Away Cleveland Cavaliers Monday, December 23, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@ Cleveland Cavaliers

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 7:00 PM Eastern

Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, OH

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons need a win and here come these guys just in a nick of time.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Ugh, to anyone thinking that the Pistons have no chemistry, these guys are the Sacramento Kings of Cleveland.

Anthony Bennett is trying to be the first #1 pick in NBA history to play in the D-League. I almost thought that Michael Jordan had picked him, and then realised that it was just Cleveland being Cleveland.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And what happens if we lose tonight? These next three games are indeed MUST WIN in nature.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

We move Kyle Singler to the starting 5 and never sub him out.
  6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

We lost 4-5 must-wins in a row a while ago, hit rock bottom and then won two out of three games and where straight back in the race for home court advantage. This season rules.

Pistons by 12.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

These are far from must win games. Pre all-star break in the Eastern Conference? This is like NFL pre season.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Ernie the Slow Adult and KGREG like this.
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm thinking the speed difference between Howard and Bynum is pretty big. Pistons by 9, Drummond 14 & 19, 4 blocks.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Interesting to see how these two franchises are progressing. Good for Piston fans. The Pistons have drafted well. The Cavs, with all their top picks, really only have Irving. Andrew Bynum just doesn't look at all how he looked with the Lakers. So, the Pistons are above this level now. That is a plus.

The only iffy part of the game for the Pistons was starting the 3rd quarter-- another offensive drought--we have seen this before. The coach put Stuckey in for Pope early so he reacted quickly this time. Problem: Stuckey does not stretch the floor nor does his penetration usually lead to assists. Then, the coach brought in Singler recognizing the lack of motion in the offense. Problem is that Singler is not an experienced offensive role player. And since the offense has so little motion anyway, Singler doesn't get to handle the ball much. As the offense was stilled mainly stalled, Jennings finally just took the game over himself. That is why I like a shooting guard, especially with the current personnel. Jennings should be given credit for nailing the game down for the team. It wasn't the defense that was failing in the 3rd, it was the offense.

In support of the coach, the Pistons need a scorer at the shooting guard to move to another level. That position does not get enough offensive production game in and game out leaving all the burden on Jennings and Smith when the offense goes through a drought. That said, the coach has put little motion in the offense to help the situation out some.

Offensive droughts, more than anything, are why the Pistons are not above .500 instead of below. But, look at where the team is compared to the Cavs...
    Lee356 likes this.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, that was easy enough. Since Bynum, while showing flashes these days of his old self, is certainly not his old self yet. Total zero from the guy. That leaves the quick Irving, who we have a plenty quick Jennings to guard. Thompson did a little damage for them, but really, Cleveland just is no match for us up front. We got 2-1 in paint points. Jennings got yet another double double for us, while our front line went from Smith's 25/8 to Monroe's small size double double. Stuck provided a good spark off the bench, but it was our D that set the tone to start the game, and to get that big lead - yes, you have to make the points count.

For this one, we used an extensive bench, but still no Mitchell. Nice to see Datome contribute some points. But it would be real nice indeed to see Mitchell, like Harrellson, come in and add rebounding and defense to the team.

On a personal note, power is out in my neighborhood with no restoration in sight. You probably won't see me much on the site for several days.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Cleveland sucks. Anthony Bennett has talent but should have stayed in school another year. This game was more about how bad they are as opposed to how good we are or aren't.
    Jennings was magnificent, absolutely brilliant! Efficient and he played decent defense on Irving. As my friend and I were watching the game we saw Jennings do something that he hasn't done all season....turn the corner on the pick and roll and get the ball into the paint! When he did it we smiled and High-5'd! FINALLY!!!!! His one screw up tonight, a blown lay up. He drove in with his right hand, faked the pass with the left hand, but instead of laying it up easily with the right hand he contorted his body to try and lay it up with his left and missed an easy lay up! This kid still has so many holes in his game! I hope he decides to fix his game as opposed to accommodate his weaknesses.
    GiGi and Bennett had a garbage time grudge match....GiGi won! Way to go GiGi!
    In the post game Shannon Hogan asked Smoove what he liked most about his performance tonight and his answer was, "I did a good job of not settling"
    I cried tears of joy.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I only saw the second half...in fact when I turned it on the Cavs had trimmed the 18 pt half time lead down to 10. However instead of folding completely, the Pistons put together a 22-11 run to go up 22 and pretty much coasted the rest of the game. Any thought of 4th quarter comeback was thwarted by the play of Gigi who most of NBA high 13 points in the 4th. He even showed some aggressiveness fighting for a loose ball and a small tussle with one of the Cavs that led to a jump ball.

Nice to get a much needed victory....especially on the road and halt the 2 game losing streak. Maybe they should treat the home games as road games and stay at a local hotel and take the bus to the Palace together.

The Red Wings have a similar issue they are 11-3-3 on the road and 6-10-6 at the Joe....including a loss tonight. The Lions have lost 3 of their last 4 home games, so something is not right in the air for the cities home teams....
    roscoe36 likes this.
  15. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Great game tonight, ball movement and defense was solid but we almost gave the game away in the 3rd quarter as Tristan Thompson went off. But we fought back and regained the momentum as Jennings set up guys left and right to the tune of 7 assists in the 3rd quarter alone. He even won the matchup against Irving as he scored 28 points w 13 assists vs Irving's 28/7.

I'm not sure what it is but we seem to get better when we play on the road. Once we get the same consistency at home, then look out NBA.
  16. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Jennings said they don't have shoots abounds at the palace when they're home. Instead they do that at the practice facility. Maybe that's what it is lol? It would make sense though since it's really Jennings/Smith's/our rookie's first so they're really not that familiar with our home court.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

That was a terrible game, a 2 snoozer. I don't know how the Cavs fans can watch that broadcast team night after night.

"Whoa hoah partner he dribbled straight down the middle for a layup!!!!!"

"Hey, heyyyyyyy, hhhhheeeeeeeeeee dribbled arghhhh right through the fence there and ohhhhh hhhhhheeeee arghhhhh laid it right in! "
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Brutal duo. Blaha and kelser are pretty classy... probably only stands out when you're forced to listen to other teams' guys on lp. They are honest about calls or silent. They give credit to the other team. They don't get on the refs. Many more subtle things too that I've noticed.
  19. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Plus they are such homers.

"Kyrie just blows right by them into the lane, somehow misses the layup" while he was getting his ass blocked by Drummond
    "The Pistons just don't have an answer for Thompson" after a dunk at which point the Cavs were down 25+ points in the third.
    "Anthony Bennett looks real smooth" Followed by a brick at the front of the rim
    brofmfa likes this.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is our highest scoring season since the year after Dumars retired and our worst defensive season since then.
    roscoe36 likes this.