Clean-Slate. How does a new GM fix this team?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Mar 7, 2014.

1. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Him and Drummond. Looking forward to an even further expanded role for Dre next season.

2. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Right, him and Dre

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Him and Dre and pizza Guy.

Sent from outerspace

roscoe36 likes this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Him and Dre and pizza Guy and Siva.

sent from a canoe

5. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Some things I think we can all agree on..
    (please correct me if I'm wrong)

#1) Joe Dumars must go.

#2) The GM is the single most important member of a small-market franchise (at least to begin). Tom Gores was interested in hiring Phil Jackson as his GM (he got 12m/season) and Tom Izzo as his HC (I'm guessing he'd get about 4-5mil/season). The top 'get-able' GM in the game, Sam Presti (R.C. Buford isn't going anywhere), only makes 3mil/season. GORES!! Double his salary. Triple it. Hell, quadruple it. You still won't be paying above fair-market value. Do whatever it takes to get that man here. Put someone at the head of the organization who is the best head of organizations.

#3) Drummond is the centerpiece. He stays.

#4) Monroe does not fit Drummond. He must be moved. He has tremendous value. Best trade ideas I have are a top-5-10 pick, K. Thompson or R. Anderson.

#5) Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings do not fit with any winning team. Both must be moved, for whatever can be gotten--likely expiring contracts.

#6) This team needs a ball-dominant star to pair with Drummond. Perhaps this can be gotten with the '14 or '15 pick. Marcus Smart or Emmanuel Mudiay?

#7) Two plus-starters are also needed. In addition to Drummond, whatever we get for Monroe, and whatever we get with our '14/'15 pick. Preferably, these will be floor spacers with great perimeter shots who guard their positions well and rebound well for their positions. If possible, it'd be nice to be able to get whoever we don't get for Monroe--R. Anderson or K. Thompson. Another 'get-able' player I like is D. Green.

Say..

We trade Monroe for Klay. We trade our '16 first for Anderson. We string some assets (Singler, KCP, Jerebko) together for Green. We draft Smart. We move Smith and Jennings for expirings..

C: A. Drummond
    PF: R. Anderson
    SF: K. Thompson
    SG: D. Green
    PG: M. Smart

I dig that.

6. BillLaimbeer

I am probably okay with this much of your post, at least.

blueadams likes this.
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Fixed that for ya.

blueadams likes this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Sam Presti is absolutely not the best GM in basketball. Let us be very clear about that. Right at this moment, that title sits squarely with Pat Riley. 2 championships and a constantly evolving roster. RC Buford is amazing as well.

What has Presti actually achieved? Two good picks, one of which he traded away (Harden), although I really like Steven Adams. One WC title, and another trip to the WCF only to lose when WB went down. He is best known for nickle and diming for top picks and hiding from luxury taxes, trading established talent for unknowns (Jeremy Lamb 4 lyf) and just generally being extremely tentative about taking the last step. All of these labels apply in part to Joe Dumars and we all know what we want from him.

The best culture to have in the NBA is winning. Winning gets you FA attention. Winning breeds more winning. Winning gives you fans and bigger budgets.

9. blueadams

I said best "get-able". Buford's turned down an offer quadrupling his salary previously. What Riley did would never work here, and is irrelevant. Has there been a better small-market build than SA or OKC in the modern-NBA?

10. blueadams

Said Joe-D, at the last six off-season press conferences.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

OKC is not on SA's level. SA had one losing season in 25 years.

[​IMG]

del and Walter like this.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

4. Monroe is our best post player. He has to stay.

5. Both looked awful good tonight. Neither is why we lost this Cleveland game, and neither is very often the reason we lose game. Wrong people to look at as the problem.

7. Or we could just keep playing Pope, who is already a fine defender and shows a lot of promise on his shot.

8. You did not mention any of our real problems. A poor defensive point guard coming in as a sub, Bynum. A shooting guard who has no range on his shot, Stuckey, a sub power forward who is too small to play power forward, JJ, a guy on the team who can guard nobody in the NBA in Singler. And a coach more than willing to play these guys in positions where their rebounding and defense mean they should not be playing those positions.

Back to point one, which I strongly agree with, Dumars is the main problem. All the problems we have of late point to one guy as the problem, and its Dumars.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's ridic.

14. blueadams

Who said OKC was on SA's level?

And I believe my post addressed a number of those issues.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes, there has been a best built and that is SA. OKC is nowhere near their level.

16. Kristijan Francina

Kristijan Francina First Round Draft Pick

Spurs only season under.500 was when rhey were thanking to get tim duncan

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That's not the GM, that's ownership.

18. BillLaimbeer

That's good tanking. Go rock bottom for one season, get a stud, and then resume your ridiculousness of winning.

blueadams likes this.
  19. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Gotta take a break, see you November 2017, bye . . .

coynejeremy, Nemo, kpaav and 3 others like this.
  20. blueadams

So.. This is the most important post I've contributed to this thread. I've been doing some research into advanced analytics. And I've determined that WS/48 (Win Shares per 48 minutes) is the single best, all-inclusive stat by which NBA players are ranked.

I then took a look at the top-50 overall *qualified (and it's a high minutes qualification!) WS/48 players in the NBA this season. I removed all centers (no need to look at them with Drummond in place). I removed all those older than 31 (it's a rebuild). I removed all those regarded as top-25 players in the league (according to SLAM magazine's rankings-the best I could find, no assets to acquire superstars). And I came up with this lineup (below):

Now, I think we have the assets to orchestrate two trades. One around Greg Monroe. And one around our '14/'15 1st rd. pick. The players in red are regarded as top 26-50 players (SLAM), and are going to at least take Monroe to acquire. The players in orange aren't regarded as top 50 players (SLAM), and might not require Monroe to acquire. The players in black are free agents (Team Options or Restricted are bolded; and I did not include superstars L. James, C. Anthony or C. Bosh). *The listing is (age, overall WS/48 ranking, positional WS/48 ranking)

C: A. Drummond(20, #15/#4C)

PF: S. Ibaka(24, #22/#6PF), T. Jones(22, #25/#7PF), D. Lee(30, #43/#8PF), K. Faried(24, #37/#10PF), K. Humphries(28, #39/#11PF), A. Johnson(26, #42/#12PF, *TO), M. Morris(24, #47/#13PF)

SF: K. Leonard(22, #16/#3SF), M. Belinelli(27, #41/#4SF), T. Ariza(28, #45/#5SF)

SG: G. Dragic(27, #10/#2SG), W. Matthews(27, #44/#5SG), L. Stephenson(23, #48/#6SG, *R), D. DeRozan(24, #50/#7SG)

PG: K. Lowry(27, #8/#3PG), P. Mills(25, #24/#4PG), G. Hill(27, #28/#5PG), M. Conley(26, #31/#6PG), D. Lillard(23, #33/#7PG), I. Thomas(24, #34/#8PG), D. Augustin(26, #38/#9PG), D. Collison(26, #46/#11PG)

Looking at this.. I think my plan would be to..

#1) Trade G. Monroe to the SAS for K. Leonard. T. Duncan's 37 years old. That team NEEDS a great post-player in able to operate. Monroe might not be a great post-player at this point in time, but he is good, he is 22, he does have the potential to become one, the Spurs are certainly an organization that could get him to reach that potential, and he would look great at center alongside Duncan for the rest of his career. Plus, M. Belinelli has been playing great at the 3 behind K. Leonard. The Spurs have shown interest in J. Jerebko before. K. Singler seems like someone who might fit in there. K. C-Pope seems like someone who might fit in there. T. Mitchell is a dude that oozes with potential. Perhaps R. Stuckey is someone they'd be interested in getting their hands on? I think we could get a deal done.

#2) Trade our '14/'15 1st rd. pick to HOU for T. Jones. Advanced metrics aside, the bottom-line in trade negotiations IS still that he averages 12ppg, and that makes him acquirable for a top-8 pick. In addition to the extra assets I listed above in the proposed K. Leonard trade, there's also an outside chance that the Rockets might want to get J. Smith and D. Howard back together??

#3) Sign K. Lowry. Should be able to be gotten at a real bargain ~ I saw ESPN projecting his next contract at 5.7M/yr.!?

#4) Sign L. Stevenson. Restricted, but the Pacers are strapped, and he should still be able to be gotten at a real bargain too ~ I saw ESPN projecting his next contract at 4.5M/yr.!?

#5) Do whatever you can to move J. Smith/B. Jennings/G. Datome/(W. Bynum?)/(J. Jerebko?) for expirings...Pass on C. Billups' team option...Build a real bench with the cap-space...Hire a real coach...and we're moving.

C: A. Drummond(20, #15/#4C)
    PF: T. Jones(22, #25/#7PF)
    SF: K. Leonard(22, #16/#3SF)
    SG: L. Stephenson(23, #48/#6SG)
    PG: K. Lowry(27, #8/#3PG)