Clueless Coach or Dumb Dumards

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Nov 1, 2010.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Might as well have a thread solely dedicated to this debate. We're 0-3, but we could be 3-0. Who's fault is this? The Clueless Coach or Dumards the Dummy GM? I have my own thoughts but I'd rather hear you all's before I put in my 2 cents.....
  2. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Looking at this roster, it's not exactly like 0-3 is underachieving.

Then again, the coach hasn't done anything to make him look like he'll be manning the sidelines for a long time.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I have no idea who in this organization has the final word.

Because owners definitely are not interested in this franchise.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What exactly do you mean?

I read there were at least four potential owners interested in the franchise and a purchase by one of them is currently taking place.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I blame Dumbars. He hired the coach. He gave us the exact roster of players. He signed off on all of our existing draft picks. He overloaded us with SF's while he traded an all-star PG for a guy currently playing in Turkey. He sent away our young big men after his development plans (which mainly involved sitting on the bench and learning) failed. He overpaid for 2 offense-only players who can't crack the starting lineup.

Why would you possibly blame the 4th coach in a row who came up short? This is his first gig. It's not his fault that he's figuring out how to be the man on the fly.
  6. Brap

Brap Starter

Here's the other perspective. We were on top for about a decade. Teams on top end up on or near the bottom for awhile.

Dumars is building up a team of assets. Assets = guys who can help us win in 2 - 4 years, whether they're on the roster or not.

Assets on this team = Stuckey, Bynum, Gordon, Rip (trade bait within a year and 1/2), Tay (trade bait now), JJ, Daye, Monroe, CV (big time scorer, not terrible contract), White (maybe - admittedly a stretch and hope and prayer), Summers (see "White"), 2011 first rounder, 2012 first rounder, Wilcox (contract). Maxiell's (because of contract a year or two from now --he's a hustle guy some team might well want - he could be a nice 10th man on the roster for a good team).

Obviously we don't have big mooses at the power positions right now - but Monroe could well be one in 2-4 years.

Stuckey, Daye and Monroe are potential stars - not superstars, but all-stars - in this league. JJ is close to that IMO, and Gordon, if used right, would be Vinny Johnson off the bench.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It seems kind of silly to blame the guy in charge who has all the power and everyone trips over themselves to compliment if something works out so I'll go with the coach.

Here are the power rankings from Marc Stein @ ESPN. I didn't know they opened the season as the lowest ranked team in the L!?!?

In any event they moved up a spot haters so stifle it!!!!!

NBA Basketball Power Rankings - National Basketball Association - ESPN
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, like the Lakers, the Mavs, the Spurs :-)
    Does anyone still remember Joe D's blabla about rebuilding without going through lottery - nice job, Joe.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If those guys are potential all stars, then there are about 150 potential all-stars in the NBA right now.
  10. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

He meant going through the lottery without rebuilding.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

As Rodney Stuckey predicted before the season, the Pistons have emerged as the team to beat in the EC. Literally...this is the team everyone looks forward to beating.

Dumars has put together this mess of a roster and he hired the coach.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The thing about Joe is that over the off season, he was still convinced that we are a strong team that was just beset by injuries. He needed to see this in action because he is delusional. He sees no fundamental problem with the player mix. He's convinced himself that the players are each so versatile that they can play multiple positions and create mismatches, etc.

I'm wondering if the vision change and the abandonment of core values had something to do with the departure of Hammond.

Of all the ones that got away, maybe this one was the biggest.
  13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am pretty sure Hammon stood behind all that; he turned the Bucks into a really good team while JoeD's last good decision was... drafting Daye?? And what good decisions did he do more after Hammond left?
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have seen all three games for the both the Pistons and the Clippers and both deserve to be at the bottom. I don't think Vinnie knows his players yet so I give him a slight pass. But Kuester is in his second and despite them sitting on the bench for 130 games or so, he still should know his rotations and know how to make adjustments.

With that being said, it appears that Joe's judgment on the potential of draft picks has carried over to his judgment of picking coaches.

We all know that Curry was the wrong choice, but I will go out on a limb and say that with him, we'd probably be 2-1 now instead of 0-3. Although Flip won games, it appeared that he was still the wrong choice overplaying vets so that they would flame out by game 6 of the EC.

I am still thinking that going with a proven coach would have been better than going with Curry or Kuester as you were going through a transition and still thinking you could compete. I mean if you were going to ignore Laimbeer, then Avery or Van Gumpy (who is probably still waiting for Joe's call would have been better choices.)....at least the got their teams to the finals or close to it. Kuester once had a college team that went 1-27 for a season....he should have quit the coaching game then...

So this one is on both of them
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

WIN! :winner_first_h4h:
  16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Close 2nd.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

If the Q-man is here next season, then it's all on Joe. The team will not be successful this year and the Q doesn't seem to understand what to do.
  18. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

As for me I'l be pointing to two peeps the owner and JOE D..
  19. Brap

Brap Starter

Pistons' Richard Hamilton questionable, Charlie Villanueva a game-time decision for Boston game

Published: Monday, November 01, 2010, 4:05 PM Updated: Monday, November 01, 2010, 4:12 PM

[​IMG] Chris Iott

Richard Hamilton injured his foot and Charlie Villanueva sprained his ankle Saturday night in a 101-91 loss to the Chicago Bulls. Hamilton is questionable for the game Tuesday night against Boston, while Villanueva will be a game-time decision.
    Will Bynum (out) and Chris Wilcox (doubtful) are both still battling sore hamstrings. If those four are unable to play, the Pistons – already without Jonas Jerebko (torn Achilles tendon) and Terrico White (broken foot) – will have nine players available against Boston.
    Pistons coach John Kuester said Austin Daye would still likely get most of his minutes at power forward. That very likely means DaJuan Summers will back up Ben Gordon at shooting guard.
  20. Brap

Brap Starter

Jeesh - possibly explains a lot of the collapse last game.