Clippers Are Now A Prime Target For A Pistons Trade

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 20, 2009.

1. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Nice post. Very true. Although I suspect ol' Ebenezer will be looking towards that salary coming off his own books, if we absorb his contract and not send anything of value back we could rent not as good as he can be for a year. And despite his age and suspect D outside of the paint, I would think it would turn out better than the last rental we did. How could it be any worse?

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Clipps will keep Zach because they know that no wants to absorb his salary and despite the "cancer", he was their most consistent scorer last year, so it will be one of the other bigs they will probably try to move.

The problem is Camby is older than both Sheed and Dice (35 years old) and we need to go younger not older. Kaman is younger at 27, but has only played 86 games the past two years with a series of back and leg injuries. Maybe we should be looking at Al Thornton who will be in his third year. However he may just be a younger version Tay w/o the defense and 3 pt shot, but an upgrade over both Amir and Max....alas, we may as well keep just Tay, unless the Clips want Fabio and one of our second round picks for Thorton

3. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not too sure about this one. We would be getting a whole lot older (and a lot more injury-prone). Most of the successful teams these days are getting younger. Even the Spurs are now getting bounced in the first round which is still a talented, but aging team.

Kaman and Camby just wouldn't get me very excited about Pistons basketball and is probably a move in the wrong direction. I want a team we can build over the next 5-6 years. This would just seem like prolonging the rebuild for a year or two without actually regaining elite status.

4. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

I don't know if this is par-for-the-course when talking about Zach Randolph, but he missed games this year for a variety of reasons.

He was suspended for a couple games for punching some ponytailed guy in Phoenix, and then for a couple more when he picked up a DUI at the end of the season. He also missed several games to visit with his father, who died during the season.

5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Would Darko come back to Detoit and would we want him now that he has NBA experience? He isn't a superstar but would be a nice compliment to Kwame Brown.

6. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I remember when Memphis came to the Palace this year, Darko had a really nice first half. He was damn near dominant in about 10 minutes of play. He came out in the second half and was promptly dominated by Kwame for the rest of the game.

The two "busts" exchanging blows.

Although if you took to good stretches the two of them played that game and put them together, you would have high quality play at the 5 spot for almost the whole game. Maybe in that way, they could compliment each other.

7. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

How do you figure we would be getting a whole lot older? I suppose this would maybe be true if we sent Amir and Max over but if you compare them to the two guys who's roles they would replace it looks to me like we would be getting younger.

Age at the start of next season:

Camby - 35 (expiring contract after next season)
    Kaman - 27

Sheed - 35
    Dyess - 35

I don't think this is by any means the best we can do but I just don't see how this would be a move in the wrong direction. Especially when you consider Camby's expiring contract after next season. Expiring contracts, as you may know, are a great thing to have when you are a team looking to rebuild.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm pretty certain that he would choose Europe over Detroit.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I know Kaman and Camby have had some durability issues in the past, but I think they'll flourish here playing 45 MPG in November under Curry.

Plus, I think anytime you get a chance to steal the front court of a 19 win team then you got to make that move or it will haunt the franchise like the Darko pick.

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, didn't realize he was that old.

11. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Wow me either, haha that's nuts. Well forget Camby, and after checking Kaman's salary (he made ~9 million last season) I'm not so sure. For some reason I thought Camby was like 29/30 and Kaman does make alot of money, but big men are hard to come by. I retract my previous statement and I think if these are the only two big man available in a hyptoheical world I would stick with Kwame..he makes around ~4 million and he's average for a big man, especially for the price.

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Sounds like a reasonable extension of logic occurring at the right moment. Camby is an aged BenW with an equally bad contract.

Kaman is desperate reach for any big body that might move around the basket, since everything outside of the 10 foot range is just too much effort and nose-bleed territory. I can't wait to have this lump of coal around struggling clean air till the year 2012.

Are these West Coast teams nuts or what?

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The league refuses to learn that size without skill, or size without heart, or size without health, is an enormous waste of money.

Big men are particularly fragile. The human body is not constructed to be over 6'10" tall, these guys are in the whatever percentile, and evolution tests the fringes, but typically concludes the fringes are dead ends.

Or maybe I am just trying to make myself feel good for being an average height.

14. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

5'4" is NOT average.

15. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

:pound:

Excellent assessment; couldn't agree more.

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ernie, you are a good person.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How about the Bobcats? Don't teams usually dump all their contracts, regardless of talent before they sell their team?

18. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

It's been a while...

I was as disappointed with this season as any Piston fan would have been, but it's still all good to me. We were too spoiled.

It gives all of us who follow this team, something to discuss.

Here's the thing...let's face it, this isn't a really big draft. It can either be really weak or secretly deep, but I think it's the former. The Clippers have the chance to get the next thing close to a proven commodity and that is Griffin.

Here's my proposal:

I read in some rumor mills that the Clippers could trade away the number 1 pick. Some on this thread have proposed Kaman, Camby.

I say: Trade for the number 1 pick and the chance to get Griffin, and since we have the cap space, help the Clippers by taking Baron Davis off their hands. I'd say that's attractive enough already. If we can get Camby in that deal I say that would be gravy.

Amir, two second rounders, sign and trade with Wallace, Kwame?
    I really hate giving up Rip and Tay.

In Joe we trust

19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't think even the Clippers would be stupid enough to trade us the #1 pick, but you never know... they are the Clippers after all.

NO to Baron Davis though. Even if we got the #1 pick in return, that contract would keep us down for years.

20. max

max All-Star

That is funny:pound:

Because it is so true.