Home Cleveland Cavaliers Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Discussion in 'February 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

My point is that it doesn't matter if it is Singler getting lost on the screen or Tony Allen. It is that the defensive system is more important than the individual players. The Spurs turned Boris Diaw into a useful defensive bench option. Indiana made Luis Scola look half decent on D. Miami can cover for Norris Cole and Ray Allen with an effective system.

Is Singler bad at fighting round screens? Sure. Is that the only reason Cleveland was getting completely uncontested free throw jumpers? No. It doesn't help that he isn't lightning fast, but I saw other players get lost on the same play and it ended with the same result. So the question is, why are we talking about Singler so often?

I also love your passion, and enjoy reading your posts. But I feel as though your malign is misplaced.

You are right. But as I said, there was a stretch of 7 straight possessions where he did not pass the ball. That is unacceptable given his shot selection.

Pope has looked lost out there. I have noticed that he has turned to unnecessary fouling as well. This worries me.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why pass the ball when you are so awesome? That is the dilemma he had to deal with. In the game as a whole, he did have the highest assist rate.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I too have noticed how everyone is giving Pope a pass. The jury is still out on him. We will have to wait to see if the new coaching system...if there is one, turns his game around.

No one is going to pass the rock to him if they are not confident of him hitting the shot. This is top 10 pick and easily SO FAR the worst of Joe's picks selected in the top 10 since infamous Darko.

Monroe, Knight, and Drummond contributed right away, but this Pope kid was inserted in the starting line-up right away and has failed to make a difference despite occasionally shutting down his man...which is even more difficult when you are spending 30-35 minutes on the bench. The only difference between him and our other defensive starter Mike Curry from 2002-03 was that Curry got all of six points a game on layups and free throws.

linwood likes this.
  4. max

max All-Star

This loss was all Singlers fault, I am holding him personally responsible for pretending to be an NBA player.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Singler is becoming the new Stuckey......

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

He's a lot cheaper...

Nemo likes this.
  7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The team needs a serviceable point guard to help with a playoff push. The guard would reduce Bynum's minutes, Singler's minutes at guard and could play more on one of too many Jennings (bad) nights.

I don't understand the controversy about Singler or Bynum. Singler is in for offense not defense and his offense is not up to NBA standard at this point in his career. He is simply not a steady shooter. He can hit shots, sure, but his production is too sporadic. He is not in for defense and is not a good defensive player. So, unless he produces consistently at the offensive end, he is not someone who should get a lot of minutes.

Bynum made a lot of himself to be in the NBA but he was signed in the lean years to provide a bit of fan entertainment. He is a third tier guard who can play 3-4 minutes to change the pace of a game before the other team comes back at him. He is not a point guard nor is he a good shooter. His play in the 4th quarter of the Cav game very much brought the Cavs back. After Bynum made two good plays, he had a string of misses, a turnover or two, etc. that led directly to the Cav run. He did not distribute the ball in that stretch so it was easy to see the result. He was blown by on defense as if often the case.

The biggest disappointment so far and what is hurting the team's progress is the play of Jennings. I don't understand why his play is overlooked. He is the point guard after all and getting the most minutes. Joe made a big mistake by overestimating Jennings readiness to lead the team, step in and hit key shots and get into the lane and pass and finish. Jennings has fallen short in all categories. And, his defense is poor. Yes, he has talent. But right now, his level of play is not consistently high enough to fulfill the role he is playing on the team.

The Piston dilemma is how long can you keep the big front line experiment with such limited guard play? And can you trade for a decent guard without giving up Monroe? I think they should keep Monroe and even if they give him a big contract and it doesn't work, he could easily be moved in later years. But again, who is going to be the point guard going forward? How long do you wait for Jennings? And how long do you wait for productive backups? The team needs a productive additional guard right now.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jennings had been pretty great over the last 20 games or so. He's about +90 I believe with improved shooting. I'm starting to be a bit of a believer, especially with the fast pace.

Singers offense is really efficient. Just behind Drummond, who's a garbage man on steroids (in a great way). Cheeks mentioned that they never ran plays for ks, and he's out there with 3 guys all looking to score. It's understandable that he's had low attempts, but high conversion rate.

9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I like Singlers D.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I do too. It's solid team defense. He's big, he hustles, and he's well coached.

11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I would say watch other teams shooters and watch Singler. Singler is not at the NBA level to take on the role that he is taking--spot up shooter and someone who the coach puts in when they are desperate for offense and offensive motion. I think what Lee has been pointing out and I agree is that Bynum and Singler can hit shots and make plays here and there but overall, they are not at a level to provide what the Pistons need and what other teams in the NBA get routinely. How many times have Singler, Bynum and Jennings hit more than two jumpers in a row? The Pistons are not even in the NBA when it comes to 3 point shooting. Where do they rank?

Jennings gets hot when games are out of reach. There is something going on--a lack of confidence or over-thinking deal--not sure--they need to work with this kid. With a big front line, Jennings position is a key to whether the team wins or doesn't. How many times has Jennings hit a big shot or two in the last five minutes to win games? How many times has he got into the lane in the 4th quarter to get results? How many times have guards blown by him late in games? I root for the kid and cite the fact that he does have talent. But he is like a player just out of his rookie year. And his shortcomings this year are a big reason why the Pistons are where they are at--losing more than winning. Yes, the fast pace may help him some. But again, something is going on.

The organization has a big dilemma. What to do about the point guard situation? Right now the Piston starting point guard cannot finish from the right side. That is a pretty big problem. Joe should have hedged his bet and drafted a point guard to back up Jennings. Can the Pistons wait for Jennings and or can they upgrade at guard without giving up Monroe?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Singler was often brought in by the coach to help with a stagnant offense. He was moved to the starting lineup not because of his defense but because Pope was not scoring or providing movement in the offense. His career in the NBA, I imagine, rests on his ability to improve offensively (mainly his shot) to the point where he is a sharpshooting type demanding respect to spread the floor. No doubt he moves without the ball. He is not the most physically gifted defender and must use smarts and team defense to help him. He is not there yet and the Piston team defense is not good enough to cover for him and Bynum and Jennings...

But again, the problem with the team is the unevenly play at point guard and the lack of production generally from the guards.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Of course, I pointed out as far back as the first Laker game, that this team had no apparent offensive design and was likely to have trouble in crunch time. Yes, the players are lacking skills and or experience but the coaching should have been able to overcome some of that and it didn't happen. I hate to see anyone let go but I am amazed at Gores quick reactions. You can bet he has a small group of advisors and you have to wonder whether Joe is included in that group or whether Joe is an independent opinion away from Gores inner circle?

14. The Panda

Singler isn't a spot up shooter. He makes smart cuts to the basket, sets screens and can put the ball on the floor. He draws fouls. Often he has been the only player there is movement from when our play denigrates into streetball. I'd rather watch him try to be a good player than CV bludge about.

linwood likes this.
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Yes, Singler cuts to the hoop and moves without the ball as duly noted above. Yes, on this team, Singler is also standing alone waiting for the pass doing spot up shooting--quite a bit--and he is not steady enough yet in his second year to take on that role to the extent that he has been asked to do.

But it is the point guard that keys whether this team wins or not quite a bit. That is where my concern is as a Piston fan. I am sure it is the point guard position that will get all the scrutiny between now and summer.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If two guys have the same shooting percentage do you favor the guy that hits 3 in a row and then misses 3 in a row to the guy that hits every other shot? I don't see why that matters in the least.

We stink as a team shooting threes, but singler is our highest percentage shooter (qualified). It doesn't help that josh smith is having the worst three point shooting year in the history of nba basketball as a volume shooter. Reggie miller couldn't counter balance that.

17. The Panda

I agree. Our guard play has been terribly inconsistent.

But I have faith in Jennings. He is getting better.

Nemo likes this.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I hope so. He is the Piston point guard and I root for the Pistons.

19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

NBA shooters hit three in a row and 4 or 5 out of 6 a lot. That is why I used the example. The Pistons don't have anyone on the team that can do that. Jennings has maybe done it a few times, maybe, but when the game was not close to being on the line. It's another way of looking at the teams poor shooting besides just viewing the aggregate numbers.

Yes, Josh has not hit his jumpers but Josh is not the Piston point guard. The Piston point guard (with the big, inside oriented line-up) must hit outside shots with regularity. That has not happened. And Josh's shots are often a function of the not very reliable point guard play and or the offensive system or lack of system. I would be much more critical of the point guard whose play the team's offense is derived from. And strangely, there is little call in the press about Jennings play but a lot of talk about Josh.

I have seen the Detroit papers a while back mention Jennings play once and another time that he had a bad shooting night and I saw Langlois on Pistons.com say once that the organization is not sold on Jennings long term which actually reveals a lot. I really think he has talent but I don't think the Pistons can wait too long on him. That position is just too important. Yes, I root for him--I wouldn't trade him--but I wish he was the first guard off the bench at this stage of his career and not the starter. And, I wonder what Joe was thinking by turning the keys over to him (with only Billips and Bynum as the likely back ups) and not drafting a point guard as insurance. To me, that decision, even more than the lack of coaching, is why the Pistons have a losing record right now. Joe must have thought that Jennings game was ready.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that Jennings' shot has beed bad, that's why he had a low percentage. Just saying that you don't have to break a percentage up by sub streaks to make one better than another.