Home Cleveland Cavaliers Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Discussion in 'February 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I can't understand the reluctance to play the front line together more given this teams inability to shoot 3's. It's not like one of those guys sits and they start knocking down shots. Jimmy "The King" Loyer did better last night than Cheeks, but he still seemed hesitant to embrace this.

This is who the Pistons are. Make the other teams have to battle those 3 for the entire game and wear them down even if it isn't always pretty. The alternative isn't either. Don't abandon the running game just because of a couple 1 yard runs.

Drummond has to get those last 2 defensive boards or all the offensive ones are meaningless. If he got one of them they probably would have won.

2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I don't need notes to know that this wasn't lost by Kyle Singler. I wish I could re watch the game, but I don't record them because I have to watch them online. I agree with you that Singler was poor defensively, particularly going around screens. I even went so far to describe the play that they killed us on, which was a baseline screen on the wing to force help from the post, and then a cut to the FT line to get an open jumper. And they targeted Singler for that play because he was so much slower than Jack around the screen. The other reason they targeted him, particularly on the left hand side? To get Josh Smith out of the post because they knew Monroe is slower than a turtle closing out on shooters at the free throw line.

But this shouldn't matter. The reason teams like Indiana, Miami(when they try), Chicago are so good on defense is because they know what to do. They are all on a string and they scramble to cover any weaknesses. Guys are always going to be a step behind the ball handler going over a screen - feel free to name a single defender who can fight over a good screen and still stay in front of their man. They will always require help. So your argument - Singler got lost on a screen therefore the points given up are his fault - is wrong. Jarrett Jack only scored 9 points. His assists were points he didn't score. They were somebody else leaving Deng open for free throws. If Singler got blown by on a fast break because he is slow, then fine - call him out. But if he gets beat in isolation and the rest of the team stands around watching the layup line, then those points are the teams fault and the coaches fault because nobody else is playing defense or the system sucks. The reason I am constantly saying we should trade Monroe - he is the worst help defender in the league. 1 on 1, he is fantastic, he can strip people, he stays in front. Try and get him to rotate or help, and he is always late or wrong.

And this is essentially why everyone disagrees with you on Singler. Because if his man is getting assists because Monroe can't be bothered lurching 3 feet to contest a jumpshot by another player, or Bynum was trying to gamble on a steal in the parking lot, it simply isn't his fault. Defense is all about teamwork. Offense can be a one man game (ask Will Bynum), but defense can't.

brofmfa and linwood like this.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

TT has more energy at that point in the game. He was hyped.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Singler's 8 free throws seem to be under appreciated in this one. KS missed 4 wide open threes and was still efficient.

basketbills likes this.
  5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The rotation of our bigs needs some serious, serious tweaking. And I'm not sure Harrellson is the answer, but he would certainly help. They were gassed in the fourth last night, and it really showed. JJ put in some good spot minutes, but he isn't going to be enough, and it appears CV will never touch the court again. If we're gonna run, bring back Mitchell, put CV in street clothes, and let the young dude run up and down the court.

brofmfa and linwood like this.
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Absolutely.

7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. It would bring some entertainment to the fans for once.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Why are people saying are big guys were gassed? The entire team stopped moving, not just them.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe we need a new stregth and conditioning coach.

linwood likes this.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Yes, except the Pistons will hire some guy who was cutting edge in 1955 and will have them doing leg lunges and jumping jacks.

roscoe36 likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

With no appreciation for ion allignment or pheton excretion.

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Underacheiving? No. This is what the team is.

linwood likes this.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just plain cheiving.

14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

By now, it doesn't matter what we do. Its better to lose this pick now than give up a higher pick next year. You never know when the wheels will come off. The team won't put it together for a playoff run. They make it great. They don't whatever. Collectively they're still way behind the curve. It might make us feel better that we give up a #15 pick vs a #9 but it doesn't really matter. This is the team. A draft pick won't help.

15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Well good luck when someone needs a frozen banana.

16. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I read all of your back and forth comments on Singler and Bynum and I only know one thing. I literally groan out loud whenever Bynum comes into the game. I know it won't be long before our lead is gone. If he stays on the bench, that's fine with me. If he stays in street clothes, that's even better. I'm still not sure about Singler. I do not watch the games with the critical eyes like alot of you do, but I do think he tries hard.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

When my Volkswagon Pheton has an excretion problem...I get it checked.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You say you won't fault Singler. But when the other team attacks Singler all game long to get their points, its time to take him out of the game. Too bad you can't record the games. I know it takes me a lot of film study sometimes to see these kind of things. Any way, keep watching. Keep paying attention, and keep sharing what you see. I will always enjoy reading your posts. PS, I am hardly the only person who sees Singler as a defensive liability.

hitafreethrow likes this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I find the Bynum criticism a little strange in this one. He was 2nd in the game in points per possession at .92 (tied with Singler) and dished out 4 assists in 20 minutes. How bad could his hero ball have been if he shot 50% from the field?

Meanwhile Jennings had 0.53 points per possession and only 1 more assist in 36 minutes.

There seems to be a tendency here to dwell on and nitpick secondary players while completely ignoring the bad games by starters.

Also, Pope has now had exactly 0 points in 5 out of his last 6 games. If a player like Singler did that, you'd be claiming that he has no place in the NBA. Over this stretch, Pope hasn't had a single game with more than 1 rebound, 1 steal, 1 assist, or 1 block. His rookie wall turned him into the binary man.

When a starting player turns into Mr Zero, it is generally hard to win games. Yet the Pistons have had their best stretch of the season with double digit leads on a nightly basis.

brofmfa and Nemo like this.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Look at what you just wrote, and add in Bynum was negative for the game. Most of my criticism is about Bynum's D, which pretty much always gives up more points than he gets us. On his offense, I did not say he could not score, but rather am pointing out that what Bynum does in no way promotes playing offense as a team.

Regardless of what Jennings did on offense, I bet if you put a unit of Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, and Drummond in for this game, Cleveland would never score. Ever. And we win. That is what counts.