Cleary: From Scorer to Grinder

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

From the Free Press:

"I know what my role is," said Cleary, who became a dependable grinder last season with the Wings. "I'm just trying to expand on it as much as I can."

Cleary said he's supposed to "be good on face-offs, be strong in the D-zone, skate and be hard to play against. Expand on it. Be more confident with the puck, make smart plays and offense will come.

"It's a role that I've worked on for a few years. It's tough coming out of junior being a scorer," Cleary said.

Also a similar article from the Detroit News

One of the most improved players on the Red Wings this exhibition season has been Dan Cleary.

Making the team as a try-out last season, Cleary has looked much more confident and assured this time.

I like what this guy has done to become a player in the NHL. A lot of people don't realize that he was the 13th overall pick in 1997, and was expected to become a big time scorer. But that didn't work out, and he struggled. He had to learn to contribute in other ways. I have a lot of repsect for this guy for being able to, and recognizing that he needed to, do that.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Not unlike Stevie.
  3. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Pretty different circumstances though.

Stevie did it because he wanted to win a cup, and Bowman laid down the law.

Cleary did it to stay in the league.