Clean-Slate. How does a new GM fix this team?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

And what did they get after that ONE bad year? TIM DUNCAN.

-whoops. Kristijan beat me to it....
  2. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

No one has any thoughts on this? I thought, if nothing else, the approach was bright..

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with the part that you haven't had any important posts. :lol::stooges::lol::stooges::lol::stooges::lol::stooges:
  4. blueadams

Don't make this that kind of place dude
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A place where people can come, hang out with friends, talk Pistons, and have a laugh?
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I very much doubt that Spurs will trade Leonard. He is the most valuable player on that roster right now. The post-Duncan team will be built around him.

Stephenson is an intriguing prospect and it is something that can potentially be done. But he seems to like where he is. Would be interested to see how that shakes out.

I think Lowry will get more than what ESPN is projecting.

If you can somehow pull of the Moose-Leonard trade though, I would hang on to Josh Smith. Leonard-Smith-Drummond would be a very good front court.
    blueadams likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Ill quote this post instead of the main body. I like the approach and I like WS/48 but the thing about stats is you always want to combine them with other stats to get an accurate picture because they all have weaknesses. PER undervalues steals and cannot effectively measure defense, for instance. So you may want to combine that with DWS/48 to paint a better picture. Just like 20ppg becomes meaningless if you are shooting 20%. When evaluating players there has to be 3 steps. What does the team need, what does this player have, are they a good fit.

1 - I honestly think that prying Kawhi Leonard away from the Spurs is going to be hard and to be quite honest, I don't rate him that highly. He is a tenacious defender, but just like every other player in SAS, his offense looks better than it is because he plays in such a great system. They have one of the best offenses in the league and rarely take contested shots. The other problem is that they tied a lot of money up in Tiago Splitter, so are they going to be willing to take on 12-14 million worth of Greg Monroe? And actually making a trade? If they actually want more than just Monroe, they don't really have the salary to make that happen - Right now Kawhi + Ayres matches up ok but no way that trade happens.

2 - Putting aside matching salaries on a Smoove -Tjones trade, I just can't see this happening. TJones has made major strides in his game and is a strong rotation player in Houston. I like him as a target, but he isn't particularly realistic unless we are willing to take back Asik. With Monroe gone this might make sense, but he makes $8 million a year and $15 in his last. Thats an ugly trade and locks us into a bad contract. Plus we are talking about a trade with Morey, so advanced stats is all you can talk about.

3- Kyle Lowry is playing like a top 5 point guard. I expect him to earn more than $6m a year. His benchmark right now would probably be a little less than Curry, so 4/40 give or take. Remember Detroit has to beat all the other bidders for his services.

4 - I think Lance is a perfect fit for Detroit in terms of his attitude. But again, he is playing well on one of the best teams which always attracts a premium. 4.5 is way too low.

5 - No way. If we get Asik and Kawhi without moving Smoove and Jennings, I would put Tjones/Asik/Jennings on the second unit and let them play. Keep Bynum and Singler. Even Datome and Mitchell.
    Slippy likes this.
  8. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

I think this team is missing one important thing and that is a LEADER.

There is no leader on this squad whatsoever and hasn't been since Billups left. Yes I am aware he is here again but he isn't starting and may well not even be a part of the team going forward.

Drummond is currently too young and he has admitted himself not yet vocal enough to direct the squad.
    Monroe has never been much of a vocal leader.
    Smith, well we all know about his leadership qualities.
    KCP is again a quiet guy who isn't likely ever going to be a vocal leader.
    Singler may have it but is he ever going to be considered a leader by better players?
    Stuckey certainly hasn't shown it in his time here.
    Jennings hasn't proven to be one either.

Even our coaches since Larry haven't had much in the way of leadership qualities, and the result has been a wayward franchise ever since.

Sure you can bring in all sorts of role players to fill gaps in the rotation but until you have someone to actually lead the squad and have the right mentality I cannot see this franchise getting anywhere.

I think the best bet is to find yourself a leader through the draft as most leader type player aren't going to be traded for because they are considered staples on their current teams.

As much as some people hate him and think he is the next Stuckey, I think Marcus Smart is the kind of guy Detroit will love.

Imagine if Rodney Stuckey would have had Larry Brown coaching him for 5 years instead of 6 different coaches.
    What a different player he would be.

Maybe if you get a stable coach and bring in a guy with the leadership qualities of Smart, you may well just give this team a chance to get back to its winning ways.

The team has the players to succeed, it just needs someone to lead them.
    pass99, brofmfa, Slippy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Spot on.
    I will say, though, that leadership isn't about one guy. Its about a dynamic amongst all the guys. The leader is mainly a catalsyt for a single identity shared by diverse individuals.
  10. Kerghan

That is true but I still think they need 'that' guy to start the process. Once it gets rolling then the others will follow and that dynamic will spread throughout the rest of the franchise.
  11. The Panda

Your leader doesn't have to be your best player. Look at the role Udonis Haslem played on the Miami Heat
  12. Kerghan

That's fine but no one is going to mistake Haslem for the leader of the Heat.

He plays a leadership role but James and Wade are the guys who establish the teams identity along with of course Riley and Spoelstra.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum would be a great leader if he were 5 inches taller.
    coynejeremy, roscoe36 and brofmfa like this.
  14. The Panda

No, people mistake him for not being a leader on that team. That's the problem.

When he talks, everybody listen. And that includes Wade, James and Bosh.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  15. blueadams

1) I really don't like Smith as a part of this team's future, under any circumstances. 2) I wonder if the Spurs would prefer to instead build around a big man? That's really the question. And I think the answer is yes. Leonard, really, is more of a defensive stalwart than a star. 3) I don't think the Pacers will be able to pay Stephenson how he thinks he should be paid. 4) Sure, but Lowry will still be available.
  16. blueadams

I was talking about trading our pick for TJones.

17. blueadams

Excellent point. Starts with a coach, I think. Then players. Is Kawai a leader? Stephenson? Lowry?

18. The Panda

At least you get a known quantity. I like TJones. He is a good player. I wouldn't be too upset with that trade, but I don't see it happening.

No. No. Maybe, but probably No.
  19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Mostly true and generally isn't your best player. However, great teams always have the fearless types having a lot of ball time. A great guard splits everyone into sometimes isolations and sometimes into a form of group cohesiveness. That is what Isiah and CB did.
  20. The Panda

Definitely. I think there is generally a clear distinction between the teams leader and their most talented player. For instance, CHI has Derrick Rose (when healthy) and Joakim Noah. While Rose is the most talented player there, Noah is the driving force behind their identity as a team and makes the whole team play better. Or for SAS, Tim Duncan is the most talented player on the team (EVEN NOW!!!!) but Tony Parker is the leader.

One of the reasons I disagree with people who say OKC is better without Westbrook is because he is the guy who shapes that team and drives them, not Durant. Lebron is likely unique in his ability to be a leader and the best player simultaneously