Away Cleveland Cavaliers Tuesday Feb 21 2012

Discussion in 'February 2012' started by roscoe36, Feb 19, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2012.
  1. Detroit

75.0%
  2. Cleveland

25.0%
  1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Small ball? We go to small ball at the end of a tight game? I guess that's why they were getting uncontested layups, offensive rebounds, and dunks in the half court set in crunch time. Wow.

Jerebko was our +/- leader in the game at +13 and we choose to play Prince at the 4 spot instead of him to finish? It's like the coach is afraid to pair JJ and Monroe and it cost us a W.

Nice bagel by Tristan by the way.
  2. copper

copper Bench Warmer

People are giving BG too much credit saying he played okay and hit a big shot.....I could throw up junk like he does all night and finally have 1 go in. He plays like crap and is living off his chicago days. thats all everyone ever says about him...since we signed him we hear " hes a capable scorer from anywhere on the floor and he can put up a lot of points in a hurry" well guess what? its been a long time already and he isnt putting up ****. He turns it over more often then he assists andhis only viable option is a catch and shoot, cause I dont trust him to make a decision that wont lead to a **** shot or a turn over. How does Frank take a time out in the closing minute and draw up a set that goes like this..." BG you get the ball, dribble around like Tay for a bit...then drive to the hole out of control like stuckey used to...then close your eyes and fire up a off balance, behind the back board hook shot, with a bigger defender on you.....oh, before I forget...make sure we still have time on the clock....dont waste the whole shot clock and make it look like a desperation last second shot"...W T F ...The only reason I can see not having the ball in BKs hands is to get him runnin off screens to open him up for a 3 or to drive, since he is our best deep threat. But fif we aint gonna do that? give him the ball and let him create something.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Interesting that Lee356 says we lost since Coach played Monroe and Jerebko together and TaShawn says we lost because Coach was afraid to play Monroe and Jerebko together....
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

Irregardless, Coach is clueless.
  5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

To be fair, JJ played so much with Greg primarily because Max was in foul trouble. Might've been a good idea to bring in Big Ben/Macklin instead of JJ with Greg in there. Playing Max and Ben together was just asking for trouble, especially playing with ball hog Will Bynum and Turnover Sandwich Ben Gordon at the guard spots. That's as good as telling them to shoot every time down the floor.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Tell us how you really feel. lol. BG needs to rack up some DNP-CD until he gets it that you do not pass to ben wallace with 3 sec left on the shot clock. this was like december all over again. i'm sure gordon can be a contributor...just not here.
    Everyone needs to get this memo. This is Brandon's team. Tay. Stuckey. I like what you guys are doing but don't kid yourselves. If you were that good, we wouldn't be here with mid lottery guys looking at yet another. You are filler for monroe and knight. Trust in them and they will meet you halfway.

The lack of mental fortitude is just an indication of a young team. they are inconsistent. The games are coming fast an furious. They need to gel their collective psyche to bring it every game. It will happen.
    BallDon'tLie and alexa032 like this.
  7. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Yeah, I think we probably need to cut ties with BG. Hell, I'd throw in Daye and CV for a tub of popcorn. Was trying to be impartial and not too negative, as he really did hit a big shot...but even then it was because Brandon got him a good, open look. BG can't create his own shot very well, he's like Rip that way, but at least Rip has size. No reason not to have it in BK's hands though, imo; he was the youngest player on the floor for the Pistons and he looked calmer than all of them lol. And hey, at least Stuck can draw fouls when he does his bull in a china shop routine, BG just turns it over. Chad Kroeger's Spiderman soundtrack plays in my head...

I have to say though, we didn't lose this game because of the young guys. We lost because the vets were being big idiots flailing desperately trying to be the heroes. Cleveland's announcers made me lol when they said Stuck was dribbling around like a headless chicken (at the time he was), and then I realized Tay, and later BG and Bynum were doing exactly the same thing and we were in trouble...
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well despite the happiness of the early season taynking squad, I was dissapointed in this loss as was Knight, Monroe, Frank and our own Alexa and Lee.

Traveling on a long trip from Cali to Orlando, when the plane landed, I quickly turned on my phone to watch the game while waiting to deplane. We were up 72-58 with 4 mins left in the game so I had a good feeling. By the time I got off the plane, it was the end of the third and we were holding on to an 11 pt lead, so I put the phone in the pocket and took the tram to baggage area, and grabbed my suitcase. I took my phone out of pocket to see how we were doing and much to my chagrin we are down one, 86-85. I am not sure what happen, but I got into my rental car and sat there and watched the last the rest of the game and appeared that our internal D, decided to allow the #1 pick to take us apart.

It appeared prior to crunch time, Knight was winning the PG honors even though he was getting out assisted. In the end the NBA TV highlights will focus on Kyrie Irvings 4th qtr heroics as the one point differential between the two of them 25 to 24 resullted in the actual difference in the victory for the Cavs.

Despite the perceived bad make up of the Pistons, they still should have beaten this team with sideshow bob sidelined. In looking back at score board, it appears the Pistons were up at one point in the third qtr by 17, so yeah, I would blame some of this on the coach and some of it on the players who thought this one was in the W column and kind of shrugged off on the defense....... Taynk!!! I know JMax was in foul trouble...but once again under six points and only 3 boards. .... I am not sure what Wilkens is doing ( he got 2 steals), but wondering if that time 11 minutes should be given VMac or Doghouse Daye????
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Don't forget about the shot that BG hit at the buzzer to make it a close loss. I believe it was our 2nd game reaching 100 points in regulation and he made it happen.

Irving really turned it on there in the 4th quarter. Some really impressive drives and 3-balls... and assists. But he was Lin-like in his turnovers.
  10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Yeah, but Kyrie looked like he was coasting the rest of the time. Not really something I like to see from my rookie PG, I hate "switches". If it weren't for Jamison keeping them somewhat in it for the first 3 quarters he'd have been comprehensively outplayed by BK. He is really talented though and will be a good player regardless, and he does seem to be quite clutch.

On BG - Frank said the play call was for him (the one with the wtf layup attempt), because it got BK a 3 earlier...erm, what in BG's history with the Pistons would make you think he'd make the right decision there? That was an awful play, and outside of his last two 3s, BG wasn't shooting it that well - he was 7 for 17(!!) in 26 minutes...and I take back my "he played decently" comment as I hadn't seen it before now...for crying out loud, he shot more than any of the starters in at least 10 less minutes. And Brandon was shooting 60%...Moose 50%...really, go to Turnover Waiting To Happen BG...Coaching Loss.
  11. copper

copper Bench Warmer

La, I was wondering the same thing in the midst of the cavs climb back early 4th quarter. I was wonderin if this might be a good time to throw some spot minutes to V mack...hes athletic enough to get some boards and big enough to bang and he isnt a total liability on offense.I would have been happy to see him grab some minutes early 4th quarter when we had seen Max and JJ flounder during the comeback. Then Frank went to small ball instead...ughhhh...there are times for small ball, and there are times not to small ball.....when you are getting outrebounded and having the ball run down your throat? you guessed it....not a time for small ball.
  12. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Front office'd read this forum and showed us what's a good tanking about. C'mon i hate tanking.
  13. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Not sure what the obsession is with Prince. He's 2-for-15 and the coach goes small to keep him on the floor late in the game? And I don't like the call for Gordon on that attempt to tie. We need a 2 in the half-court you go to Monroe because he's our goto guy in the half-court, or you go to Knight because he's hot, and you want to see if he can rise to the challenge. As soon as we started going to the Gordon/Prince iso offense in the 2nd quarter things got a little shaky, and the ball movement died.

I think Frank stuck with that 2nd unit a bit too long in the 4th as well. Can't let them take a double digit lead down to 3 and still not bring your best player in with 8 minutes left in the game. I like a lot of what Frank's doing, but there were some obvious thing he could have done to end this game with a W.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I got a late start to watching this game and went to bed sometime late in the 3rd Q. I am legitimately shocked that they lost.

It is also funny to read Alexa complaining that the Pistons passed up 3 pt shots to take stupid shots in the paint after all the years of complaining (not by her.) about the opposite.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

One thing we still don't have established yet is a go to player in these crunch time situations....Looks as if Byron Scott has settled on Irving.....Frank has to decide if it is Stuckey, Monroe or Knight. It should not be Gordon in these situations.

Also we had no athletic person to match Alonzo Gee down the stretch as he was just as important as Irving in the Cavs comeback. That miss and then offensive put back/dunk was the game clincher.

Not sure if this loss, will deflate the performance of tonights game vs Toronto, but going into the break winners on 9 out of 11 would have at least matched the performance of Linning Knicks over the past 2 weeks.
  16. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Agree with that. If Max/Big Ben had been in it might not have happened, and chances are we wouldn't have had skinny Tayshaun in there getting out-fought for the rebound. If we'd gotten that board, there's a good chance that game might've ended with a win. Going small also made the Pistons' already-weak interior defense even worse, part of why Kyrie could waltz inside uncontested late. It's why we really need a shot blocking big man next to Monroe; intimidate them, make 'em shoot jumpers. It was one of Ben Wallace's strengths before.
    Toronto's defense has regressed a little since the start of the season and they have no inside presence to speak of on offense with Bargs out. Might have to miss the game, but the guards and Moose will be key. Amir plays center for them I think, so Greg shouldn't have as much trouble getting the calls.

As for crunch time go to players, for me, it's Greg or Brandon. If it's for 2, I'd go with Greg. For a 3, it's Brandon. BG can hit from 3 as well as a second option, but it's a mistake to let him create for himself, as they did with disastrous results in Cleveland. That might work for Brandon or Rodney, but not BG. Also, unless the shot is right at the rim, I'd not go with Rodney either until he proves he can hit a jump shot consistently. I agree that Frank needs to establish a go to player so people don't scramble around not knowing who to go to and you don't get players trying to be the hero and sucking at it. Get the ball to the player you want, let them make a decision.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The irony is that Ben Gordon was signed to be the Pistons' crunch time guy. Rip couldn't get his own shot and Joe felt like he needed someone who could create for himself. That shot he took to try and tie it was hillarious. I could just picture Joe pulling his sweatshirt over his head while watching that.
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Worst moment...Gee easily muscles Tay out of the way, late in the game, for an easy put-back. Tayshaun was almost cowering, offering no resistance.
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Unfortunately Bynum seems to be an ace practice player, which seems to be what the coaching staff bases playing time on at least for the bench guys.

This game should provide some excellent coaching opportunities.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not only the worst moment, but it came at the most worstest time. The game was tied with 25 seconds left. If Tay grabs the rebound, the Pistons come down with a chance to win it. At worst case, it goes to overtime.