Clean-Slate. How does a new GM fix this team?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Mar 7, 2014.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dragic is the good version of Jennings.

BallDon'tLie, The Panda and blueadams like this.
  2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Love Dragic, but he is a PG not a SG, but that's cool cos we don't really want Thomas anyway. Great offensive player, but same issue on D as Jennings.

3. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

The PER ratings take both offense and defense into account, of course. Dragic (who we could trade Monroe for) is the 3rd best SG in the league, on both sides of the court. Thomas (who we could sign) is the 4th best PG in the league, on both sides of the court. I didn't invent the statistic.

Nor did I make up that Rudy Gay (who we could sign) is the 5th best SF in the league, on both sides of the court.

..Or that this Brandan Wright (who we could theoretically acquire for very little) is the 3rd best PF in the league, on both sides of the court.

..Or that Andre Drummond is the 4th best C in the league, on both sides of the court.

It might be time for us to all embrace money-ball?

4. blueadams

If some analytics hot-shot is brought in here as the new GM. He hires a great coach. He moves Smith and Jennings for expirings. He trades Monroe for Dragic. He trades (*something?*) for Wright. And he signs Gay and Thomas. I'd be all on board. Just to see how the experiment works.

Can't be that bad, can it? If nothing else, along with a good draft pick here, it'd give us something to build off of again.

5. Kristijan Francina

Kristijan Francina First Round Draft Pick

Tom Izzo is next Pistons coach

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

blueadams likes this.
  6. blueadams

Instead of matching/exceeding the 3.4 million Tom Izzo makes a year at MSU. I wish Tom Gores would just focus on matching/exceeding the 3 million Sam Presti makes a year at Oklahoma City. Then worry about a coach.

Presti's the one guy out there who's managed to do the impossible; he built a genuine NBA powerhouse (for the present and foreseeable future) in a small market in the modern-day NBA landscape. He did this by tanking/developing young players, getting top-5 picks, drafting stars with those picks (Durant-#2, Harden-#3, Westbrook-#4), acquiring smart talent elsewhere (Ibaka-#24, Sefolosha, Perkins, etc.), managing the salary cap well (though, if he could go back, I bet he'd make room for Harden), putting a competent head coach in charge, and supporting him.

He makes 3mil/year. Phil Jackson makes 12mil/year. We could quadruple his current salary and still not pay over fair market value.

If he came here, I think it'd actually be better to lose our '14 pick. I'm guessing he'd move Smith and Jennings (our only contracts beyond next season) for expiring contracts. I'm guessing he'd resign Monroe and then trade him for a top-5 pick (Randle?). I'm guessing he'd run the kids out there and tank, acquire a top-5 pick in the '15 draft (E. Mudiay?). I'm guessing he'd run the kids out there again the next season and acquire a top-5 pick in the '16 draft (M. Newman?). Then hell, I'm hoping that he'd even run the kids out there again the next season and acquire a top-5 pick in the '17 draft (J. Jackson?).

In three short years, our core could look like this:

C: A. Drummond(23)-RFA
    PF: J. Randle(22)-1/2 yrs remaining on rookie contract.
    SF: J. Jackson(20)-4/5 yrs remaining on rookie contract.
    SG: M. Newman(20)-3/4 yrs remaining on rookie contract.
    PG: E. Mudiay(21)-2/3 yrs remaining on rookie contract.

It'd be a sucky three years, I guess. But hell. It's been a sucky SEVEN years!! I've learned patience. At least it'd be an optimistic three years!

7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Great plan.

blueadams likes this.
  8. blueadams

Sarcass all you want. It worked great for the Thunder.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Presti did not draft Durant. He also had good players with expiring contracts that he could trade for picks, and a top 5 pick courtesy of Seattle's horrible record. I think he has done a great job, but let's be honest. He got a team with Kevin Durant, a lotto pick (Harden), cap space, and Ray Allen, who he traded for a pick (Westbrook).

Sent from outerspace

roscoe36 likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Until this roster gets fixed, it makes no difference whatsoever if the coach is Mo Cheeks, Phil Jackson, John Loyer, Steve Kerr, or Tom Izzo. The hiring of the next GM is by far the most important decision for this franchise....perhaps the biggest decision in the last decade.

Sent from my laptop using a web browser

11. blueadams

In a world where the best GM in the league is making 3mil, and phil jackson is making 12mil.. if we give Tom Izzo 4mil a season, I am just going to puke.

Spend the money where it counts. Steal Sam Presti.

12. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I guess Flip Saunders is out of the question.

sent via smoke signal using Pendleton blanket

linwood likes this.
  13. blueadams

If it's young (30 and under) 3-pt. shooters who play decent defense you're looking for..

Danny Green, SG, SAS. 26. 42% career 3-pt shooter. 102 career defensive rating. 1 yr remaining on his contract. Starting for SAS, but only playing 24mpg and scoring 9ppg. I'm not sure what, exactly, it'd take to get him. But I don't think it'd take Monroe.

Danny Granger, SF, LAC. 30. 38% career 3-pt shooter. 106 career defensive rating. FA at the end of the season. 21mpg and 9ppg.

Klay Thompson, SG, GSW. 24. 41% career 3-pt shooter. 107 career defensive rating. 1 yr remaining on his contract (restricted). Starting for GSW, playing 36mpg and scoring 18ppg. This is a trade that'd take Monroe to make, and then some.

Courtney Lee, SG, MEM. 28. 38% career 3-pt shooter. 107 career defensive rating. 2 yrs remaining on his contract. Starting for MEM, but only playing 24mpg and scoring 10ppg. I'm not sure what, exactly, it'd take to get him. But I don't think it'd take Monroe.

Ryan Anderson, PF, NOP. 25. 39% career 3-pt shooter. 108 career defensive rating. 2 yrs remaining on his contract. Not starting for NOP, but playing 36mpg and scoring 20ppg. This would be a tough trade to pull off without giving up Monroe.

Channing Frye, PF/C, PHX. 30. 39% career 3-pt shooter. 108 career defensive rating. Player option at the end of this season. Starting for PHX and playing 29mpg, but only averaging 12ppg.

14. blueadams

I might try..

#1) Trading Greg Monroe for Klay Thompson. It'd be a tough deal to make. The Warriors have Curry at the point. Lee at the four. Iggy at the three. Bogut at the five (bad). Barnes stuck on the bench. Draymond behind him on the bench. Jordan Crawford playing well behind both on the bench. So.. kind of a log-jam at the wing and a hole at center. Maybe they'd be genuinely interested in making the deal almost straight up? Might take some extra assets. But nothing major, right?

#2) I'd trade whatever it took to get Ryan Anderson. Monroe's gone, so that's tough, and negotiations start with our '16 1st rd. pick. Josh Smith or Brandon Jennings? By all means--want 'em, got 'em. KCP and Singler might be of interest. Jerebko might have some value? Mitchell might have some value? Hell, Stuckey? I think we could work something out. Our '16 pick has to look pretty great right now.

#3) I'd trade whatever it took to get Danny Green. Probably not going to be a lot left over at this point. But Green shouldn't cost that much. And they can have whatever they want besides Drummond. Hopefully I can keep the '17 1st rd. pick out of it. Either way, should be enough there to get a deal done.

Then we've got..

C: Andre Drummond(20)
    PF: Ryan Anderson(25)
    SF: Klay Thompson(24)
    SG: Danny Green(26)
    PG: Marcus Smart(20)--I hope!

Three shooters who stretch and spread the court out for Smart and Dre to run a great two man game. Real potential there..

15. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What are the odds on Joe stepping down next week?

It would be in the best interests of the team and I think a good gesture on his part to allow the team to confirm a new GM and enter next season with the best possible opportunity to succeed.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Seems like he will just serve out his contract and then make a statement about how he isn't interested in pursuing an extension. The more face that Gores can allow his to save, the better for both of them.

Then Dumars will sign on with a competitor, be reinvigorated and dominate us for the next 6 years.

17. Walter

I wouldn't be surprised if Gores and Dumars already have discussed and decided Joe's exit strategy.

18. Walter

You are proposing to dump all assets to achieve that roster you listed. It'll work great:

- if the organization and the ownership has the mental fortitude to tolerate three more years of tanking
    - if the team that has been so used to losing terribly will be able to mentally make the switch to becoming winners overnight after the 2017 draft
    - if we are actually able to pull of the S&T with Moose and unload Jennings/Smith for expiring contracts
    - if all the players you listed are indeed available to us when it's our turn to pick
    - if those players actually do pan out in the NBA. (mind you, that's hitting the jackpot 4/4 in 3 drafts)
    - if Drummond still wants to play here after 3 more years of scraping the bottom of the barrel as he watches the team being dismantled around him

That's a lot of "IF"s for that plan to succeed. If it came to pass somehow, it would be an amazing success story - worthy of a feature length Hollywood movie. It's just very highly unlikely that stars will line up like that.

brofmfa likes this.
  19. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

All I know is they better keep Sheed. He has been the only bright spot in this whole loser season......

brofmfa and Walter like this.
  20. blueadams

If we've been able to stay in business these past 7 years, we'll be able to last at least 3 more. If we were tanking and building a real future towards a championship, I know I'd get my season tickets back to watch the prospects develop

That "used to losing" argument is crap IMO. The talented teams win. The untalented teams lose. Joe has been erroneously using that argument for 7 yrs now. See OKC.

Trading Monroe for a good pick shouldn't be hard. Smith and Jennings contracts will have expired, traded or not, by the end of the plan.

Those are just examples of picks. Who knows who will look good come the time. Someone will.

Presti's got a flawless record with high picks. Harden and Westbrook were NOT sure things.

I'd imagine that Drummond would have a nice bond formed with all the other young players by that point and be excited about the future here--as we all would.