Cleveland - November 28

Discussion in 'November 2007' started by BillLaimbeer, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Tale of two halves. Close game in the first half. Bron is injured, and does not play the 2nd half. We win the 2nd half by 30.
    Billups started out things on the right foot, posting up on Gibson. The post up theme just kept on going. And going, and going. Murray successfully posted up Gibson a couple of times. Rip worked the post a bit. Sheed a bit. Dyess some. Maxiell a lot.

Speaking of Maxiell. I, many others, noted last year how much better Maxiell did when he got playing time. Is he rebounding better now - sure he is. But its not because he got better. By playing a lot, he has just gotten more comfortable with his role. He is getting automatic on his short jumpers, and at the free throw line.

Neither Amir nor Afflalo got any playing time other than garbage time. Amir got to shoot a bit, working inside and scoring a few times. Made his free throw too. A meaningless dunk at the end of garbage time was his highlight.

Rip was hitting his shots. Tay was too plus getting inside on them. Did I mention he was posting up.

Hayes had a terrible game really. Sure he scored some points in the 2nd half when the game was not in doubt. So what. In the first half he gave us nothing, and gave Bron an easy way to score buckets.

Mohammed did not do much. Played quite a few minutes.

Hunter played backup point, while Murray played backup shooting guard. Hunter did ok on defense, and dished a few assists.

Ok, great we won a game. But another huge step backward in our preparation for the playoffs. Two straight games now without Amir nor Afflalo in the rotation. No Samb. Apparently Stuckey will be back soon. And Afflalo already is not playing. Not a good sign.

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not much to say on this one. 5 point halftime lead by Pistons that should have been 10. Nazr foul injures La Bron. if Nazr had played in game 3 of the EC finals and coincidentally caused the same foul, Pistons win series 4-0:)

The Pistons offense played well in the second half, and piled up 30 assists on 58% shoooting for the game....but with plenty of defensive boards and offensive opportunities with King James missing, who knows what the real outcome would have been. Either way it gave Flip Sr a chance to get more PT for his bench. ...even if it was in garbage time. Should have played the newbies earlier...

Hopefully La Bron's injury is not to serious.... I need his triple doubles for my fantasy team:)

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hayes: 4-6 FG, 1-1 3FG, 2 reb, 1 ass, 2 stl, 2 blk, 9 points in 18 minutes

Mohammed: 3-4 FG, 1-2 FT, 5 reb, 1 ass, 7 points in 19 minutes

4. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

And most important stat of Mohammed in this game: 1 injured LeBron.
    :MusicBigGrin:

5. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Jeez, you guys realize that we would have lost this game with LeBron in. He would have hung 38 points and we'd have lost by 3. Gaaaah.

:gun1:

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We need more NazMo, the enforcer! The DECIDER!

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I wonder if Flip is ever going to try Afflalo on LeBron or continue to let him light Hayes up or play Tay 48 min a game.

The fact that Afflalo is a stud, played well, was aggressive, and gets no playing time aggravates the hell out of me too (and him too i'm assuming)

If by the all star break, both those guys aren't getting solid important minutes something is seriously wrong.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lebron = MVP

They really suck without him.

Every single Piston had a good game.

How about that pass from Murray to Mohammed? Who would ever think that combo would produce such a nice highlight.

Amir with some great athletic post moves. He was going left both times. Looked comfortable finishing with his left hand too.

Rip showing why he shouldn't be traded.

Dyess putting in another solid performance.

Maxiell grabbing rebounds for real.

Would have been a perfect game to put Samb in. Up 20+ in the 4th quarter at home against a team that has the MVP in a suit. If he doesn't get in this game, then they may as well ship him to the D-League.

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Ok if we just base the game on the 1st half, it was real solid. Great ball movement and balanced scoring. Rip was moving off the ball, Tay and Dyess were also getting enough touches to contribute. We also held them to only 43 pts in the first half. The 2nd half we got to get extended mins for Amir and he played well. Some real positives in this game.

The one Big Negative was the fact that all of a sudden Flip wants to get Lindsey integrated into the system. WTF???? AA plays very good one game, the next game he gets limited mins (3mins) but still played solid ball, the next game he gets benched in favor of Lindsey until garbage time??? If we weren't blowng this team out he wasn't even going to play?? Man thats some BUUUULLL. I think it's clear Flip reads this site and wants all of us to know that AA is not going to get anywhere near the starting lineup, or become a regular rotation player. I guess he showed us.

On a side note, Rip looked good starting because he was moving off the ball, the team was SHARING the ball so Dyess and Tay didn't froze out. However Billups and Sheed probably had a night off.

10. max

max All-Star

I suspect that if it was completly up to Flip he would only play Flip Murray, Hunter, Hayes, Maxiel and Mohammed off the bench. He does not want to bother with young players.

Main problem is we would basically be swapping out Cwebb for Jarvis Hayes compared to last season and last seasons squad did not get it done.

A pattern is developing here. We will see once Stucky gets back if he can get a fair shot against Flip and Hunter.

Cavs sure are pathetic without Lebran.

11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Meaningless win unfortunately. Without Lebron they're probably the worst team in the league. Not to mention they were playing their 4th game in 5 nights (after an OT game to make it worse).

Nice move from Flip yanking Amir and Afflalo from the rotation entirely in favor of Hunter, Nazr, and more Flip Murray. Typical. If Lebron plays the 2nd half, Amir gets a 2nd DNP in a row, and we're lucky if Afflalo gets his usual 20 seconds to end the 3rd quarter. Flip lucked out that the Cavs packed it in, so now it looks like he made an attempt to play them.

Not sure why Flip Murray should ever be on the floor with Chauncey unless Rip is in a suit. And I hope Flip learned his lesson about putting Jarvis on Lebron. Probably not though.

Max looked great. 9/10 in 15 minutes. Amir finally got a chance to play some offense, and he showed a solid post game.

heh, sorry for the scattered thoughts.

12. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Actually he is swapping out Webber for Nazr and Delfino for Hayes.

:hoops:

13. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No James, no chance

Who started then?

Gooden finds plenty of rivals on the court

Even when we have more depth, you don't play them unless it's garbage time. Does Flip knows what he's talking about?

14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Just to get back to a couple of positives from this game, most of which were apparent in the first half even before LeBron got hurt:

-- Tay and Rip both had extremely productive nights in the same game, which hasn't happened much yet this season.

-- The ball movement was great, with almost every basket in the first half coming off an assist, so the isos were kept to a minimum. And the few they went to were usually productive, like when Flip Jr. backed down Boobie and torched him twice within the span of one minute or so in the 2nd quarter.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I thought Lindsey was actually being pretty disruptive on defense. I like to see him in there with that high energy annoying D.

But, I'd like to see this for about 5 minutes maybe once or twice a game. If he's forcing turnovers, let it ride, but if the other team deals with it, get him out of there.

At this point, he is a very unique role player.

16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yeah, against teams with weak ball-handling second units, he could be useful for a few minutes here and there. Just don't use him as any sort of primary backup PG.

17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i don't really have anything to complain about, other than Hayes can't guard Lebron and as soon as Hayes entered the game, they went after him and scored some buckets.

In the first half, and especially the 1st quarter, we had a solid gameplan. Rip showed why he he's a starter, and was used in a way that actually played to his strengths, and he didn't force anything. I like how Tayshaun is being more aggressive and selfish, looking for his own offense and doing very well with it. When he gets in the lane that jump hook is money. We got payback on Gibson - got rid of his offense by making him play defense, and completely obliterating him. He shouldn't be running the point for that team. We gave Lebron a couple hard fouls, and Nazr did his job, and even gave the quote of the night after. Lindsey played well and really bothered the Cavs with the trap. It looked like we were giving Cleveland a taste of their own medicine from last year's playoffs, and I liked that we were making them play our game, rather than reacting.

Flip Murray actually played under control offensively, and was clearly looking for Amir in the 4th quarter. Sounds like someone had a talk with him. Maxiell was great and continues his run of strong play against the Cavs, and without Varejao there was no one to take away rebounds from him. Amir has a knack for putting the ball in the basket even though his moves don't look like traditional post moves. He looks like Maxiell last year though, not boxing out for rebounds or positioning himself all that well, but he'll learn that as he goes along. You could see Nazr's experience getting rebounds over Amir, even though he's far less athletic and can't leap as high.

So again I have nothing to complain about. None of the starters played heavy minutes, and our bench got time and obliterated the Cav's bench.

My favorite part though, was the post-game. Eli Zaret got OWNED by Kelser and Blaha. First Eli tried to do some of his own editorial, talking about other arena's PA announcers saying he thought they were getting annoying and intrusive. Blaha tried to help him out but Kelser just laid the smack down, stating he didn't notice anything like that at all. Then Eli was clearly flustered and tried to recover talking about the Bucks, and asking what they thought of that Chinese Center Yi, at which point Blaha corrected him and stated he was a Power Forward. Great stuff.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You know what was intolerable? Listening to McCleod off the Cleveland feed through league pass.

He was going over board to show the Cleveland fans that he doesn't have any feelings for the Pistons.

Every borderline call, he would get up in arms over. Then he said something like "All year long, Detroit fans have been dwelling on the fact that Detroit continuously let Lebron get to the rim. Well toooooo bad."

What a ________.

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

For all the whinig and complaining that I do I just realized something. For us to get to the Finals we only have to prove that we can beat 3 teams: Boston, Clev and Orlando. Well we beat Orlando earlier and I don't think that they have enough to beat us yet, we just beat Clev (if we're only counting the 1st half) all thats left is Boston. Aside from all the crap we spew, one thing is certain, we can still beat the rest of the contenders in the east and we are going to get better. This team has not played it's best ball yet and that ios a good thing. Just wishh they'd work a lil harder and play with more consistency.

20. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

We have to beat Stern and his minions and the media. We didn't succeed the last two years even though we had home court advantage and going against Boston, if that who we wind up playing in the ECF will be even harder.

Boston back in the NBA Finals. That will definitely raise the TV ratings increase the advertising revenues etc etc. It doesn't matter if they win, like last year it didn't matter if Lebron won, just as long as he/they got there.

Is there anyone who can deny that a Boston against Team X Finals won't draw a lot more attention and higher TV rating then the Pistons against Team X.

This doesn't mean that we can't beat Boston if we play them in the ECF but is there anyone here who will gladly give them the home court advantage? Not this guy.

:hoops: