Clemens signs with Astros...

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Zoso, May 30, 2006.

1. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

There was some chatter (albeit not that much) earlier this year that Roger Clemens could possibly sign with Detroit. While everyone knew that the more realistic destinations he would choose would be either New York, Boston or Houston.

Well, he made his choice, and I guess home is where the heart is, because he's staying put in Houston.

2. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Yeah I only really follow the Cardinals but I just have to say that I cannot believe ESPN is right now doing like back to back on and on ad infinitum stories on Roger Clemens. Like doing retrospectives on his whole life and career. I mean, come on. ESPN is such a superstar jocksniffing channel but this is over the top even for them. I've got the tv on to record anything about Pistons, and they are doing his entire career like its a damn obituary piece or something. Just because he is going to play another year? They made a big deal out of Brett Favre coming back, but not like this. These are long feature pieces with big dramatic music in the background. I mean who cares if he plays another year? HELLO? ESPN? Slow news day or what?:rant:

3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

WTF! 24 hours later and ESPN is STILL doing Roger Clemens retrospectives. Whole career footage with eery dramatic voiceovers. If I didn't know better and I just turned on the tv I would think that he had died and these are all obit pieces. SO WIERD!!!

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

And it's not like he's playing an entire season either. All the Clemens attention is misguided. ESPN treats this guy like he's bigger than the game. I don't like how he gets special treatment a la Barry Bonds.

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

6. jammertime

Holy crap, JESUS is going to be pitching a game in single A! Oh, wait a second. That isn't Jesus, just a really old Roger Clemens who doesn't know when to quit.

But you'd think it was Jesus, the way everyone is reacting.

From ESPN.com:

SportsCenter will televise Roger Clemens' first pitch for the Class A Lexington Legends at 7:05 p.m. ET Tuesday. The show also will expand its 6 p.m. program until 8 p.m. ET to cover the 60-75 pitches Clemens is scheduled to throw.

Baseball Tonight's Karl Ravech, Harold Reynolds, John Kruk and Peter Gammons will describe the action and analyze the seven-time Cy Young winner's performance. Analyst Jeff Brantley will join reporter Pedro Gomez at the 6,000-seat Applebee's Park in Lexington to provide additional analysis, interviews and updates.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2472013

I can understand the fans in Lexington being excited, but come on man. Do we really need a special broadcast and analysis of his pitches? Really?

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I hope the Rocket gets shelled in Single A.

8. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh My God...

:laugh: OMG. The special two hour SportsCenter that will show "every pitch of Roger Clemens' return to Major League Baseball" has begun. The headline at bottom of screen "Clemens making '06 Pitching Debut" at SportCenter desk shot. SportsCenter anchors are just giddy with excitement. Unreal. 15 minute segment of what to look for in Clemen's pitch delivery, complete with live demos and graphics. This is just unreal!! I have to say that this is the most hyped non-event I have ever seen ESPN attempt. In that alone, it is a record breaker for hype.

I love how they keep calling it his return. Excuse me, I don't think he has ever been gone long enough to call it a return. So he didn't pitch from spring training until now? This is some kind of incredible comeback? Talk to Mohammed Ali about comebacks, gang. Now mind you, it's not his signing with the Astros I object too, but my god, these baseball people must be extremely bored to do all this over this. I know, I know I can turn the channel if I find it distasteful. But it's like when you crane your neck to see an accident, I want to see how much more out of control it can possibly get. Oh there we go, they have a running numerical tally of Clemens pitch count!:pound:

Ha Ha. He allowed a home run in the first inning? lol....:pound:

So now the apologetics "Well, Jim, it's not the usual situation he'll be facing." Too much. :laugh:

If you want some real escapist entertainment, this is the way to go.:)

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's basically like he was out with a groin injury... now he's back. Same excitement level, same amount of time off.

10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Re: Oh My God...

That home run was sweet. Looked like the shot hit off Nuke LaLooche in "Bull Durham." Too bad there wasn't a bull out there to hit.

11. jammertime

ESPN.com - MLB - Rocket to start Astros' home finale

This guy just won't go away! He just can't stay retired!:pound:

Roger's last game. Thanks for the memories big guy!
    Oh, wait a second. What's this?
    I'm fine with him still wanting to pitch at 44. He's still a great pitcher. But enough with the curtain calls already. Either retire, or keep playing. This is getting rediculous. He's the pitcher who cried retirement. No one will believe him when he finally does hang it up for good.

Its almost as bad as Junior Seau's teary eyed, emphatic retirement speech. Only to sign with the Patriots a few days later.

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

I forget...how many times did Michael Jordan retire?

13. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Are you kidding me? How can Phil Garner say the words "come back" with a straight face? This time around Clemens retirement was 3 days. That's one hell of a comeback. I suppose if he'd stayed retired another week or so, he would have asked for a warmup single A game again.

I'm so glad I have NBATV now. I'm watching an interview about the D-League and FIBA Women's World Championships. If I had to watch ESPN, I'd be seeing a one hour special on Baseball Tonight about Clemens' Return to the Mound.

I can't wait to finally see the back end of this guy. I don't care how great a pitcher he is, I want him yanked off the stage with the big hook. :laugh: