nothing to do with this team.

His style wouldn't work in the pros.

I'd be okay with Hollins.

I'll give you .01 for it.
    Walter, blueadams, raxrets and 3 others like this.
  20. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We have lots of problems. It's gonna be difficult to solve them all at once.

I like to look at guys on other teams in situations like Monroe. Not getting the love they should, or think they deserve, or perhaps their team is non-committal or they've been on the trade block. Not saying we should do all of these, but some realistic and in my mind, possible options.

Kyle Lowry. Raptors have been non-committal about him all season. He should have been an all-star.
    Scenario: Trade for Jennings. Unfortunately they now have a competent GM, so Jennings could be a tough sell. Worth a shot though. More physical, slightly better shooter, better on D, better bball IQ.

Gordon Hayward. Couldn't find middle ground on a contract extension with the Jazz. Has struggled being the number 1 on that team this season, but is still having a good season. He wouldn't have to be the man here and would solve our problems at the 3. Can defend enough to make it work.
    Scenario: S'n'T Monroe (13m) for Hayward (10m) and Kanter (7m @ 2 seasons). Corbin has been hesitant to play Kanter and Favors together all season. We will relieve him of that problem. Kanter would come off bench. Monroe should be a better fit for them.

Eric Gordon/Ryan Anderson for Monroe/Stuckey. Salaries should match after S'n'T for both guys. Gordon and Anderson have their share of problems sure, but Anderson would be nice as a stretch 4 alongside Drummond even if we keep Smith. Gordon should be productive if we can acquire a passing PG. His contract is huge, but only 2 years left after this one and Pelicans have been shopping him for years. He has been injury-free this season.
    del and Laimbrane like this.